Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Right on @maf

2. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Plat de jour

Some nice colours on Inaba Shidare this year
    Aoyagi with cluster of samaras (1st year I’ve seen them on this tree)
    Rectilatum
    Palmatum red
    Emerald lace
    Baldsmith
    Filigree
    Imposter fern (any idea what type) must have been brought by a feathery visitor
    Sango Kagu - photo only shows the upper half..I cannot believe how quickly this has grown in a pot..I bought it off Pat at Hippopottering in Hampton Court show about 5 years ago as a £25 tree..was probably 40/50cm, now it’s 3.8m, quite column like/witches broom densely leaved form rather than wide triangular form..I have another SK with bark that’s greenish/yellow/pink rather than red thats has a totally different form..wide bush like, hasn’t grown taller than 1.5m in the same period.

Attached Files:

MapleMO, Xi-feng, wind-borne and 4 others like this.
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I was looking forward to seeing your Filigree again R and it has not disappointed. 'Absolutely beautiful'.
    D

4. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Many thanks..another one from Pat…

5. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

That’s a lovely tree and looks very similar to what I just picked up the other day. I think mine may have been mislabeled cause it’s not totally following the description

6. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

So I think I’m trying to fill a void and grabbing more trees cause I can’t get a hold of the peaches and cream I want. I do have plans to add more maples to my yard but this one sorta just grabbed me. I thought it would look lovely next to the red dragon. It says it’s “Rising Sun” but when I read the description it isn’t green enough. Maybe cause it’s in full sun when at the nursery and certainly again at my place? I find it just lovely and hope the larger leaves will handle the wind that my yard can get along will full sun. I’m not 100% sure it will stay in that spot but that’s as my original idea.

Attached Files:

AlainK, MapleMO, Xi-feng and 3 others like this.
  7. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Love that Olson’s frosted strawberry!!!

Xi-feng likes this.
  8. Keith Elliott

Keith Elliott Contributor

Good morning Lisa...it looks like it's raining in New West as well this morning. Have you tried Art's out in Langley for your P & C, or the nursery right across Glover Road from them (Cedar Rim???) probably got that last name wrong. We're going down to the coast this weekend and plan on visiting both nurseries. I can check to see if they have one if you like.

9. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Thanks so much for the offer @Keith Elliott Yes I frequent them often. They did have one earlier in the season but I didn’t get it cause I didn’t think I could meet the shade requirements. Now that I have the plans to redo my back yard solid I have a perfect spot. Cedar rim had one but it was like massive I’d need equipment to lift it as it was in a crate. I’m pretty sure I can get it in fall but I’m very impatient

Keith Elliott likes this.
  10. Acerholic

The japonicums handle the sun better than the Shirasawanum's Lisa, so you should be fine.
    It's absolutely gorgeous BTW.

D

Lisa Harry likes this.
  11. Keith Elliott

Oh good. Then you doubtless know them far better than we do. Some of those crates are something like 4 feet square, huge things. A lady impatient? Hard to believe! I hope your wish comes true soon!

Lisa Harry likes this.
  12. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Thanks D do you think it’s actually a rising sun though?

13. Acerholic

Tbh Lisa I'm not so sure. The leaves should be very green now if it were Rising sun. But the size does point that way yes. So there is conflicting evidence.

Lisa Harry likes this.
  14. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Hey @Keith Elliott im at arts now anything your looking for

15. Keith Elliott

Wow! Talk about service! Well, I will be looking for just a couple of small J maples this weekend (Saturday we should be there) so if they have anything like that.....thanks.

16. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Hey Keith they have a ton.

17. Keith Elliott

Excellent Lisa. Thank you very much. I will be bringing back a few this weekend. Gotta start somewhere.

18. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

They have a few “fairy lights” floating cloud, tsuma gaki, crimson queens, moonrise , golden full moon, kiyo hime. Quite a good selection you picked a good time to come

19. Keith Elliott

It's not so much a question of picking a good time Lisa, we are actually going to the coast to watch two grandchildren graduate. In another 6 weeks, Val has surgery scheduled, so another excuse - sorry, I mean reason - to look at more plants!

20. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

Nice @Keith Elliott congratulations on the grandkids graduation that’s incredible! So I did pass by arts today and grabbed two new trees, I know right insane. However, I’m not sure what’s on your wish list but I did grab their last “Orion” and should that been on your list, as I know many appreciate it I’d be happy to let you have for what I paid $39.99 I’ll attach a pic. It’s roughly 4-5’ tall and healthy. I know your access to JM is much more limited than mine so I have no trouble giving it up, let me know I’m in New West. Not sure what sizes your looking for, your budget or how your transporting but here is a basic list of what I saw in the easier to transport sizes at Arts in Surrey.

seiryu- a great maple they had ones less than 2-3’ but another nursery “it’s about time nursery” in Burnaby has a few 4-5’ tall but still young.
    Crimson queen
    Red dragon
    Verdis
    Emerald lace
    Inaba shidare
    Taylor
    Spring delight
    Kiyohime
    Jeddeloh orange
    orangeola
    Beni hemi
    Eagle claw
    Lions head
    Fern leaf
    Fairy lights
    Green elf (1)
    Tsuma gaki
    Moonrise
    Autumn moon(1)
    Shania
    Shiraz(1)
    Pacific rim collection “final fire” (1)
    Jack Frost collection “ice dragon”
    Blood good
    Coral bark

and a whole bunch more but this is what I can easily remember. Hope it helps you maximize your trip here.

Not sure if your interested but there is a tree farm in Richmond that has a no frills type nursery, and very affordable (but no sales of garden stuff and it’s a farm type environment. They won’t have the variety of arts in Surrey but they do have variety and at half the price. There stuff is healthy typically you can get larger mature tree if you wish but there are some less mature but typically not 1 gallon size. They are called Art’s green acre tree farm 13160 Westminster Hwy. 604-273-1553; not connected to any other arts store it’s privately run by an Asian family.

Attached Files:

Xi-feng, Keith Elliott and Acerholic like this.
  21. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Some post rain pics from this morning and then tonight my granddaughter Maggie's picture was broadcast during the Yankee game!! (My daughter knows a guy...)

Attached Files:

22. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

dangerine49 likes this.
  23. Keith Elliott

Lisa, your generosity appears to have no bounds! I cannot begin to thank you enough for all this info you have been kind enough to pass along. Our method of transport will be in the back of the SUV, so somewhat limited in height. I guess I could gain a bit of height by leaning the plants over somewhat. Somewhere between 3' and 4' will likely be the limit.

As you say our access to JM's is almost zero up this way, and even when a few plants are available they are typically in the $100+ range even for a small one. I think my patience will win the day and we will pick up a few on our trip down. And while I must thank you for offering up your new "Orion", I wouldn't think of doing such a thing. I'm quite sure I can manage with a few of the others on your exceptional list.

There won't be time this trip to go out to Richmond, but possibly in July when Val goes for the surgery. Then again, I will probably be quite happy with Art's. I did sign up for their newsletter some time ago, and I find their short videos to be quite helpful.

Lisa, I must thank you again for going so far out of your way to be so wonderfully helpful, definitely above and beyond the call.....

Lisa Harry likes this.
  24. Lisa Harry

Lisa Harry Contributor

my pleasure @Keith Elliott thank you for kind words you are most welcome, the offer still stands for the Orion should you change your mind. I wasn’t going to take it without offering it to you knowing you were coming all that way, especially cause it was their last one. You will have better luck at Arts they do have variety, and they carry a large selection in the sizes you need, everything I listed would definitely fit in an SUV. The Richmond nursery would have a much smaller selection in that size range but certainly worth the trip if you are wanting one a bit more mature. I will say Arts pricing is comparable to most nurseries out here of that caliber, they are not the most expensive but they are certainly not inexpensive. I wish you all the best and please post your stash once you have them home safely!!! **correction there is a few that would be a bit of a struggle for an suv unless laid down such as the pacific rim collection and ice dragon as well as the fern leaf and autumn moon everything else I’m pretty sure was sold in 1 gallon as well as in larger size *** they have three places they keep JM plus a few scattered throughout the grounds, so look around a lot of stuff is tightly packed.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  25. Acerholic

Good morning, well I can't compete with Maggie,(what a smile), but here are a few of my maples from underneath the leaves today.
    Grandma ghost 269.JPG Beni shigitatsu sawa 269.JPG Amber ghost 269.JPG Elegantulum 269.JPG Jordan 269.JPG Gwens Rose Delight 269.JPG Esk sunset 269.JPG Moonrise 269.JPG
    Kasagiyama 269.JPG

Grandma ghost, Beni shigitatsu sawa,Amber ghost, Elegantulum, Jordan, Gwen's Rose Delight, Esk Sunset, Moonrise and Kasagiyama.