Identification: Bizarre find in the forest

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by ginsenghamster, Jun 13, 2021.

1. ginsenghamster

ginsenghamster Active Member 10 Years

Hello All

I stumbled across a patch of these strange things when on a hike today in old second growth fir in a recovered clear cut. Soils are coarse with a thin layer of humus. At first I thought it was a conifer cone sitting upright, but its firmly attached to terra firma. I wish I saw it in bloom. Looked through Pojar and found nothing remotely similar. Other plants in the vicinity were Douglas fir, Chimaphila umbellata, and Linnaea borealis. I did find another orchid nearby (possibly Corallrhizae mertensiana)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    Acerholic and Keith Elliott like this.
  2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. ginsenghamster

Thanks! It would have the common name of Ground Cone as that is what it looks like at first glance. I will delve into the world of Boschniakia. This beast was no where near water, but in a dry site despite the moss.

4. ginsenghamster

Thanks! Looked at E-flora of BC. It could be B. hookeri

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Any salal nearby? These are now Kopsiopsis hookeri - FNA

I'd have to dig up the reference, but I recall reading it takes 40 years to develop a flowering stalk.

6. ginsenghamster

40 years? I've read the root tuber were eaten raw by the First Nations. I can imagine the odd bear digging them up too. How in the heck could any species requiring a such a time duration for recruitment survive? There were about 5 in the small area I found them in. So if I wanted a snack, that would be it for the reproductive population.

7. ginsenghamster

Plants nearby were Mahonia, pseudotsuaga menziesii, Chimaphila umbellata, and Linnaea borealis. Not much Gaultheria in this spot which was rather scant for vegetation. Mind you if I looked in the thicker growth of Gaultheria nearby, I might have found a few more. I'm going up again next weekend and expand the search area. Besides the Chimaphila were just staring to bloom and I really want to take some nice pics.

8. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Here is (was) a beautiful little spot - just a few acres in Nanoose Bay where the new and old highways diverge. It was full of wonderful native plants including coral root, rattlesnake orchid and the occasional ground cone until a few months ago when the entire property was razed. I can't even look at the site anymore; just so awful to lose treasures like that.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot to upload the photo.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  9. ginsenghamster

It hurts my heart when I hear of such destruction and more so when no conservation groups were contacted to help relocate the plants before the bulldozers moved in.

10. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I know - that is so upsetting. I did call the realtors and asked if I could get in touch with the developer but never heard anything back.

ginsenghamster likes this.
  11. ginsenghamster

At least you tried.

12. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

That is awful news Margot, sadly it is happening everywhere. The trouble is 8 billion and counting.......