How to get my cedar hedges growing

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by icu222much, Jun 13, 2021.

1. icu222much

icu222much New Member

I have a few mature cedar hedges that have giant dead areas (highlighted in red). How can I get "revive" this brown area to become green again?

Attached Files:

2. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

If waiting is not an option, then maybe

Georgia Strait likes this.
  3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    That’s funny - we need a laugh this chilly wet day in Vanc —- and, you make a point —- I wish they made it in other colors! I have so many ideas now.

Serious back to question - being a hedge owner - I do not think gaps like those in OP post pictures will ever fill in —- do you?

Neighbor has a massive healthy hedge that is at least 20 yr old and for one winter they parked a camper rv next to it — and the brown dead area is still there years later

I like creative - so I would trim out the dead and leave a couple of sturdy branches and make it a spot for some focal point garden art or hanging baskets etc

I do that all the time on my garden size maples

Thé original poster has a very pretty garden (and a cute little bichon pup?)

4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Any branch that is completely brown all the way back to the tree trunk will, unfortunately, never produce green leaves again. Once you have determined that there is no green on any of the those branches, you might as well cut them back close to the trunk.

What will happen, over time, is that the healthy green branches will slowly begin to fill in the empty spaces - especially in the case of the tree in your second photo. But, quite frankly, I don't think you need to be overly concerned whether they do or not. In my opinion, the trees will not be ugly with the dead branches pruned out. And, if you're willing to be patient, the empty spaces will begin to fill in.

There is really no better alternative is there?

5. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

I don't have a cedar hedge, only few cedars growing separatedly. They are relatively young trees, less than 30 years old. They have suffered some damages over these years, but growing in the well exposed to the sun place those damaged areas are not visible any more.
    So, yes, I believe, that if cedars are otherwise healthy and damaged areas are not in the shade, then neighboring branches finally grow in front of the brown patch. But it takes many years, depending on damaged area, cedar's vitality and exposure to the sun. If You try to hide damaged area by placing something in front of the area, casting shadow/blocking light to the area, then the area could never improve.

Theoretically it should be possible to graft live branches into the dead zone, but that can also work only if lighting conditions are good, and healing takes time anyways. I am not aware, how easily cedars take grafts, nor know any specific grafting method, that is suitable for such repairs, this idea is just a theoretical solution for the problem.

I did not meant to be rude with this painting joke. I personally like these hedges on OP's photos, I think, that these damaged areas are not so bad, they give some caracter to the hedge and will heal with couple of years (especially that on the second photo).

Georgia Strait likes this.
  6. icu222much

icu222much New Member

Thank you for the compliments on the garden. That is my wife's dog, a MaltiPoo. My dog, a Great Dane, isn't in the photo.

7. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Not forgetting your post is about problems with your hedge, have you found comments here helpful?

8. icu222much

icu222much New Member

Yup, this post helped resolve what I can expect from the brown spots on my hedge.