Appreciation: Biotextiles: Sustainable style.

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by togata57, Jun 12, 2021.

1. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

The autumn/winter 2021 Hermès Victoria (prices start from about £3,500 for its previous leather version) will be made from Sylvania, a leather grown from fungus, before being crafted in France into a perfect Hermès handbag.

Mushrooms, pineapples, grapes, cactus and apples are just some of the plants on the receiving end of billions of dollars of research and development funding to create leather and plastic replacements.

Bio-leathers are made either from agricultural byproducts or specially grown crops. Mycelium, the root structure of fungus, has become a favourite in the luxury industry.

It’s this season’s must-have Hermès bag. And it’s made from fungus

Margot, Frog, Acerholic and 2 others like this.
  2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Thank you for posting this @togata57
    Although a niche market at present, I find this sort of news hopeful in general :-)

togata57 likes this.
  3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Me too.

Bit by bit, little by little, we progress.

I am cheered to read of creative, inventive people finding ways to conserve and reuse. These folks are illuminating pathways out of ingrained 'use once throw away' thinking.
    Every time I read a story about recycling plastic into paving bricks, sea urchin shells into pottery glaze, bread crusts into beer---grapes, flowers, mycelium into textiles---I am cheered, I am encouraged.

Read about it, know about it, learn about it---care about it---do it.

Margot and Frog like this.