Identification: evergreen plant id tree id

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by ersh99, Jun 11, 2021.

1. ersh99

ersh99 Active Member

I have seen these around many houses in Seattle, I believe it is some sort of cedar?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Acerholic likes this.
  3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Needle blight has been prevalent enough on these in later years that I would not plant one myself. Having seen multiple local examples that looked like the Neil Bell photos on the page below. Or looked worse. And as also indicated below it is not limited to weeping blue Atlas cedar, so that I have seen a scattering of other cedars of some size marred visually by an evenly dispersed percentage of dead exterior foliage as well.

In addition the hibernal springs we have been starting to have already were predicted awhile back by University of Washington scientists to become the regional norm by 2050 (along with hotter summers, with again already this year is being called the one of a "Megadrought" in the American West). So presumably plantings of Cedrus are going to be subjected to both needle blight promoting spring conditions followed by possibly taxing summers.

Cedar (Cedrus spp.)-Needle Blight | Pacific Northwest Pest Management Handbooks (pnwhandbooks.org)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
    Margot likes this.