These creatures eat my fruit tree!

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by Anik, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Anik

Anik Member

I have a tree in my backyard which seems like a fruit tree (either apple or pear, not sure). The problem is that its leaves are being eaten by some kind of pests. We moved there last summer and the tree was already badly "eaten" (but we did not have time to take care of it then). This spring the same problem seems to happen.

I attached the photo and would be very grateful for any advice on what these pests are and what I can do with them.

Best regards,
    Anna

Attached Files:

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Bruce Spanworm. use a product containing BtK to eliminate them.

3. greendude

greendude Member

You may wish to check with a local garden shop to see if they carry, or can order parasitic wasps for this worm (bring it along). Parasitic wasps do not sting humans. In fact they are so small most people never notice them.

4. Anik

Anik Member

Thank you for the advice. Are these products supposed to be sprayed on the tree? How dangerous is it for people (and especially children)? Is it too late to apply this products now? I am just worried that it may not help now but will be harmful for us (as we have a smaller townhouse backyard and neighbours close around).

5. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

BtK is suposed to be harmless to all but caterpillars. It is intended to be sprayed on the tree, as much as you are ableto do. now is the time to treat, with too few hosts, BtK is not a good control, after all the damage, BtK is pointless. The product is easy to obtain, look for the Safers product line, caterpillar killer is the stuff.