Variegated sugar maple seedling

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Nik, Jun 2, 2021.

1. Nik

Nik Contributor

I found it in the woods and stuck it in a pot. Or it might be just sick… we’ll see.

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples and Acerholic like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Yes it might be N, but you never know unless you give it a go. Good luck.

3. Nik

Nik Contributor

Thanks, D!
    Should it be called reticulated instead of variegated? If it holds.

4. Acerholic

I know it is showing more signs of reticulation atm N, but variegated is right for a sugar maple. The new leaves on the variegated varieties are pale btw, but yours is very pale.
    It will be interesting to watch. So do keep us all posted.

5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

That's a pretty thing @Nik , it will be interesting to see if it keeps the variegation, there are no variegated A. saccharum cultivars that I can think of. Do you guys know one?

There is an unusual, heavily variegated/reticulated cultivar of Acer leucoderme (previously classified subspecific to saccharum) which this resembles a little: the unfortunately named 'Confederate Ghost'. It's a rare maple.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
    LoverOfMaples and Nik like this.
  6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Various cultivated tree species including maples produce high percentages of partly white seedlings under nursery conditions. However most of the time these go all green later.

7. Nik

Nik Contributor

@Ron B , can you provide some evidence for that? Anything… any data that are reliable?
    I understand that this forum is mostly for personal observations and opinions, but when one makes such broad and influential statements, they should be able to back it up with reliable information.
    I specifically refer to the statement “However most of the time these go all green later.”

8. Nik

Nik Contributor

However, from previous experience, I do not expect you will reply to a specific question.
    I guess this is it for this thread. Ron B made a decision.

9. Nik

Nik Contributor

And this is is the end of my participation in the the UBC forums.
    Thank you all for great comments and suggestions!
    Be safe and stay safe!
    Best,
    Nik

10. Acerholic

Good morning Nik, please,please don't leave. Your participation in the forum is enjoyed by so many and for me also.
    I do understand your frustration and I have received several PMs from members about this in the past.

Do have a re think

D

11. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I also wish you'd stay with the forum @Nik , I've enjoyed your contributions. I know that personally, when I'm very busy, I might reply a bit shortly, but it's really because I'm rushed with other things and want to contribute something. I've had people react in a way I didn't intend and didn't imagine.

wrt to your sugar maple, maybe it will keep it's variegation, maybe not. I grow a lot of variegated pseudoplatanus seedlings, most but not all revert. When they keep their variegation, they can be very interesting plants, and it makes it worth the hassle of trying. You found your seedling in the forest, I don't know if that changes the chances, but if it does grow on it will be an exciting addition; esp when there are few or no variegated sugar maples.

Whatever you decide, best wishes and stay safe. -E

AlainK, maf and Acerholic like this.
  12. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Whatever caused this variegation, whether it stays or not is not that important.

It's always exciting to find "the odd one out", and see if it can mature into an interesting sport, that's part of the game and if you can keep it healthy, you won't be discouraged even if it turns green. So don't be discouraged by comments that can sound a bit abrupt : not everyone likes to write lengthy messages with many side comments...

Keep us updated mate ! ;°)

Acerholic likes this.