Virtual Garden Tour 2000-2021

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by Margot, May 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nik

Nik Contributor

Our mountain laurels are about to burst open. Plus the only Rhododendron in the yard is getting ready, a delicate color wild fern with no ID that forms nice little clumps, and German thyme which will get a short haircut after it’s done blooming.

Attached Files:

pmurphy, Margot and Acerholic like this.
  2. Nik

Nik Contributor

This is the hay scented fern patch in the front yard. Very aggressive spreader, one has to be very careful. On the other hand, if you have a spot in your garden that nothing really grows, try this fern. It needs partial to full sun. Moisture level is irrelevant when fully established.

Attached Files:

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

It looks like it could take over N.

4. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Which is the hosta you ordered recently for Mrs Acer’s birthday?

Your hostas are beautiful —- I still want to try a stump garden like at Highgrove don’t you know —- well at a much smaller scale with no staff! We get stumps sometimes at the beach or in a private property clearing but it’s very rare now cuz all wood is ground up for chips etc. ie stumps and roots are often the « hot dog luncheon meat » of forest logging industry

(Yes, buying a gift that you « happen » to like too makes me smile :) That said - what do you buy for a close person who likely doesn’t need/want something & really, it’s from the shared bank acct - oh I know! A stump!)

5. Georgia Strait

I have a similar fern (second to last pic in your post) over here on mainland pacific coast —- it dies back in winter and definitely does not like dry or bright sun

It spreads easily

I have tried to figure it out - but .... my enthusiasm fizzled so now I simply enjoy its delicate fronds and intricate patterns and gorgeous green color

I attached photo w some hostas

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

It was 'Lakeside little tuft' Georgia. I will post it tomorrow morning when I take some more photos of more of our Hostas.

7. Acerholic

As Georgia was interested in our Hostas I, thought I would take a few more different ones to share here.
    They are Lake Side Little tuft, Praying Hands, Orange Marmalade, Midas touch, Fireworks, Dragon tails, Flavocircinalis and lastly from underneath The British are coming.
    Hosta Lakeside little tuft 233.JPG Hosta Praying hands 233.JPG Hosta Orange Marmalade 233.JPG Hosta Midas touch 233.JPG Hosta Fireworks 233.JPG Hosta Dragon tails 233.JPG Hosta Flavocircinalis 236.JPG Hosta The British are coming 236.JPG

Nik, Margot, pmurphy and 1 other person like this.
  8. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Our baby hummingbirds left the nest a couple of days ago so I was finally able to do some repairs and get the waterfall running properly for the season (we were also able to set up the lower deck so now we can enjoy it). All that is left is a little more C&C.....but no more today.

Final photo of the babies, the next day they were gone
    ...and this is what my waterfall looks like after I was able to work on it :)

Salvia 'Hot Lips' - interested thing is when the weather is warm the flowers are solid red; when the weather is cool they are bicolor red and white.
    Wooly Dutchman's pipe
    Kiwi 'Arctic Beauty'
    Cross vine - first time in 3 years it's flowered
    Gold kiwi (male vine)
    Variegated kiwi
    White feverwort

Last photo I believe to be a Starflower but I haven't confirmed it yet as this is the first time I've seen them.
    The story goes that we were given 2 hours to remove as many western sword ferns as possible (we were told about a dozen) because the gentleman was clearing a wooded area on his property. At the end of the 2 hours my husband and I were exhausted and my car was so crammed with ferns I couldn't see out the back window. I don't know how many ferns there were in the end (ranging from dinner plate to mature specimens 1.5m across) but I do know I dug 38 holes to plant them in when we got home (I was so tired that some of the smaller ferns went 2 per hole). And these little flowers hitched a ride...along with a number of other natives.

Attached Files:

9. pmurphy

It could be the native lady fern - Athyrium filix-femina. They do die back in the winter and can get quite large but with enough water will thrive in sunny areas (at least mine do, but they get watered every other day when the weather is dry).

A Guide to Ferns of the Pacific Northwest

Georgia Strait likes this.
  10. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I think @pmurphy is correct that your fern is our native lady fern, Athyrium felix-femina. I have 24 mostly small, BC native ferns in my garden and I have to say, the only one that self-'spores' enthusiastically is that one. Sword ferns are second most prolific but nothing compared to lady fern. It smells very nice when the fronds are crushed.

Georgia Strait likes this.
  11. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

My husband and I would give anything to have a hummingbird nest as close as yours. Both Rufus and Anna's must have nests in the trees but not where we can see them. We sure do enjoy watching them around the feeder though, often sparring with one another about who is allowed to drink and who is not.

12. Georgia Strait

Your little hummingbirds grew up FAST!
    It’s hard not to feel sentimental human

I like the animal kingdom species you attract to your fountain — kind of like your spider :)

I am fascinated by your dig and run story - how many times have we done that - driving with a car full of plants ... or dogs or kids (as my friends do - yes, little goats)

Last edited: May 24, 2021
    pmurphy likes this.
  13. Georgia Strait

RE: starflower
    They must have known - take us with our friends !

Starflower -
    http://linnet.geog.ubc.ca/Atlas/Atlas.aspx

UW identification
    Broad-leaved Starflower Trientalis latifolia

BC photo - Reminds me of a really tiny version of clematis “nelly moser”

pmurphy likes this.
  14. pmurphy

It was very interesting, and also very nerve wracking.
    And both my husband and I were behaving as any normal/fretful "grandparent" would - will they fall out of the nest?, will some predator get them?, "where's mom?, I haven't seen her today". From the time she started building the nest until they were gone was a little less than 2 months. It was very disruptive to what we wanted to do (we couldn't use the lower deck - including BBQ'ing - or work in the gardens by the waterfall) but I wouldn't have trade that time for anything :)

Nik, Acerholic, Margot and 1 other person like this.
  15. Nik

Nik Contributor

My Rhododendron is (almost) in full bloom now. No idea about the name of the hybrid, it was here when we bought the house. I have pruned it dramatically over the past few years.
    Plus my largest patch of royal ferns and a Japanese maple.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

Good morning, I was just so happy to see my Cornus kousa 'China girl' in flower at last. It is a month later this year. It has also suffered from some frost damage as so many have done in 2021.
    Cornus kousa China girl 244.JPG Cornus kousa China girl 245.JPG

Nik and pmurphy like this.
  17. Nik

Nik Contributor

A variegated Sempervivum rosette that appeared last year, pictured in the first photo in late fall. Second picture is from today, after it was separated in late winter. I am very happy to see that it will produce baby rosettes (not visible in the photo), and will post pictures of the new ones. Hopefully they will be variegated as well.

Attached Files:

18. Nik

Nik Contributor

Some bright spots on a cold and dark rainy day.

Attached Files:

pmurphy and Acerholic like this.
  19. Acerholic

Good morning, with all the colours of my maples in our garden, we like to have some white to look at. So dotted around are Azalea ' Diamond White', 'Geisha' and Clematis 'Guernsey cream'.
    Aazalea Diamond white 246.JPG Azalea Diamond white 247.JPG Azalea Geisha 245.JPG Azalea Geisha 246.JPG Clematis Guernsey cream 245.JPG

Nik, Georgia Strait, Margot and 2 others like this.
  20. Georgia Strait

Acerholic likes this.
  21. Georgia Strait

Today’s tour de coast is « geraniums »

See pix below

The pale pink flower is Espresso - and it is the leaf of this one that is of main interest with its bronze purple color and intricate pattern

The blue flower is (no, not Johnson’s) - it’s Brookside. A real true sapphire blue.

Geranium 'Brookside'

—-
    Then the earliest - and smallest flower - Mourning Widow. It’s popular with the bees and is well behaved (does not take over in massive clumps)
    Plant Profile for Geranium phaeum - Mourning Widow Cranesbill Perennial

———
    The bright pink is a reliable unknown eager seeder self-spreader that makes huge heavy clumps (careful!) - like Phoebe Noble (interesting lady who was a physics prof? I remember David Tarrant would visit her on his tv show back in the day - and she’d be roaring over her geraniums while riding her lawn tractor to show how if you just cut them back they will flush w bloom again in same season)

Then a sword fern and rugosa rose petal after that rainforest downpour the other day

The single close up image is Rozanne (in a container with hostas - maybe stained glass? https://www.hgtv.com/outdoors/flowers-and-plants/flowers/geranium-rozanne-the-cranesbill-geranium

Thé last photo is just a dry shade composition of hosta, heuchera, etc
    ——-
    Stay cool and sunscreened today at the coast - warm already 7am PDT

Attached Files:

pmurphy, Margot, Nik and 2 others like this.
  22. Acerholic

The blues are sooo cooling to look at in this hot weather, thanks for posting them Georgia.

23. Georgia Strait

One of my fav colors

In other words - my colorway has no yellow or orange except in March

It’s interesting that the Rozanne geranium is from Zummerzet (more correctly known as Somerset !)

24. Acerholic

This very west country of you Georgia, Lol.

25. Nik

Nik Contributor

Blue-eyed grass, Sisyrinchium angustifolium, related to irises, is blooming now. Native species that I found in our property and plant in the cracks of the rocks. If I plant it in the front yard, which I do, my husband goes through it with the lawnmower on a regular basis.. it really does look like grass. I also like to contrast it with the little yellow-flowering sedum; they always flower at the same time. Plus some random stuff from around the yard.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.