Japanese maple leaf problem

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Riverdale27, May 24, 2021.

1. Riverdale27

Riverdale27 Active Member

Only here for a day and already learned a ton... it's going to be a good ride here, I can feel it :)
    Thanks guys.

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I would go with that K in late April.

Riverdale27 likes this.
  3. Acerholic

Good afternoon G, tbh I have never used growth enhancers. Do you have trees that you have used and not used PK to show a comparison?
    I would really like to see the difference from your experience with this. I'm always willing to learn...

4. Contact82

Contact82 Member

Hi Acerholic, since around two years I’m using PK supplement on all my maples and bonsai in general. So the difference I’ve noticed it’s from previous years. At the same time, I’ve started to add a silicium supplement and I have less burns on the leaves during summer. In general with these precautions my maples have a better appearance in autumn and less f problems with leaves. I remember I’ve read about PK supplement in a forum, while about the silicium supplement on a site of a JM nursery.

I really like to search for “tips and tricks” in growing strategies, and I try those that I think could work...clearly not all are good, but if you don’t try you will never know!

Last edited: May 25, 2021
    maf and AlainK like this.
  5. Acerholic

Thankyou G, this is really interesting and might be worth me trying on some seedlings. As you say, if you don't try you don't know.

AlainK likes this.
  6. Contact82

Contact82 Member

You’re welcome, it will be a big pleasure to know your opinion with it and to compare our experiences!

Acerholic likes this.
  7. Riverdale27

I put all my maples in the greenhouse or below a roof during the last rainy week... we had one day with 25 mm of rain. My watermelon plants all died outside. Never seen something like that before.
    The maples were kept dry, I cut away the bad pieces, and no more fertilizing.

Good news: so far so good, no more damage at the moment. Hopefully the good weather will do them good.

8. Acerholic

We all hope that tbh K.

9. Riverdale27

An update of my Bi Hoo... I've cut off a lot when it happened, stopped fertilizing, and at the moment it's doing great with a lot of new growth.

Attached Files:

AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  10. Riverdale27

Oh yeah and a before picture as well (1st of June):

Attached Files:

11. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

It looks perfect. Well done.