Help for my poor neglected yard..

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by KirstyP, Apr 13, 2021.

1. KirstyP

KirstyP New Member

Thank you Georgia Strait! I am taking pictures- so excited to see if things grow!

Honestly, the cardboard was likely silly- I must have know that because I only put down two boxes out of the ones I collected (so I can easily pull them out..) I thought they might give the plantings a little headstart against the insidious cedar roots! I will get rid of them... this is very helpful advice! I used pieces with no ink, but (And thank you for the reminder that the sword ferns need a lot of room...) I have other ferns as well, that I could maybe put in the mid zone, away from the roots. I was hoping for an anemone or dogwood, but I think that might be pushing it! Although I do have an enormous planter that could be a focal point- about three feet wide.

I think I will plant half of the hosta in the soil, half in pots. I would really like to plant solomon's seal as well- but not sure how many would work. Still wondering about groundcover. I was planning to buy a lot, but may be a bit late. One of my kid's sole request was that there was 'a patch of grass..' still debating that one. None of the microclover of bee turf seem to work in the shade... and it would be such a small area. I love that Japanese forest grass, I have three pots of it, and it looks exceptionally scraggly. And yes, I think we all need to have an eye to resources... and providing for nature.

I love the swathe idea! Symmetrical, overly formal gardens leave me cold.. I am following the errant bluebell clumps, I love how they wind through the garden. (They have always been here, just found out they are invasive...) I'm really looking forward to posting progress pics, as I'm finally doing something :)

2. KirstyP

KirstyP New Member

I agree with you D, I am always looking at people's gardens- and at nature- they can be so inspiring. I am surprised at how much my tastes have changed over the years. To me, a naturalistic garden is really apex territory- where things can be a little wild. Here in Vancouver, we definitely see the tried and true. I have my mother in law who is a long time english gardener and whenever I ask her if she thinks something is a good idea, she just exclaims.."Just try it..!" And that seems to freeze me in my tracks, as I was hoping for something like.. "I think it would do well by the fence..." (She does this occasionally..) I should do more of talking to gardeners, as we walk so often in our neighborhood.. Here in Vancouver, it is a rare event, getting into a conversation with a 'stranger' - when I do, they're normally from somewhere else. (My parents are Irish- so different there..)

Maples are beyond glorious, I always feel graced by their presence. Just today we were walking in an urban park and there were these utterly amazing maples that must have been 50 feet high! I love their dappled shade and their structure... I recently saw some at the garden centre and had no idea there was such a foliage/colour variety. Not to mention shape! I looked up your username in the maples forum, but I only saw a shot of the leaves, I'll give it another go. I love that you inherited this devoted love of maples...

Acerholic likes this.