Gardening Accidents

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Margot, May 23, 2021.

1. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

This is probably a silly thread, unworthy of the UBC Forums but, with 5 days of rain in the forecast here, it's something else to talk about.

I hurt my shoulder today trying to get into my little truck. Trouble is, I'm too short for even a little truck and I fell, partway in . . . nothing serious that a few days won't cure but it made me wonder what injuries you gardening friends have suffered in your quest for a beautiful / productive garden.

Last edited: May 23, 2021
  2. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    My DNA is in some fancy Okanagan wine!

I am pretty pleased with that (to be clear - I cut myself w the sharp clippers while on grape harvest deadline and in a contest of who got bin filled first)

And I broke my arm once while yelling and trying to grab the dog who would not listen - in the garden - and tempted by deer scent trails

And I have backed in to my own fancy shrubs

The other silly details are things I can’t believe I got away with - in retrospect

No ladders for me.

Margot likes this.
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Gardening accidents and DIY make up most of the visits to A&E at hospital. I have been fortunate and have only had one accident back around 20 years ago. On this occasion my ladder slipped whilst up a tree and I fell about 20 ft. But luckily I fell into a Lelandii hedge that broke my fall somewhat. Lots of cuts, bruising and embarrassment as at the time I was trained on ladders and abseiling etc etc for my job. All my children could say was, "Oh Dad" with broad smiles on their faces. They were very kind to me after realising I hadn't hurt myself seriously though.
    Fingers crossed there will be no more accidents.

4. Heathen

Heathen Active Member

I’ve been fortunate so far, in having no serious injuries despite sometimes doing things WorkSafe would not approve of; however, the one and only time I wore contact lenses to work I got stabbed in the eye by a phormium while weeding. The leaf point went right through the lens and made a nice gouge in my cornea. A hasty trip to the optometrist, some eye drops, and no more contact lenses at work!
    Other people I have worked with have fallen off ladders, hedge trimmed their legs or arm, broken a foot hopping off a truck box, had their long ponytails get sucked into the engine of a string trimmer, and a variety of other injuries. Gardening is a hard business. Lol.

Georgia Strait likes this.
  5. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Good way to put it! I don't think there will be many 'Likes' to posts on this thread. :-)

My biggest excitement while gardening was getting a few scratches from a Pyracantha shrub that started to swell up. I ended up going for a week's worth of antibiotic IV sessions to prevent blood poisoning. Also got a long-overdue Tetanus shot.

Georgia Strait likes this.
  6. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yes that about sums it up - WorkSafe BC

Our father worked on huge construction sites (dams etc) and never wore rings or faith necklaces (cross in a chain) or watch (if he did- it had expansion band)

Long hair on a worksite - ouch

One can only imagine how plants feel when we approach with shears and power tools !

I am glad you’re safe