In The Garden: found in garden

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by davebyer, May 20, 2021.

1. davebyer

davebyer Active Member 10 Years

live n Ont stratford

Attached Files:

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Plectritis congesta - a BC and NA west coast native annual, they're often a dark pink colour but the ones that grow wild in my garden are a very light pink.

3. davebyer

davebyer Active Member 10 Years

this was found in stratford ont canada
    have not seen it before

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Maybe Plectritis macrocera. Ever grow a California wildflower seed mix in the area?

5. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

The fact that Plectritis macrocera is in wildflower seed mixes makes it much more likely to be in Ontario than Plectritis congesta. They sure are similar! I've been reading their descriptions on E-Flora BC and can't find much that distinguishes one from the other. Both can even be light pink in colour.

Also, it seems that P. macrocera has been found in BC although very uncommon - and apparently not introduced either. I suggested that @davebyer 's mystery plant was P. congesta based on its similarity to the one I find growing by the 100s in my gardens which I assumed to be P. congesta . . . wouldn't it be funny if mine were P. macrocera?