Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

I can't say that it's one of my favorites but I have a fondness for my Jiro. Actually, I'm not certain that it is a Jiro Shidare but it seems to meet the criteria. It caught my eye at a local Home Depot when shopping for gardening supplies. I just loved the shape of it. It was labeled "Acer Palmatum Premium". I returned and it was still there (and cheap!) so I grabbed it.

I potted it at first, but now it fills in a spot nicely in a backyard rock garden between my Ariadne, Baldsmith and an A.P.

Attached Files:

2. Keith Elliott

Keith Elliott Contributor

Oh my goodness, they are absolutely beautiful!

Gee whiz, I go to bed last night right around midnight, get up this morning and start looking here well before 7 a.m. and what have you guys done? Of course in western Canada here, we are 8 hours behind you over there, but still and all. You sure know how to hurt a guy! Lost count of how many new posts there are.

Please don't stop now...there's nothing like these gorgeous photos to cheer us up in the morning. Ooooooh my.......

Acerholic likes this.
  3. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

What's the one in the foreground, on the left ? It almost looks like a Heuchera 'Caramel' !

[​IMG]

4. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Oh so close! It's a 'Southern Comfort' Heuchera.

AlainK likes this.
  5. AlainK

Very nice "combo".

I haven't had Southern Comfort for years, maybe decades. When I was in Salisbury for a month or so, I worked with a guy who would have "Southern Comfort and Tonic" when we went to the pub after work. Very nice beverage actually... ;0)

There are so many Heuchera varieties. I have two or three, I thought they wouldn't last long in my very dry, alcaline soil, but to my surprise, they're perfectly healthy.

The most common species, with long stems of red flowers is called "Désepoir du peintre" (Painter's despair) for it is very difficult to render the delicacy of the flowers.

dangerine49 likes this.
  6. Stuart McKenna

Stuart McKenna Active Member

A few photos taken over the past couple of weeks, of the first Japanese maple I bought which was planted about 10 years ago, Beni Maiko. It sits under a magnolia tree in my front garden and was the only maple that didn't seem to suffer from the late frosts

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good evening Stuart. There are not many that can beat a Beni Maiko in Spring for those beautiful pink/reds. Yours is quite outstanding.

8. Stuart McKenna

Stuart McKenna Active Member

Thank you, it actually is a nice evening the sun has come out and I've managed to sit and relax in the garden after what seems like endless cold and wet days. Managed to get a photo of someone hiding behind an orange dream with my newest acer Lileeannes Jewel in the background

Attached Files:

LorenzoDec, AlainK, zfrittz and 8 others like this.
  9. Acerholic

Well if a photo like that doesn't cheer everyone up then nothing will. They do know how to get round their Dads, both of them, lol.

Stuart McKenna likes this.
  10. AlainK

Nice, nice, very nice ! ;-)

Stuart McKenna likes this.
  11. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Yeah, actually when I first started going to bars I had no idea what to order. An older friend of mine recommended Southern Comfort and 7 Up. A little gross but it went down easy until I found better alternatives.

12. Acerholic

Good morning, well it's not exactly getting warm yet here in Southern England. It managed 12°C here yesterday and this morning there is a definatly a chill in the air. A little rain overnight was welcome though.
    So here are a few from my garden this morning.
    Kinran, Murasaki Kiyohime, Orion,Manyo-no-Sato,Red Wine and Oshu shidare.
    Kinran 227.JPG Murasaki kiyohime 227.JPG Orion 227.JPG Manyo no sato 227.JPG Red wine 227.JPG Oshu shidare 227.JPG

13. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Braved the rain for a few photos this morning (one of the dogs came with me to make sure I wasn't, I dunno, sneakily eating leaves in the garden or something. That's his job)

Attached Files:

AlainK, zfrittz, dangerine49 and 9 others like this.
  14. Acerholic

And the cold. But I bet it's a bit warmer in London than elsewhere in the UK.
    Very cheerful photos indeed X. Enjoyed them with my elevenses.

Xi-feng likes this.
  15. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

It's a balmy 11C here - practically tropical compared to other parts!

16. Acerholic

Just reached 10°C here. Forecast just said hail and thunder later.
    What a Spring !!!

17. Keith Elliott

Good morning Acerholic! I see you are at it again...just absolutely lovely photos.

Well, I have some good news and bad news about all these photos that I thought were lost. Indeed we have found them, but there are something like 100,000 photos all together. They cover everything while I was on Ruxton Island from all the boating misadventures to thousands of amazing sunsets to building the cabin and house and of course, the garden. I'm going to guess that there are about 10,000 garden photos all intermingled with everything else. I think it's going to take just a little while to wade my way through everything, so slowly but surely I should be able to find the garden stuff.

As for the temperature here this morning (7:50 a.m.as I write) it's 11.3ºC and the sun has just come up over the trees. We do see the sun on the mountains on the other side of the lake way before it rises here, because there is nothing in the way - a mountain for example - across the lake. Today's forecast sunny with a high of 25ºC, we'll gladly take that.

This is just a random photo I did a test with, no idea what it is or when I took the photo.

IMG_4584.JPG

18. Acerholic

25° C that is Soooo nice Keith. And mountain views. I can see why you left old blighty for BC.
    That is a very colourful photo of what looks like an Atropurpureum behind a vivid red Rhododendron.
    Thanks for the compliment of my maples. Though everyone on this forum makes this such an enjoyable time of the year to view these threads.
    Looks like you are going to have quite a time going through the thousands of garden photos, but when you do get round to it and post a few for the rest of us, I am certain everyone will enjoy each and every photo you decide to post.
    Have a lovely weekend.

Keith Elliott likes this.
  19. Keith Elliott

Sorry about that Rhodo in the way, the thumbnails are so tiny on the Passport that I thought it might be a maple. I'll fix that up for you. Just got interrupted by breakfast of all things.

IMG_4189.JPG

OK, hopefully that looks more like a JM than a rhodo!

AlainK, zfrittz, D97x7 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Acerholic

Definitely Keith, was that at your old house or the one you are at now?
    Wherever it was, it is ideally situated. Lots of protection from larger trees and that wonderful Japanese shape that gives the effect of floating clouds.

21. Keith Elliott

We don't have a single maple here, so everything is from the old house. I'm guessing that most of these photos are at least 10 years old, and unfortunately all I have is the photos but without any notes. That means that I probably have no idea what each of these maples are, with the possible exception of a Bloodgood which grew to a ridiculous height. Maybe the coral bark and full moon maple. But I will try not to embarrass myself by incorrectly naming some of these. I will leave that up to the experts!

IMG_4185.JPG IMG_4179.JPG IMG_4178.JPG IMG_4177.JPG IMG_4169.JPG IMG_4164.JPG

22. Keith Elliott

A few more that I have found so far....

IMG_4162.JPG IMG_4130.JPG IMG_3905.JPG IMG_3903.JPG IMG_3900.JPG IMG_3894.JPG

I should apologize in advance just in case I end up posting the same photo twice. Hopefully that won't happen, but you will surely see the same tree more than once but at different times in the growth cycle. I see what I have done appears to be starting with the most recent and I should really go back to the earlier photos...so that's what I will do hereinafter. Maybe one more round with the newer ones, I seem to have managed another half dozen or so.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    LorenzoDec, AlainK, Xi-feng and 2 others like this.
  23. Acerholic

No worries at all Keith, I enjoyed them and if I see Filigree more than once, then that is a plus in my books.

24. Keith Elliott

Don't know how I managed to duplicate all those photos, but at least now I know how to fix that in future.

IMG_1218.JPG IMG_1221.JPG IMG_1233.JPG IMG_3845.JPG IMG_3888.JPG IMG_3889.JPG

LorenzoDec, AlainK, zfrittz and 4 others like this.
  25. Keith Elliott

A few more.....

IMG_3894.JPG IMG_3900.JPG IMG_3903.JPG IMG_3905.JPG IMG_4130.JPG

LorenzoDec, AlainK, zfrittz and 3 others like this.