Identification: Type of mammillaria?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Will B, May 13, 2021.

1. Will B

Will B Active Member

Anyone know what this is? The one with a ring of flowers. Grown from a seed mix I got a couple of years ago so not sure what it might be, but I suspect a type of mammillaria...

Attached Files:

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Wish I knew, it's stunning.

3. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

Yes, that is a Mammillaria. I cannot say exactly what it is, there are so many species and forms of Mammillaria, but I see similarities to blossfeldiana, sheldonii, and mazatlanensis. Very nice plant.

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Its size is much larger than what I would expect from a cactus, which I thought would grow very slowly. That's certainly the case with my barrel cactus. Do they grow quickly when young then slow down as they mature?

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Will B likes this.
  6. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

This plant has too few spines for grahamii, IMO.

Growth rate varies hugely between different species and growing conditions, but in general I would say that they grow faster when they have gained some momentum and established a good root system.

7. Will B

Will B Active Member

No, I did not know what I would get in the mix. I bought them as a mix as I wanted to experiment with cacti germination and growth before spending too much on sought after seeds, and the mix was quite cheap. Experiments mostly successful I would say ;-) I was experimenting with sterilized media and conditions (cover, trays, area, etc) to start; lots of water, heat, humidity, and nutrients for early growth, tapering off once grown. The method mostly works, but if disease gets in it kills everything very quickly.

Thanks for the site! Looks very interesting, I have bookmarked it. I like the last of it's common names: "Lizard Snatcher"... our population of wall lizards has exploded in our little hobby farm, they are everywhere.

Last edited: May 14, 2021