Virtual Garden Tour 2000-2021

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by Margot, May 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Will do...buds should be opening in the next couple of days.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Even in his Latin description, from herbarium specimens collected in Gansu, Batalin (1892) reaches for the analogy of small peas when writing about the fruits, but he leaves no clue as to the relevance of the specific epithet, presumably from the Latin transitorius (either ‘having a way through’ or ‘short-lived’).

Malus transitoria - Trees and Shrubs Online

Margot and wcutler like this.
  3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good evening, I just wanted to share my very first Clematis flower for 2021. It is Clematis Early Sensation.. there are a couple as you can see, but one is being rather shy.
    Clematis Early sensation 207.JPG

4. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    That’s an early clematis @Acerholic
    I don’t think of any here at the mainland coast for a few weeks yet

Meanwhile - trying to be organized

We have « dicentra day » for my garden tour today

The pink photo is the usual « bleeding heart » (not the native one we have in damp forest coastal BC

The red flower photo - if you can grow it - is Valentine ... note red flowers and burgundy stems and somewhat frosted color leaves

Bleeding heart in the pink version is a lovely spring flower and has been around for years — the « thing« i have with it is the long-standing leaves that are 2 feet tall and yellow out and are difficult to merge in a shade border cottage garden - it looks like old leaves

However - while I find the Valentine is a trickier plant to grow in cold wet shade - but if you can do it- it has much more interesting long-standing foliage to merge in to your composition

Hummingbirds look at these plants and also these photo subjects are grown with little fertilizer or attn and certainly no pesticides of any type. And I rarely water them - they are happy next to sword ferns and Acer circinatum (vine maple native) and rhodos

Highly recommend for a rustic cottage / rainforest style

Here is a googled link to valentine from well known commercial grower
    Valentine® Bleeding Heart

Attached Files:

Nik, Acerholic, Margot and 1 other person like this.
  5. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I was very surprised last week to see the tender evergreen Clematis cartmanii 'Joe' was sporting its first bloom after only a year and a half in the ground.
    (I hope it's okay to use this photo from Clearview Products because, when I went out to photograph mine, half of it was eaten.)

That brings me to the observation that it seemed every plant I dealt with today had its own, tiny, resident slug. I'd put out some beer but I'm sure they're too young to drink. But I'm in a happy mood because everything in the garden is so fresh and beautiful and just because it's Spring!

upload_2021-4-30_19-43-52.png

Here are a few more rhodo pictures (names are on the files) plus a lovely native saxifrage - Saxifraga mertensiana which unfortunately dies down early.

Attached Files:

Georgia Strait, Nik and pmurphy like this.
  6. Acerholic

Good morning Georgia, yes it is and even with these overnight frosts it still blooms. It does have the correct start to the name, in EARLY.

7. Acerholic

Just before I carry out the evening tasks of putting everything I can undercover for the night yet again, my Azalea luteum caught my eye and my nose. So I thought why not post it here.
    Azalea luteum  211.JPG

Nik, Georgia Strait and pmurphy like this.
  8. Georgia Strait

Today is « ROCKERY plant day » on this coastal tour

Photos are sort of in order - still not sure how to post them properly in order off phone

1. Lewisia for @Margot — I do so well (touch wood) with them in a bowl type planter in well-drained mix under the shelter of roof eaves (ie no soaking rain)
    (Native to southern Oregon Lewisia cotyledon - Wikipedia )

2. Misc typical hen & chicks - with little rooster sculpture carved fr alder or wild cherry by local artist. The special stonecrop next to little carved rooster is Sea Urchin stonecrop — it is a bit temperamental in our cold wet winter but if you can shelter some spares in pots in winter (well drained) — go for it! - it is so easy to care for during hot dry summers.

Sea Urchin Stonecrop (Sedum lineare 'Sea Urchin') at Pathways To Perennials

3. Cobweb is naturally how that grows! Some people call it candyfloss —- regardless I do find this one is finicky and does not reproduce as freely (ie not many chicks) and it rots off in our damp chilly climate

5. Another pic shows an old chafing dish - yes they make great planters for feature in your seating area (what else do you do with elder relative wedding silver!? Plant in it! :)

I don’t know name of the mixed rockery plant that grows so freely - there’s even a maple seedling (maybe fr neighbor J maple or my own circinatum (native to bc) - is it stonecrop? I don’t know names of various colors

I like planting the various colors together - and around hostas and lilies etc. That hosta is Ben Vernooy (as per label) - not a color I am fond of so I put it in a pot with matching coordinating rockery plants NAME? and make it a focal in a corner with CORAL color geranium colors in summer
    Hosta - Ben Vernooy

And some sweet woodruff that does so nicely - highly recommend

I might edit later if I see a missed detail on the pictures

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    Nik, Acerholic, Margot and 1 other person like this.
  9. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Please go to Attach photos and files from Mobile Device | UBC Botanical Garden Forums and reply stating your phone's operating system, and say where the instructions in the Help file don't work for you. If you can, attach a screen print there so I can see what is different from what the instructions expect you to see.
    Remember that you can test it out in The Test Bed. I realize it's probably difficult on a phone to read the instructions and do a test, though I think you can have multiple pages open.

Or you could upload them first, and then describe them in the uploaded order.

10. Margot

I think that is definitely the secret to success with Lewisias. I've lost 3 of my favourite, Lewisia tweedyi by not protecting them from rain and/or not planting in a fast-enough soil mix. Luckily I saved seed from the last plant and now have about 6 seedlings which I have promised to be more careful with.

I really admire the plant combinations you have put together and think the addition of Sweet Woodruff is inspired!

11. pmurphy

I've been so busy lately but I don't seem to be accomplishing anything...
    However today I got outside and cut the grass, topped up a couple of fountains, finished the cement work on some blocks (replacing more rotten landscape ties), planted a few things and repotted/planted a bunch of seedlings. Then I decided to actually look at my gardens and take some photos (I also noticed my fern-leaf peony - paeonia tenufolia 'flora plena rubra' - is about to flower so I'll post a photo of that one soon).

Rhododendron
    Ornamental strawberry
    Creeping phlox
    Strawberry vine
    Japanese painted fern
    Cobra lily
    Spider azalea
    Anna's hummingbird chick - she hatched out one and we've been keeping a close eye on it and her (hopefully this means I'll be able to start setting up the gazebo and working on the waterfall soon)

Attached Files:

12. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

13. Acerholic

Good morning, I was in my garden very, very early once again, doing everything I could to protect my maples from the frost, and there giving so much joy as the sun rose, was my Azealea (U/K name I'm afraid) and next to it my Hosta 'June' looking very pretty. So here they both are.
    Azalea Geisha 219.JPG Hosta June 219.JPG

Georgia Strait, pmurphy and Nik like this.
  14. Acerholic

I just went out to take some photos and the heavens opened, so I just managed to take this one of my Azealea luteum flower. The perfume is wonderful.
    Azalea luteum 220.JPG

Nik and pmurphy like this.
  15. pmurphy

I finally got a chance to go outside and "relax" while doing some C&C (cut and control) in the backyard.
    I see so much more starting to appear and/or flowering but also noticed that some plants seem to be forgoing flowering this year and are instead putting out lots of growth - I have a lovely patch of of golden bells daffodils (Narcissus bulbocodium) that only put out a single flower this year....which is kind of hard to do when each bulb will normally put out in excess of a dozen flowers.

Brazilian tree fern - a tropical plant (that spends the winters indoors and April to September by the fish pond) but I love the color on the new growth
    Goji berry
    Chilean potato vine
    Variegated kiwi - not to be confused with other variegated kiwis, such as
    Actinidia kolomikta
    Fern-leaf peony
    Trailing abutilon
    Western wild ginger and western sword ferns
    Yellowhorn aka Chinese flowering chestnut

Attached Files:

Nik, Acerholic and Margot like this.
  16. Acerholic

Just a little snap shot of a few of the plants coming out on a dull damp Sunday afternoon here in Southern England. Hosta Patriot, Hosta Orange Marmalade, Athyrium metalicum and Clematis Guernsey cream.
    Hosta Patriot 221.JPG Hosta Orange marmalade 222.JPG Athyrium mettalicum 222.JPG Clematis Guernsey cream 222.JPG

17. Margot

Those a great photos, D. How do you show them without the IMG name, File size and Views info beside them?

18. Acerholic

Hi Margot, hope your having a lovely weekend.
    Re the photos, upload them as you would usually do and then when the thumbnails are below your posting, click the upload all button. They will then go into your posting without any file size etc etc shown.
    Hope that helps.

19. Margot

That's great! Thank you; I'll try a few right now. Margot

1. "For 2 bucks, I'd -- build a fence." That photo is about 10 years old and
    2. the plants have grown very large . . . thanks to the fence we built.
    3. Malus transitoria 'Schmidtcutleaf' aka 'Golden Raindrops'

Oops! I can't see an 'upload all' option.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

It should be just above the thumbnails and it says 'insert all'. You click on that.
    Lovely Pics though Margot. Definatly one there for the Critters in my garden thread.
    That Golden Raindrops is a beautiful tree. We do like the white flowers.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  21. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

The word on the button is Thumbnail.
    There is a video showing how to do it at Attach photos and files. It's the second video, which follows:
    "This video shows how to add more than one photo, and how to attach the photos into the text area, which the software provider recommends."
    You need to position your cursor at the line after your text if you want the photos to appear there. They will go wherever your cursor is, so you can mix them in with your text.
    As you noted, the photo name doesn't show next to the photos. If you want to see that (some people do name their photos), you can mouse over the upward arrow at the top right upload_2021-5-9_11-43-5.png , and the photo name shows at the bottom left message area of your screen (on a PC - I don't know how this differs on different platforms, maybe doesn't work at all on a phone). Or you can click that arrow to open the photo in a new window, where the photo name will be in the URL line. You also may get a + symbol to zoom in on the photo, depending on the resolution of the uploaded photo.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    Margot likes this.
  22. Margot

Thanks for the explanations @Acerholic and @wcutler. I'll attach photos that way more often from now on.

Acerholic likes this.
  23. pmurphy

Today was a nice day to take photos...

Box honeysuckle
    Akebia 'Silver Bells'
    Akebia 'Purple Haze'
    The terraced areas are filling in nicely....
    Pasqueflowers, finished for the season
    Unknown hosta - it starts out white with dark green edges and slowly changes until entirely dark green (I've had this one forever and just call it "Picasso")
    Chinese fringe flower
    Iron cross clover
    And a little whimsy...a recycled Halloween decoration now "crawling" through the creeping phlox - Phlox stolonifera 'Home Fires'

Also noticed that there are actually two hummingbird chicks in the nest...

Attached Files:

24. Georgia Strait

EDIT TO ADD @pmurphy - these are what I have

Golden Bells Carpet Daffodil | BrecksBulbs.ca

Pls see question below
    Yes I agree with description that the leaves don’t become a big strappy mess after flowering (if it flowers!)
    ——————
    I have Golden Bells too (describes somewhere online as looking like little dancing daffodils due to the different orientation than we are normally thinking of when imagining “daffodil”

(fr mail order - Brecks I think)

And they did well last year - and this year, blind — as in lots of their narrow grass-like leaves but no flowers

I have mine in well drained small baskets I got at Dollartree (I know, an ironic name for
    my garden purchases heavily reliant on fossil fuels - ouch) to make some DIY bulb planting baskets )

so I suppose I will let the leaves die back and give some low numbers granular food?

If I plant them out, I tend to loose bulbs to friendly native Douglas squirrels

And the cold shade rain in winter in our neck of the squirrel forest near ocean rots our bulbs

Hère are some photos below

QUESTION: Any advice on food to make them bloom and repeat and bloom and ...

(I have same “blind” issue with muscari (grape hyacinth) — lots of big happy leaves in summer?? Then minimal flower show in spring )

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  25. Georgia Strait

I really like your Hosta
    I have one in reverse (light edge going to dark middle leaf)

It amazes me how the variegated hostas like this end in chunks in their color stripes - I suppose echoing the crinkles in the leaves

I don’t think I can ID the spider - is it common in BC in spring summer? ;)

The little hummers are so precious

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.