mystery tree & other...

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Michael Anderson, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Michael Anderson

Michael Anderson Member

Dear all:

Nice to be back at the forum to ask a question I have kept on the back burner for a long time. Was going to post regarding awful invasive weed we first saw last year but searching here first yielded the vile Aegopodium. That's why I love this board!

This tree is in our yard in Coquitlam, BC. It has a lot of very thin (1 cm) trunks ending in bunches of leaves about 1 - 1.5 cm. Next month it will erupt in masses of tiny white flowers. Hope someone can offer suggestions...

...then we have a very low-growing (5 cm avg.) heart-shaped job. No flowers have ever been visible.

thanks all,
    Michael.

Attached Files:

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Looks like Spirea (perhaps bridal wreath) and ginger (asarum species possibly caudatum)

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Not too sure about ginger - leaf venation looks more like something in the Liliaceae (or related families)

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Vanhoutte spiraea
    Wild lily-of-the-valley (Smilacina)

5. Ginger Blue

Ginger Blue Active Member

Now known as Maianthemum, specifically M. dilatatum.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes: I had it backwards, Smilacina was put into Maianthemum and not the other way around.

7. Michael Anderson

Michael Anderson Member

Thank you Ron! I thought the littel heart-shaped one looked familiar and kept thinking "Lily-of-the-valley" for some reason. I should have remembered that Wild Lily-of-the-valley is really pretty common here. Definitely right on the Spiraea too.

cheers,
    Michael.

8. Dee

Dee Member

Lily of the Valley is something totally different in the UK, which is one reason I dislike the use of common names, it's so confusing. In the UK Lily of the Valley is Convallaria majalis, famed for its scent. My father had a huge patch of it and used to pick me the very first bunch of the season, sadly I've never been able to establish it in my Cornish garden, it's not too keen on acid soil.

9. Ginger Blue

Ginger Blue Active Member

It's also Lily of the Valley here. I think if you'd ask most people what Lily of the Valley is, they'd show you Convallaria. And yes, agreed on the common names. I wish people would get over their fear of scientific names.