In The Garden: Huge weed tree?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by monkeygirl, May 9, 2021.

1. monkeygirl

monkeygirl Active Member

I have cut this down every year because I'm concerned about digging it out where it is situated with other roots. This year however it's on steroids, what the heck is this please. Closest I've found is Elderberyy???? It's about 6 ft tall growing up through Pine. Thanks!

Attached Files:

• 0.jpg
      0.jpg
      File size:
      108.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Sorbus aucuparia

3. monkeygirl

monkeygirl Active Member

Yes it is, thank-you! How the heck it got in there I'll never know. All I've ever seen before was the leaves, no flowering or berries. It's growing 3 inches from the Pine trunk. I can cut it down now knowing it's not poisonous, thanks again Ron! Too bad it wasn't somewhere else, quite nice, love the berries.....

4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

The most likely way that tree came to be growing under your Pine is that a bird sat in the pine after a nice meal of Rowan berries and, in effect, 'planted' them before flying away. You may also know Sorbus aucuparia as Mountain Ash, whose berries are a popular treat for all sorts of birds.

Cutting the Mountain Ash may not eliminate it right away because it may very well continue to produce shoots from ground level. You can either keep cutting it and hope that, over time, it will lose vigour and die or you could paint the freshly cut trunk with concentrated glyphosate for a quicker result.

5. monkeygirl

monkeygirl Active Member

Yes that's probably them. They've left a few little gifts popping up everywhere.....I'll wait & see what happens. Mountain Ash sure is a fast grower, crazy.......