Fragrant Easy-to-Care Indoor Plants

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by icu222much, May 7, 2021.

1. icu222much

icu222much New Member

I'm looking for several fragrant indoor plants to purchase that are:
    • easy to care for
    • not toxic to humans or dogs
    • does not attract insects
    • fragrant for most of the year
    • perennial
    • colourful is a bonus
    I live in Vancouver, BC, if that helps. I also have several sunny, and shady spots in my home. Any indoor plant suggestions?

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

My number one pick would be Jasminum sambac, Arabian Jasmine. Given enough light it will produce blossoms pretty much year-round. The flower's fragrance is light, not overpowering. Spider mites may be a problem but not more so than with other plants.

Second pick would be a variety of citrus. Some varieties produce flowers year-round and the colorful, edible fruit is a bonus. The flower's fragrance is also pleasantly light. Requires more light and care than the jasmine.

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I have not had one for a while, but I found Murraya paniculata easy to grow and fragrant.

4. Junglekeeper

I agree. However its fragrance can be overpowering when the plant is in full bloom. In addition it makes a mess on the flooring when the flower parts make their way there.

5. icu222much

icu222much New Member

Awesome, ty for your responses

6. Junglekeeper

Here are a couple more suggestions, as per request by OP via PM. These plants are somewhat difficult to find however and so were not included in my initial recommendation. I'm not aware of any toxicity associated with them but do your research.
    • Aglaia odorata, Chinese Rice Flower: This plant has never had a problem with pests for the years I have been growing it.
    • Chloranthus spicatus, Chicken Feet Orchid: I have not grown this one before but it is supposedly similar in fragrance to Aglaia odorata.

7. icu222much

icu222much New Member

I'll see if my local nursery carry these plants. Are there a few more plants (3 or 4 more) you can suggest in-case the nurseries don't carry the ones you mentioned above?

8. Junglekeeper

Nothing else comes to mind at the moment. I'd like to know myself if there are more plants that fall within your parameters. There may have been an aglaia at the GardenWorks at Mandeville not too long ago. Note that you may have to play with growing conditions to get this plant to bloom consistently.

9. Junglekeeper

I should add that it is the 'Maid of Orleans' cultivar of Jasminum sambac that I'm recommending. It is also the one that is most readily available.

10. icu222much

icu222much New Member

Thank you Junglekeeper for your tips!