What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

What a frost that was last night for the UK. Hope yours were OK R @dicky5ash after all the work covering them.
    I sprayed at 2200hrs last night, again at 0300hrs and a few minutes ago. Even then with al, the soft new shoots, I'm unsure I saved many from being hit. We will see.
    But it's happening again tonight. Last time apparently !!!!!!!???????

Good luck everyone.

2. Acerholic

OMG, hail storms, what next ?? Hope all yours coped OK J ? Hail stones can cause a lot of damage to new young shoots.

3. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Yes, all okay, luckily.
    I have to admire your dedication being out spraying at 3.00am, that’s impressive to say the least.

Margot likes this.
  4. Acerholic

Impressive is not what my wife calls me J, .Lol.

5. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

What's that ?... ;-)

Here today, it's pouring : between last night and now (11PM in France), at least about 20 mm of rain.

dicky5ash likes this.
  6. Acerholic

Time to emigrate!!! I'm really getting fed up with this. Lol.

7. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Think all the sheet covering worked..pretty much unscathed..took them all off sharpish this morning as it started to rain..will be good for them after having been plastered with sheets! Looks like it’s 4c at its coldest tonight so will take my chances..my garden is very enclosed, with high trees from a park next door and 11 foot high fences on top on a 4 foot high raised border..provides some good cover.. albeit I appreciate it sound like a Alcatraz/ground zero hybrid lol

8. Acerholic

That's really good news R, bet your pleased with yourself that all the hard work paid off. 4°C tonight for you, that should be fine then, here it's going down to 1 °C , too close for comfort tbh for me.

9. AlainK

I've just had a look at today's temps from two stations nearby (one north, the other one south of where I live) :

6.2/15.8
    6.6/15.7

And LOTS of rain !

10. Acerholic

Not very warm throughout the day Alain, but I would take those night time temperatures.....

11. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

We had some snow yesterday. The weather turned colder 2 weeks ago, when I planted my avocado outdoors. 4 days ago I planted outdoors my first rooted fig cuttings this year. And soon snow followed.
    Fortunately it seems that the weather turns significantly warmer next week.

12. Acerholic

Good evening Sulev, I do hope you are well. Haven't seen you on the maples forum for a while.
    And there us moaning about a little frost. You have snow !!! But as you say, it appears everywhere will start to warm up next week. Let's hope so.

13. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

Good evening, Acerholic! I'm fine, thank you! And my maples are too - I lost only half of my A. tegmentosum-s. My ginnala-s over wintered well. But as I already told earlier, my modest maples are not so interesting, I have no special beauties like many others here.
    Weather is chilly here, but at least we had no strong night frosts recently. Just temperatures have been a few degrees colder than usually. Where did the global warming go?

14. Acerholic

Thats what a lot of people are saying atm.
    Do put some of your maples on the forum Sulev. I for one enjoy seeing them.

Great to hear from you again

D

15. AlainK

"Global warming" doesn't mean the temperatures will rise all year long. More "extreme" weather is to come, it's like a clock that goes mad, what we've had here : exceptionally hot March, exceptionally cold April, etc.

Heavy rainstorms in summer after a period of drought : the earth can't take all the water => floodings.

I wish I was still in the days of dope and hope, I was stupid but so innocent <LOL>

maf and zfrittz like this.
  16. Acerholic

Oh dear Alain, looks like we were on opposite sides of the fence, so to speak.
    But both on the same side now with our Maples... lol.

17. AlainK

What ? You don't like "the Turtles" ?

18. Acerholic

Lol !!!

19. Acerholic

It was -2°C at 0400hrs this morning in my garden. The sky did not have a cloud in sight and the stars looked so bright. But although it was a lovely night looking up, on the ground was a different matter, the frost was hard hitting. There are just too many with delicate leaves at this time of the year to cope.
    But we will see, and according to the very accurate BBC forecast, that's the end to this Spring's overnight frosts. That sentence was very tongue in cheek btw. Lol.

20. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I think that's an excellent analogy for climate change . . . like a clock that goes mad. Very unsettling and downright scary.

21. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Indeed, great analogy. But the overall temperature trend is still upwards globally. NOAA just released their 30 year average (released for the US every 10 years) as they've been doing since the early 20th century now, it was covered by one of the papers I read online. The data showed an increase of about 0.5°F over the last two periods, and the overall trend is very clear. Interestingly the US is generally getting wetter, as we get dryer in EU. And, they've been having these episodes of "polar vortex" where the jet stream pushes arctic air quite far south, some of our friends have lost large maple collections in these hyper-cold episodes. Like a mad clock.

Still freezing D! I hope it's over now. Unlike Alain we didn't get very much rain, theough 9mm is very welcome, there will be a little more to come Sunday, but with some nice weather until then. We've had a little ground frost but nothing more. I wonder if the new patterns will make Normandie dryer than the Loire!

22. Acerholic

What is it Isaac Newton said," to every action there is an equal and opposite reaction". I think this maybe what we are seeing.

23. Acerholic

Afraid so E, but fingers crossed that's the last of it. But I checked my gardening diary this morning, as I remembered a couple of years ago having a May frost, and there it was 'May 14th 2019' An overnight frost and hail stones through the day. How we forget when things are bad!!
    And yes, I do keep a gardening diary. LOL.

24. Acerholic

No frosts here at last and I think that's it for this Spring, fingers crossed. But after all the spraying, I knew there would be some problems, as nothing wins all the time. So here is a photo of the leaves of my Atropurpureum this morning.
    Atropurpureum frost damage 220.JPG
    These few will drop off over the coming days, so no long-term damage to the tree.

25. Acerholic

I thought I would add that it is 9°C here at 2pm. It's the 16th May and this time last year it was 23° C. What a difference a year makes!!

The long range forecasts are saying for a flaming June. I can't wait......