Maple cultivar by another name OR (Synonym).#27 #458 #665 #786

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

This one is another first written about by Yano and is cultivar 'Tsukasa hime yatsubusa', the synonym is Kanto hime yatsubusa.

2. Acerholic

I think we have all got this one wrong, Synonym is Twombley's Red Sentinel, but the cultivar is 'Tromley's Red Sentinel '. First written about in 2006.

3. Acerholic

Here we can see the re naming coming to light. Cultivar ' Traywick', and the synonym is, Pam Tramwick.

4. Acerholic

Here we have 'Toyo nishiki' and the synonym is Toyama nishiki. (Maples of the world). MOW.

5. Acerholic

I think a lot of maple lovers have this one in their gardens, Azuma Murasaki, I do, but this is the synonym of Acer palmatum 'Toshi'. (MOW).

6. Acerholic

Another play on spelling, but this is listed as a cultivar, 'Tombley's Red Sentinel ' and of course the synonym is Twombley's Red Sentinel.

7. Acerholic

Acer palmatum 'Thunbergii' has a synonym of A.palmatum .ssp palmatum.

8. Acerholic

I think over the years we have all heard of the cultivar ' Threadleaf', so it's no surprise that the synonym is, Dissectum. But it will be added.
    ( Vertrees and MOW).

9. Acerholic

'The Olsen's Strawberry Frost' cultivar is not going to be a surprise for the synonym of Olsen's Frosted Strawberry. But I know that not many knew the cultivar name.

10. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi D,

9 whole mm of rain here! Hope you got some. Anyway...

I think either I'm getting confused by what you're writing, or you're getting it backwards from the intent in the book.

Reading from the Checklist:

For example, 'Twombley's Red Sentinel' is the cultivar name, named by Twombley's nursery. The source of the information is Iseli/Buccholtz.

'Tromley's Red Sentinel', which was sold in the 2006 Greer Gardens catalog, is a synonym for this plant.

So the cultivar is 'Twombley's ...' as most of us call it, and the synonym is "Tromley's". I read what you said as the opposite.

One way to lessen confusion may be to put the real cultivar name in single quotes -- the accepted practice -- while leaving the synonym double quoted, or with no quotes at all.

Cheers, -E

11. Acerholic

That's interesting E, 'Tromley's Red Sentinel' is shown as a listed cultivar. With Twombley's Red Sentinel as the synonym. Greer gdns 2006.
    I am putting cultivar names in single quotes on all the listings. All synonyms I am showing as having no quotes.

12. Acerholic

'Teyono hoshi' cultivar with a synonym of Tennyo-no-hoshi. (Vertrees).

13. Acerholic

Acer palmatum ' Teriba' sounds like it could be a terrible maple, but I'm sure it is not. The synonym is Teri ha.

14. Acerholic

This one is another I have hot heard of. Acer palmatum 'Tentou'. The synonym is Tendo.

15. Acerholic

Acer palmatum 'Tatsuta kaede' with a synonym of Tatsuta gawa. (Vertrees).

16. Acerholic

I have seen this one spoken about as the synonym Ryuto, but the cultivar name is Acer palmatum 'Tatsu gashira'.

17. Acerholic

Acer palmatum ' Tata nishiki 'is another I have heard of as the synonym Akaji nishiki. (Yano).

18. Acerholic

Acer palmatum 'Taro hiyama' has the synonym of Taro yama. (Esveld cat 1987).

19. Acerholic

This is one we are all familiar with. Acer palmatum ' Tanyo-no-hoshi' , the synonym is Tennyo-no-hoshi. ( Vertrees).

20. Acerholic

Last one for a while. Cultivar Acer palmatum 'Tanba seigai'. With the synonym Akaji nishiki. (Vertrees).

21. emery

I think you're reading it backwards, D. Each name is listed in the "Cultivar" column, then in the "origin/synonym" column, there _either_ the origin, for the correct name, or something that looks like "= <name>" which indicates that the name on the left is a synonym for the name after the equals sign. So in the case here, it has:

Tromley's Red Sentinel ( = 'Twombleys Red Sentinel'). Confusingly in the Checklist the single quotes are used for the "real" and "synonym" names, the single quote usage in the previous sentence I've modified for clarity.

Similarly, the real name 'Tsuma gaki', from the Sekihin Binran 1882 list, and Tsuma gari (='Tsuma gaki') indicating that the real name is 'Tsuma gaki' and the synonym is Tsuma gari. Vertrees states this status explicitely: "The name has been mis-spelled: 'Tsuma gari'".

22. Acerholic

Ahh now that makes more sense, thanks E. I will edit.

23. Acerholic

Yes, I agree this should not have been done, that just breeds confusion.

24. Acerholic

@emery, can I ask for you to do this one on page 69. 'Takini yama' = synonym Tamuke yama. Now both have single quotes I know, but Tamuke yama is shown as a synonym and 'Takini yama' is the cultivar.

25. emery

I don't think so. 'Tamuke yama' has a 1710 origin, with a source from Vertrees. If we look there, we see he says it has been "listed as early as 1710".

In the Checklist, we have Takini yama (='Tamuke yama'). Vertrees clarifies that he had a plant called Takiniyama which basically turned out to be identical to 'Tamuke yama', and since there were no records of the Takini name, he concluded it was a synonym of Tamuke.

This is how the Checklist has it: Takini yama (=, meaning is a synonym of) 'Tamuke yama', as sourced from Vertrees. You can read the whole discussion in Vertrees, of course.