Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

She says 'many thanks' and he has.....lol.

Jaybee63 likes this.
  2. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I have Momoiro koya San and after seeing your spelling wondered if I had the tree labelled incorrectly.
    I’ve searched on line on seen nurseries use both interpretations of the name.

3. Acerholic

Yes, this is one of those that could possibly go on the other thread, but I've been a bit hesitant to do it, as it's more about slight spelling anomaly. But as you have pointed it out J and a miss spelling is often how another name starts, then why not !!

4. Acerholic

Good morning, well after more very cold weather accross the whole of the UK overnight, the sun has made a welcome appearance. Not sitting in the garden having a coffee though, Oh no !!
    But I managed to take these as they have survived.
    Yasemin 218.JPG Johin 218.JPG Brocade 218.JPG Azuma Murasaki 218.JPG
    All a bit droopy, they are Yasemin, Johin, Brocade and Azuma Murasaki.

5. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Acer griseum, with Tamarix flowers and Wisteria in the background.
    How's yours doing in your polar climate Derek ?

acer-gris01_210506a.jpg

6. Acerholic

It's doing OK Alain, but not as far along as yours in tropical Orleans , lol.

7. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

After the rain, a sunny evening.

Tsuma gaki (and Emerald Lace) :

acerp-tsuma-gaki_210506a.jpg

Gwen's Rose Delight (Shirazz) :

acerp-gwensro_210506a.jpg

Rainbow :

acerp-rainbow01_210506a.jpg

O sakazuki :

acerp-o-sakazuki_210506a.jpg

Beni hagoromo :

acerp-benihag01_210506a.jpg

Trompenburg :

acerp-tromp_210506a.jpg

Beni komachi :

acerp-z-foret.francis_210506a.jpg

8. Acerholic

Good morning, the brightest blue sky has followed a very cold night, but hopefully the last for this Spring.
    Everything has dried out very quickly, so here are a few photos I took moments ago of , Shin-Deshojo, Olsen's Frosted Strawberry, Autumn gold, Butterfly and Fairy lights.
    Shin deshojo 219.JPG Olsens Frosted Strawberry 219.JPG Autumn gold 219.JPG Butterfly 219.JPG Fairy lights 219.JPG

9. Jaybee63

Yikes, frost damage and it’s the first time I’ve been hit, with the late leaf out I’ve been lucky.
    Some judicious pruning required to get things back to pristine.
    I’ve never known a May frost in the 11 years we’ve been here.

10. Acerholic

Good morning J, I'm very surprised that you were hit. Fareham is usually quite protected from the sea breezes.
    This is such a weired Spring this year. I hope nothing was hit too bad for you.

11. Jaybee63

I’ve got a few where the nee growth on a branch or two has been fried, so it’s wait for them to rebud and lead out or prune out and maintain the pristine look

12. Acerholic

Sorry to hear that J. But as you say the second flush will sort that out in a few weeks. Have you seen the winds for tomorrow btw. 41mph forecast here. When does all this end!!!?

13. Jaybee63

Protection from wind is one of the reasons I’ve planted so many trees, filter the wind as well as direct sunlight.
    A few of them have got a bit of growing to do yet before they give proper protection but it’s a long term goal.

14. Jaybee63

Sitting back relaxing enjoying the garden before the weekend washout
    image.jpg

image.jpg
    image.jpg

15. D97x7

D97x7 Contributor 10 Years

Just a plain Acer Palmatum of no known name, purchased from a DIY store for £1.25, a cracking little tree for the price it always puts a smile on my face.
    IMG_20210507_150405.jpg IMG_20210507_150537.jpg IMG_20210507_150618.jpg

16. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

'Mikawa Yatsubusa' was the only maple to experience extensive frost damage though if you don't get too close you would never know, ha...

Flanked by 'Hubbbs Red Willow' and a circinatum
    05.05.21 08.11.30 AM.jpeg 05.06.21 02.51.07 PM.jpeg 05.05.21 08.05.16 AM.jpeg 05.05.21 05.43.24 PM.jpeg

17. Acerholic

Jaybee63 likes this.
  18. Acerholic

Isn't it funny N, that the cheapest tree often turns out to be one of the best. It's beautiful. And I bet it colours up fantastically in the Autumn too.

D97x7 likes this.
  19. Acerholic

I love the distance shot G... very clever. Lol. But in all seriousness, they are looking great.

20. Acerholic

Good morning, well I've been so used to getting up at 3, 4 and 5 o'clock every morning for the last 8 weeks now, spraying my trees because of the constant frosts, that this morning even though there was no frost, Hurrah!! I was out checking my trees again at 0530. But I'm glad I did, as the rain is coming soon.
    So here are a few photos I took. Have a lovely weekend everybody.
    Mirte 220.JPG Satsuki beni 220.JPG Anne irene 220.JPG Westonbirt Orange 220.JPG
    Mirte, Satsuki Beni, Anne Irene and Westonbirt Orange.

21. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Morning all. I've always wanted to live in a little house in the woods. That was never going to happen while I'm working in London, so I brought the trees to me. I call the littlest ones my 'retirement garden' - in another 30 years I'll move home to South Yorkshire and plant them (hopefully much bigger by then!) in the ground at last.

--removed broken links to images -- Daniel --

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2021
    D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  22. Acerholic

Good morning and welcome to the maples forum Xi. And can I say what a wonderful start for your first posting. We have a few members from London, who I am certain will enjoy seeing your maples very much indeed as have I.
    So it's Yorkshire for your retirement. What a lovely place for you and your maples. I'm certain M @ROEBUK would approve.

D

23. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Thank you so much - yes, looking forward to going home again even if it's some way off, I think the maples will appreciate the rain Oop North too when we get there!

(I have to say, I've been haunting this forum for a few weeks now and what a wonderful resource and lovely community - so many friendly and helpful people, and so many photos of the different cultivars at all seasons. Really happy to be here!)

24. Acerholic

That is so very nice of you to pay all the members this compliment X. It is a very friendly forum with so many willing to give any advice they can at any time of the day and night. I also agree with your words, that it is so nice to see maples at the different stages through all seasons and not just Spring and Autumn. An 'amazing' tree.
    I do like your Grandma ghost BTW. It is the photo on my profile.

I look forward to seeing more of your photos as the year progresses

Xi-feng likes this.
  25. Acerholic

Good morning, it has been 12°C here all night long, so very strange, but very welcome.
    So it's back to the early morning coffee in the garden amongst our trees.
    Here are a few from just minutes ago. Phoenix, Going Green, Beni Maiko, Purple ghost, Otome Zakura, Red Feather, Grandma ghost and English Town.

Have a lovey relaxing Sunday everyone.
    Phoenix 221.JPG Going Green 221.JPG Beni Maiko 221.JPG Purple ghost 221.JPG Otome Zakura 221.JPG Red Feather 221.JPG Grandma ghost 221.JPG English Town 221.JPG

LorenzoDec, AlainK, Acirón and 6 others like this.