Sunshine Coast/Gulf Islands

Discussion in 'VCBF Neighbourhood Blogs' started by Willard, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Willard

Willard Generous Contributor

Yes Georgia, tree at Legion is typical umbrella-shaped ‘Yae-beni-shidare’

‘Snofozam’ on Roberts Creek Rd is fountain-shaped, IMO.

Georgia Strait likes this.
  2. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Thank you for clarifying @Willard

I noted a couple of blossom trees today in Gibsons

If you go down Gibsons Way to Seaview Road (just above the final curve to the old village)

Turn from Gibsons Way north on to SEAVIEW

Near (of all places) Devlin Funeral Home —- there is a pale pink blossom tree

And a couple of dark burgundy blossom trees

I could not stop and look - so they might be apple / crabapple

Regardless - they are gorgeous and if you’re out - pls go have a look (no Gibsons haircuts :)

I like how real old fashioned apple blossoms (old Okanagan BC orchards) have that simple yet perfectly created combo of pink white green and the dark grey branches. Classic. And that mtn ocean view these on Seaview enjoy.

3. Willard

Your final hurrah tree on Langdale Rd is ‘Kanzan’, and a mighty fine one, I might add.

20210430 LangdaleRd Kanzan Willard IMG_0602.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning @Willard , I know this is all about Cherry blossom, but what about the girth of that trunk ? and even more so, the branches ? An amazing specimen. Lovely photo.

Willard likes this.
  5. Willard

Yes, that trunk has a lot to say for itself.
    Looks like it survived an amputation.

6. Willard

Revisited that bushy 'Ama-no-gawa' at Marina Place on Trueman Rd today. My friend Stefanie (who is not a cherry scout, and never will be) pointed out that the graft was unusual. And the root stock is very sturdy for an 'Ama-no-gawa'.
    It's another strange cherry tree on the Sunshine Coast.

20210501 TruemanRd ANG Willard DSC_0697.JPG 20210501 TruemanRd ANG Willard DSC_0693.jpg 20210501 TruemanRd ANG Willard DSC_0680.JPG
    20210501 TruemanRd ANG Willard DSC_0673.JPG 20210501 TruemanRd ANG Willard DSC_0674.JPG 20210501 TruemanRd ANG Willard DSC_0677.JPG 20210501 TruemanRd ANG Willard DSC_0679.JPG

Even the small branches are not normal - there's a tendency to grow down, and then UP!
    Cannot be explained by the Gibsons haircut. This tree has not been tampered with (i.e. pruned).

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    Acerholic likes this.
  7. Georgia Strait

@Willard - i have not been to see Marina Place tho I hope to asap

I am not fully clear on what is puzzling re this specific tree

Do you have a photo to post together to show ideal versus tree at Marina Place ?

Is IGA MALL same type of tree? I will have to scroll thru to find your answer

8. Georgia Strait

9. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Were you meaning to attach a photo?

10. Georgia Strait

Oh I was linking to post with photos by Willard showing the « flagpole » cherries in bloom on Harry Rd out in West side of Gibsons (Bonniebrook)

11. Willard

See post #472 in West End neighbourhood for a beautiful pair of tall slender 'Ama-no-gawa'. Photographed April 16, 2018.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2021
  12. Georgia Strait

@Willard
    Hello - making the most of my rainforest day in an errand

I was looking at blossoms that I think are cherries

(And so many others now too - elderberry / wild volunteer apple / ornamental pear (home hardware?) etc

And the wild cherries we grew up with in the forest at the coast sure last a long time - my fav

And then planted ornamental - where is our longest latest on the mainland coast

——
    I notice one still looking pretty good on North Road just past Persephone Brew

- go past the major « bypass » intersection and go down the hill on North Rd - and there is a welded honey-bee sculpture — AND on your left with old rhodo shrubs — a Kanzan? That little corner is shaded and damp so maybe that tree blossom lasts longer (that is / was often black ice driving corner in winter so later blossom might be related)

If you get to Chamberlin Rd - you are too far. Good old fashioned rural directions :)

13. Willard

BTW all cherry trees at IGA mall are ‘Kanzan’

14. Georgia Strait

IGA MALL are stunning and reasonable hair style too!

There is a pretty tree at Home Hardware (a cherry or pear ornamental?)

And the sunnycrest liquidambar are leafing (nobody in crow nest tho)

I wonder where is the last-blooming ornamental or wild on mainland Sunshine Coast

If we assume that further north might be later bloom - there were some very special ornamentals I used to see often in May that FEDERAL Ottawa govt (not City of Prince Rupert) hacked down a few yrs ago - upsetting esp to those who knew (experienced) the heritage and the connection to Japan and internment (& the little boat at museum)

History behind the cherry trees the feds cut down in Prince Rupert - Prince Rupert Northern View

Willard and Acerholic like this.
  15. Willard

Newly planted 'Ama-no-gawa' on private property on Ocean Beach Esplanade north of 2nd street. Easily visible from the road.
    Label still attached.

20210504 OceanBeachEsplanade ANG Willard DSC_0714.jpg 20210504 OceanBeachEsplanade ANG Willard DSC_0710.JPG 20210504 OceanBeachEsplanade ANG Willard DSC_0711.JPG

Georgia Strait and Acerholic like this.
  16. Acerholic

Good morning @Willard, I really like where the residents have planted that Amanogawa. Looks very natural as if a seed has just sprung up. But not with the label, lol

Willard and wcutler like this.
  17. Willard

Maybe I should go out there after dark with my clippers.

Acerholic likes this.
  18. Acerholic

Lol !!!!

19. Georgia Strait

I like that tall narrow « flagpole » style

I note the power wire above the « flagpole » in your pix - I hope tree does not meet pruning motorized shaving device aka Gibsons haircut

————

Meanwhile - more last hurrah this muggy coast day

I like this pattern of petals today on country road

The reason for curved lines is because of heavy rain that floated the petals - plus a few cars (I didn’t photograph the squished petals)

I know it’s Kanzan petal

One day I will look back at first report 2021 @Willard (the water tanks on School Hill March 2021?)

I am curious about the blossom span we have on mainland coast

Attached Files:

20. wcutler

What do you want to start with? 'Jugatsu-zakura', cherry of the 10th month, and what is more common here, the related 'Autumnalis Rosea', start in October or November. 'Whitcomb' puts out some flowers in January, as do occasionally 'Accolade' and 'Fudan-zakura'. How many flowers do you want there to be before you start counting? 'Shiro-fugen' still have flowers in June, even with some new ones among the hangers-on.

21. Georgia Strait

@wcutler @Willard

Further to previous post I made today May 05/21 about earliest in our mainland Sunshine Coast

Here is first 2021 post by Willard near museum & Gibsons BC post office in the old village down in the bay area

Whitcomb is what has been identified

(I don’t know how to link to a post number directly #)

I am trying to make myself a map chart fr this thread in prep for 2022. I am trying to learn & appreciate Coast mainland trees in our usual routes of errands (eg Grocery and post office and bank and our highway which is ferry across Howe Sound - and no, the Sunshine coast is not an island :)

Attached Files:

22. wcutler

Find the posting number at the bottom right.
    On a phone, you probably have to turn the phone sideways. Press that until the Url comes up. I was not able to copy thay directly, had to open in a new tab and then copy the url. Now I am pasting it.
    Identification: - Ted and Mary Greig Rhododendron Garden including some unknowns for ID.
    @Willard might be able to say if there is a more direct method on an iPhone. There might even be an easier way on this Android. I don't know how anybody uses these things to get anything done.
    On a desktop, you would right click and copy the link, then paste the link (ctrl+v) where you want it.

23. wcutler

Here is one suggestion, which I have done to test my instructions, so read this all before doing it.
    Go to the festival map at Neighbourhood Maps (vcbf.ca)
    Click the Search tab
    Under Neighbourhood, select Sunshine Coast, and then you have to click the Search button.
    Looking at the four column headings, click Blooming.

This theoretically should give you everything that has been reported in that neighbourhood in the approximate blooming order. I've done a scrolling screen print for you of what is on the map now. Or I see that there is a Print button, so I did that and then a web capture, so I'm including that version as well.
    @Willard has been really good about putting markers on the map, but I don't see the Whitcomb one. There are probably some others that are missing. I'm sure if you can identify which postings have trees that don't have a map marker, she would do the marker. If you do that, please send the requests in a Conversation, not in this thread.

24. Georgia Strait

Grocery shopping Friday evening and looking for some last cherry blossoms

Lots of wild cherries for sure

And the leaves have overtaken the drying petals at IGA Gibsons parking

The wind has been quite consistent for a couple of days so the petals are fleeting about like the usual pink snow

I have attached a photo of pretty petal collection in parking space - @Willard says the mall is Kanzan

—-
    The blurry pix are over on North Road just past the left turn one takes if heading down the big steep hill to ferry Langdale Terminal

I am guessing Kanzan and are the strongest display of late cherries I have seen - it’s a cold spot in the winter and shaded at any time of year so maybe that helps extend the blossom on these two trees on side of road (best view is morning light)

——-

Dare I ask — is it last hurrah —

or “last kick at the Kanzan”

(I agree, bad pun)

Attached Files:

Willard and Acerholic like this.
  25. Willard

Last kickers will be ‘Shiro-fugen’. Still blooming on Franklin Rd.
    Pink blossoms holding on for dear life.