Acer palmatum 'Akebono'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by LorenzoDec, May 5, 2021.

1. LorenzoDec

LorenzoDec Active Member

I promised to make a thread about this cultivar, and I'm here trying to keep my word.
    Sadly, I don't have too much to say, for now at least. I bought a specimen from Guy Maillot at the end of January, so I'm still experimenting with him.
    Two things he doesn't seem to like: full sun and chilly winds. The upper branches, more exposed to sun, already had scorched leaves by the end of March, and the cold wave at the beginning of April didn't help at all.
    Nonetheless, I think it's a pretty enough cultivar. I'm going to update this thread in the coming months, with photos and observations.

Attached Files:

Romain01, LoverOfMaples and Acerholic like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I haven't seen this one in the flesh, so to speak Lorenzo, so it is a real treat to see it here. Very pretty colours with the yellows and oranges.
    Regarding the full sun and chilly winds, 'do any really like this '!!?
    It has been a very difficult Spring for all of us this year, let's just hope these next few weeks see the trees pick up.
    I will be following this thread Lorenzo with a lot of interest.

LorenzoDec likes this.
  3. LorenzoDec

LorenzoDec Active Member

I come back with a little update, to show at least some summer colors. I also have something else to report: as I said in my previous post, my Akebono had lost some of his leaves in Spring, and sadly he wasn't the only one among my maples. However, he is one of the few who didn't have a second flush of leaves. I don't know if this behavior is peculiar to this cultivar, or maybe to this specimen only. I think the latter is more likely

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  4. LorenzoDec

LorenzoDec Active Member

My bad! I forgot to update this thread with the last couple of photos I took during Fall, so here they are (better late than never, i suppose). I don't have much to say, except that maybe he wasn't at his top shape, since the leaves should've had more red shades. I hope it was just the normal period of acclimatization. Next update will be soon, I promise

Attached Files:

maf and Acerholic like this.
  5. LorenzoDec

LorenzoDec Active Member

A little Spring update, as I promised. Well, it seems that this cultivar can produce flowers!

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  6. Acerholic

Wonderful Lorenzo and I see you have it well protected.

LorenzoDec likes this.
  7. LorenzoDec

LorenzoDec Active Member

Thank you, D. I guess the background is quite telling, isn't it? This year I decided to set up a little greenhouse, and I managed to fit all my potted maples inside. Last Spring taught me a hard lesson, and now I don't want to take any chances

Acerholic likes this.
  8. Acerholic

Excellent planning. You will be rewarded with a beautiful show this year.

LorenzoDec likes this.