Spring colo(u)rs

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Mar 24, 2021.

1. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

Thanks D, yes you might be correct about Red feather. It is quite bright red this year, the rest of the season it is much darker. Even though it looks quite fragile with the thin leaves it handels full sun fine. Ah well, will probably never know for sure, I do enjoy it though. Foto is from spring last year.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I'm now more convinced it is Red Feather M. Or it is also known I believe, as Red filigree lace.
    Lovely photo on your deck area btw.,

3. Acerholic

I was out doing some gardening this afternoon and I saw this reverting branch on my Butterfly, so before removing it, I took some photos. They do creep up on you if your not extra vigilant at this time of the year.
    I did also enjoy the colours of my Butterfly in the afternoon sun.
    Butterfly 211.JPG Butterfly 212.JPG Butterfly 213.JPG Butterfly 214.JPG

4. Acerholic

The title of this thread points us all in the direction of colour and some warmth. So yes there is some colour coming now here in the South of England, but warmth, 'definatly not'.
    The forecast said last night we were colder than Saint Petersburg in Russia. Come on, this is getting ridiculous..
    So here are a few of my shivering babies.
    Wakehurst pink 211.JPG Hessei 211.JPG Flavescens 211.JPG Ornatum 211.JPG Jordan 211.JPG

5. MapleMO

Good morning D, fortunately they do not seem to have suffered due to your hard labour, they look great all considering! I am also not looking forward to the strong winds this week. It wil hit here on Tuesday. Fun times for sure.

6. Acerholic

Good luck to you M, at least it's not a drying wind. I also think all the Spring blossom will be sadly gone in the next two days.
    Thanks for the kind remarks about my maples, it has been hard work this year more than any other I remember tbh. Let's hope it's not a regular yearly occurrence.

7. MapleMO

Lets enjoy it while it lasts! I love the colours and smell after the rain and couldn’t stop taking pictures. Some overview pictures of my garden 3 years after starting from scratch. And some of Jerre schwartz, Azuma murasaki, Osakazuki, Corallinum, Shidava gold and Red feather.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

Rain on maple leaves, beautiful M.

9. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

The smell of the earth after a summer rain always brings back childhood memories, when I grew up in Massif Central. We would put on our rubber boots, take astick and look for snails that my father would cook for the family a few days later.
    Yes, snails, and they're delicious ! <LOL>

PS: I realize you might think I'm obsessed with food. Actually, among the first things I'd like to do after the lockdown is to invite my best friend to a good restaurant, 80-100 € each with a good bottle of wine. And visit the Fine Arts museum in Orléans. Then renew my subscription to the swimming-pool and try to get rid of the 2.5 kilos I've put on in a year... ^_^

Nik likes this.
  10. MapleMO

I totally agree, good food is amazing. My husband and I like to travel and from past travels, even from 20 years ago, I might not remember what we did or saw but I remember what we had for dinner ;-) Snails though I have not had the privilege to try. I find it interesting that preferred food is so tightly linked to country of origin.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
    Nik likes this.
  11. Nik

Nik Contributor

I second MapleMO’s sentiment. My husband and I are also very food oriented, especially when we travel. I strongly believe that taste and smell produce much longer lasting memories... and the strongest ones are always from our childhood.
    And we love escargot, always on the menu at good French restaurants.
    We are also huge opera fans and frequently go to the Met. It’s been more than a year since our last visit, it seems like ages ago.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  12. AlainK

The only opera house I've ever been to was in Palermo, Sicily during a (wonderful) holiday. It was the third we would have paid in France, "Aida". And when I say that at times it really brought tears to my eyes, that's not an overstatement. I was so moved, the vibrations, the audience around, the setting (a very classical opera house), that was really wonderful. I've seen several performances of "The Magic Flute" on TV, some very classical, other with a very modern staging, it's one my favourite operas, but I can't imagine how it could be "in real life".

Nik likes this.
  13. Acerholic

What triggers we all have !! But funny how we all have similar ones.

14. Nik

Nik Contributor

An opera in French, recording studio, amazing:

Acerholic and AlainK like this.
  15. AlainK

Of course, very famous, splendid, "ethereal"...

16. Acerholic

I love this piece N.

17. Acerholic

I had this lovely Lakme Flower duet music in my head whilst out in my garden taking these few just now. Not a bad way to start the day. Thanks N.
    Autumn moon 211.JPG Trompenburg 211.JPG Red pigmy 211.JPG Chitoseyama 211.JPG Shigitatsu sawa 211.JPG Mon papa 211.JPG
    They are :- Autumn moon, Trompenburg, Red Pygmy, Chitosayama, Shigitatsu Sawa and Mon Papa.

18. Acerholic

Just a couple today as everything took a battering last night, so here is my Orange Dream that was discussed yesterday on a thread, Osakasuki that was talked about this morning and Ukigumo because it's just so darned pretty.
    Orange dream 215.JPG Orange dream 216.JPG Osakasuki 215.JPG Osakasuki 216.JPG Ukigumo 215.JPG

dicky5ash, dangerine49, Nik and 5 others like this.
  19. Nik

Nik Contributor

Here is my Ukigumo, nice variegation but not much growth... and Rhode Island Red for a contrast.

Attached Files:

20. Acerholic

Here are a few that caught my eye a few minutes ago in my garden. All still very slow due to the cold.
    Coral magic, Black lace, Ruby Stars and Aoyagi.
    Coral magic 217.JPG View attachment 207504 Black lace 217.JPG Ruby stars 217.JPG Aoyagi 217.JPG

Nik, dicky5ash and AlainK like this.
  21. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Mirte
    image.jpg
    Crippsi
    image.jpg
    Pink Blush
    image.jpg
    Little Princess
    image.jpg
    Starfish
    image.jpg
    Volubile
    image.jpg
    Mon Papa
    image.jpg
    Bonnie Bergman
    image.jpg

Last edited: May 5, 2021
    LoverOfMaples, Nik, dicky5ash and 2 others like this.
  22. Acerholic

Good morning J, hope it's a lovely start for you today also. Can I ask about Mitre ? I've never heard if this one, or is it a typo ? And should be Mirte ?
    Really enjoyed your Bonnie Bergman, great name and a wonderful tangerine Spring colour.

23. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

The wonders of not wearing my glasses and spell correction.
    You are indeed correct and well spotted. It should read Mirte. I will edit the post

24. Acerholic

Understood J, I do it often as well, Lol.

25. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Early days in my neck of the woods but here’s a few:
    Skeeters broom
    Baldsmith
    Filigree
    Sango Kaku, Crimson Queen
    Crispifolium
    Trompenburg
    Enkan

Attached Files: