What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I'm almost ashamed to post this : 2.1° last night, 16° this afternoon, a bit colder in the afternoon next week, with rainy episodes, but... 24° on Saturday afternoon, and then "yoyo" weather again, but no frost at all.

I've bought some tomato and courgettes plants. With all the paracetamol I took in the past two days and my "back belt" (? don't know the term for "ceinture lombaire"), I should be able to dig a patch for a vegetable garden this year again. Hopefully.

PS: I only developped a pain in the shoulder some 6 hours after the jab, like a blow from a rugby field, it still hurt a little yesterday and today it's about back to normal again.

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Don't be Alain, it's great to hear good news.

AlainK likes this.
  3. Acerholic

Just had an update on the weather heading towards my maples in a few hours time. 51 mph winds, heavy rain with a max temperature of 10° C.
    IMG_20210503_100916536.jpg
    And can you see Thursday night ? Yes 1° C, so that's everything back in again and spraying night and day.

4. Acerholic

5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

That's a lot of rain, but I'd welcome it.

Our Tues storm looks like a fizzle, now basically nothing expected except wind. Maybe thursday we'll get a few mm.

6. Acerholic

Totally understand that E, the water tables must be very low now everywhere.
    But this 50mph wind atm is really something else.
    I'm looking forward to next week when temperatures are at 18° C daytime and 10° C overnight. Our trees need some sun and warmth.

AlainK likes this.
  7. Nik

Nik Contributor

The weather here is... quite nice actually. Some sunshine, some rain, seasonable temperatures. So sorry to hear about all the unusual events in Europe. I will be traveling to Europe next week, so I will see what is going on... so much trouble traveling these days, all the restrictions, etc.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

Looks like you have fairly nice steady weather there N. Re travelling to Europe next week. Looking at the forecasts we will basking in 18 ° C here in England. Is it the UK you are travelling to N? If so sun cream might be needed, lol.

9. Nik

Nik Contributor

Southeastern Europe, D. The Balkans. Restrictions are more or less the same though throughout the EU. I am proudly still a EU citizen, but not a resident.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  10. Acerholic

Ahh of course N, should have realised, going to see family?

11. Acerholic

So, how did everyone else get on with last nights storm? I've been clearing up broken new young branches everywhere this morning. It's really quite demoralising.

And today 44 mph winds at lunchtime. Temperatures now at 9°C but with the wind it feels so very much colder.
    Is it the same for you J @Jaybee63 further South ?

12. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Unbelievable the strength of the winds for this time of year, but no damage luckily.
    The worst has been the stripping of cherry blossom with the high winds.

13. Acerholic

Same here J, the lovely Cherry blossom is now all over the ground. Looks like 1300hrs is the next strong winds and then it calms down, all ready for a frost on Thursday night, What fun !!! Lol.

14. emery

Definitely a ripping wind, seemed to be very swirly. No big limbs down, but a lot of leaf litter. The triflorum and some other larger trees seemed particularly beat up, perhaps because of existing frost damage to shoots and petioles.

15. Acerholic

I like it E. A real positive to all of this. The wind is just blowing away the frost damage. That's made me feel better.

16. emery

LOL, that's me, Mr. Positive!

17. Jaybee63

We have to be positive lol, the weather can be testing for a maple lover.
    No rain, too much rain, too much summer heat and the wrong sort of Autumn weather spoiling the colour fireworks show.
    For me, it’s how long they can be kept looking pristine before wind burn dries the ends of the leaves.
    At the moment it all looks so good.
    My last 2 to Lear our are Autumn Moon and Shiraz

18. Acerholic

That's good to hear J, and only two to leaf out, Wow. I still have around 20 that I can see the buds, but they are very tardy indeed this year. I do live in quite a frost pocket though.

19. Jaybee63

Popped into Hilliers at Botley earlier, you mentioned you had a £5 discount.
    They are offering 3ltr maples at £19.99 instead of the ticket price of £24.99 for their gardening club members.

20. Acerholic

That's what I got J. So what one did you buy ?

21. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

They predict a hard frost here tonight.. I know my fairly tolerant ex-wife would not have tolerated use of her Egyptian brushed cotton sheets for this purpose..if only she knew lol A minor upside from being able to take household decisions these days :)

Might have damaged a few leaves getting all these on but I think that will be collateral damage compared to a super hard frost over the lot!

Attached Files:

22. Acerholic

Good luck R, Can you believe how long these frosts are going on for. I've just got in from spraying mine and I will be out there at 5am in the morning doing the same again.
    Looks like tomorrow night as well. But then I think we are OK, fingers crossed.

23. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Thanks D...hard draft all round but a little bit of effort is worth it.Takes me about 1.5hrs shifting things and covering.. do you think I can get away with leaving them all on during the day tomorrow?

24. Acerholic

I wouldn't tbh R. They will need to breath. Darned hard work again I know.

dicky5ash likes this.
  25. Jaybee63

Acer Palmatum “Summer Gold”
    We had a heavy hail storm yesterday around 5.00 pm.