Acer palmatum 'Osakazuki'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Connor Sullivan

Connor Sullivan Well-Known Member

I’m happy that you will be documenting your Osakazuki’s growth!

I will have to share a few pictures of mine tomorrow, it’s in a sad state compared to all my others but it’s starting it’s spring awakening.

Hopefully with some close nurturing care, it will be in good form in a few years. I’ve heard that Osakazuki can be a vigorous and quick grower.

Acerholic likes this.
  2. Connor Sullivan

Osakazuki pulling through and finally waking, definitely behind everyone else but I’m happy it isn’t fully dead!!!

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  3. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Are you planning to grow your Osakazuki as a bush or are you going to thin out some of the branches at the base? I really like mine as a single-trunk tree but of course it's a matter of taste. There's no question mine has plans to be a very large tree as quickly as possible.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    Connor Sullivan and Acerholic like this.
  4. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

That's leafing out very nicely indeed Connor. All systems go now!!

Connor Sullivan likes this.
  5. Acerholic

Very nice Margot, a natural landscape for a beautiful tree. Btw is that your old bike underneath ?

6. Margot

You've got very good eyes, Acerholic but that's just a garden ornament about 3 feet tall. It is my old bike but . . .

I shared that photo of my Osakazuki to contrast a single-trunk tree to a more shrubby form such as @Connor Sullivan's is likely to take with multiple stems from the base. Are there guidelines or pros and cons to think about when deciding to train a Japanese maple to a single trunk rather than letting it become bushy?

7. Acerholic

Start when they are 'young' and look for a leader that is strong. Once they get past a few years of age, I have found it difficult to train in that manner. Just too many ugly pruning marks as well.
    So if you want to try a single trunk Osakasuki, then buy a young graft and start the training immediately.

8. Connor Sullivan

So would these pictures be examples of the 3 of the 4 versions of Osakazuki? I have one at my house is leaves out a "Light Green" leaf mainly with a hint some gold/rose. My father has a Osakazuki and fits the "Akame" version more, seems way more margin red and fuzzy than mine.

I have yet to see a "Beni" version with the very pink new growth, none of ours have that trait.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  9. Connor Sullivan

Honestly, I would like the Osakazuki to be taller, more like a tree and not a bushy shrub.

I want it to be tall, slender and elegant... the Shirazz which is not far way from it can be pruned to be more squat and bushy. Or at least that is my vision....

Any suggestions on pruning then?

10. Margot

I would not stick out my neck on this Forum of such knowledgeable people to give advice on pruning a bushy maple into a single trunk but I'm sure there are experts who can tell you what to do.

11. Acerholic

Good morning Connor, here is mine leafing out in April 2020. It hasn't leafed out this year yet due to the very cold conditions. It may be what you are looking for in the Beni version.
    P1100639.JPG

12. Acerholic

Can you post some photos of yours Connor, so that some suggestions from members can be given?
    The reason I ask is that it's often different with different trees. ie pruning over a few seasons to get the required shape. The end of next month is an ideal time to start aesthetic pruning btw.

13. Connor Sullivan

Ok yes! This is what my dad's Osakazuki looks like.

Mine does not have that much red. I will post soon. Do you think I should keep the tree staked up? I removed the stake that the tree shipped with and it's main leader shifted to the right much more.

14. Acerholic

Photos didn't come through Connor.

15. Acerholic

Tbh Connor, If you want to train it to be more of a single trunk tree, then I personally would stake it. The reason being is that it has been left to grow more as a shrub like appearance and will continue that way unless the main leader that you want is encouraged in the right direction. I've always been of the opinion that it is best to get them into the right shape that you want as early as possible, as the wood is more flexible.

16. Acerholic

4th May 2021 and I just took these for Connor @Connor Sullivan, re the discussion about a Beni Osakasuki.
    Osakasuki 215.JPG Osakasuki 216.JPG

17. Connor Sullivan

Here is a picture of my Osakazuki today after I un-staked it yesterday.

Attached Files:

18. Connor Sullivan

I guess it doesn’t need to be a single trunk tree but I would like all the branches to clear the fence and then they branch out however they please. I just like the more elegant branching rather than a giant bush where you CAN’T SEE any branch structure.

I hope this makes sense, I’m still very new to all of this.

19. Acerholic

Good morning Connor, I would leave it for this year and let it settle and grow. If it were mine I would be looking at June 2022 to carry out any aesthetic pruning. I can see what you want, but this can take few seasons to get there.

20. Acerholic

That looks nice Connor. Later on next year you can start to raise the canopy slowly to establish the more open floating look that I know your after. You already have the three branches there to get a lovely look.

21. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Ozakazuki was my first maple (actually, I bought two of them. One struggled and died within weeks, the other looked progressively sadder through summer, seemed to die completely in early autumn, and the next spring it shocked me by clawing its way back to the land of the living a whole month after it should have started putting out leaves. Miracle!) That was three years ago, and it's now my favourite just because of its sheer tenacity.

This was April last year....
    [​IMG]

...and now at the beginning of May this year. I just moved it into a new position a few days ago so will probably have upset it all over again, but we'll see how it does.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples, MapleMO and Acerholic like this.
  22. Acerholic

There are very few that can match the vibrant reds of Osakasuki in the Autumn. That glow is just mesmerising. I do find that it is quite a thirsty maple. So do keep an eye on it's watering needs Xi, especially in early Spring.

23. Xi-feng

Thanks D, that's a very good point (especially with the dry spring we've had). No issues today; the heavens opened at 5am and are still going strong!

24. Acerholic

The same here Xi. It's the same all over today, and strong winds coming next. What fun. Lol.

25. Xi-feng

My bigger Osakazuki hiding round the back of the house. I thought he was pretty well-protected from winds, but the top branches all died off last year almost perfectly level with the top of the fence. Oh well!

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.