My lime tree is leaking sap and dying slowly!

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Yasi-K, May 2, 2021.

1. Yasi-K

Yasi-K New Member

Hi everyone,

I am a new citrus admirer and my first tree was a dwarf Persian lime which I lost to scale infestation. This tree was a root growth of the main tree (I believe) similar to the little growth in the pot now. I'm not sure if this is the rootstock plant or not but I have decided to keep it. Everything was going well until a month ago when the new growth was accompanied by leaking clear and tasteless sap from every new emerging branch! The tree is dying back now. I couldn't find any insects on the tree. There are swellings on the new branches but nothing under them. Any ideas what this might be?

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Will B

Will B Active Member

I have never personally seen it, but it is possible you may have a copper deficiency. That is documented to cause sap leakage in a way that looks similar to your photos, for example here:
    https://app.periodikos.com.br/article/10.4322/crt.ICC067/pdf/citrusrt-38-1-99.pdf

Another possibility is a fungal infection, e.g. phytophthora gummosis, but your photos do not look quite right for that based on the literature I have seen. Info on gummosis available here:
    Fact Sheet: Phytophthora | Citrus Diseases

Another possibility is past damage that has not yet sealed and is leaking a bit. My guess based on the photos would be copper deficiency. Have you used a fertilizer with micronutrients? For example, Miracle Grow has a tiny amount of copper which is all that is usually needed to avoid copper deficiency.

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  3. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

4. Yasi-K

Yasi-K New Member

Thank you very much for your replies! I haven't fertilized yet since I was worried this might be a fungal disease or an insect. But I will go ahead and fertilize with copper containing fertilizer and hope for recovery.
    On another note, the first tree this one came from as one of those small growths was a dwarf Persian lime so I am assuming it is a rootstock, but it looks completely like the main tree that died. Is it foolish to think that this one will ever produce lime? Thanks a ton!

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

My persian lime is nearly spineless and the leaves somehow don't look quite the same as yours.