Acer palmatum 'Beni otake'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by Elmore, Jan 15, 2004.

1. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

Sun only moved below tree line a couple days ago, haven't paid close attention in previous years. LOL

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

All the colours are appearing now on all my maples and as promised I will keep the photo diary going to show the transformation. So much rain now and new growth, the new shoots are loving this weather at last.

Attached Files:

3. Acerholic

27th August 2020 the winds have died down at last. Some suffered more than others. My Beni Otaki did well.

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

8th September 2020 and the heat is returning, but very cloudy. My maples will enjoy this as long as there is no more new growth.
    So very deep the colour is now on my Beni Otaki. Lovely IMO against the green of my Glauca pendula.

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

13th September 2020 and the sun is shining and it is getting warmer and warmer once again. So I hope my photo conveys this lovely near Autumn day.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

16th September 2020 and new growth is everywhere, due to this unseasonably warm weather.
    Beni Otaki with new centre leaves.

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

20th September 2020 and new growth plus some strange colouring on my maples now. Lovely new growth still very evident on my Beni Otaki.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

26th September 2020 when all around is doom and gloom, some maples are still showing new growth however cold it is.
    My Beni otake is still trying to grow new shoots.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

7th October 2020 and my maples are either turning to Autumn colours, or have new Spring like growth or the leaves are just ready to drop. Such a strange year.
    My Beni Otake is showing lovely colours now and especially in the sun and rain.

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

13th October 2020, my Beni Otake has all the grace you would expect of this cultivar, even in Autumn.

Attached Files:

11. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

The vestiges of summers colors may be all I see this year as only a couple leaves have begun changing color but the signs of a massive brownout are in the air.
    Silhouettes show that bamboo like foliage 'Beni otake' is noted for.

DSCN0750.jpg DSCN0734.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  12. Acerholic

31st October 2020 and the bright colours of my Beni Otake are here at last, won't stay long as the winds are very strong. So zone am enjoying them while I can, however wet I get.

Attached Files:

AlainK likes this.
  13. Acerholic

9th April 2021 and another season starts. It is looking to be a difficult start for my maples here in Southern England due to many hard overnight frosts. So it's important to show how they cope.
    Beni otake 184.JPG

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  14. Acerholic

17th April 2021 and I've been watching over my trees like an expectant father these past 10 days, due to frosts 'every single night', but my Beni Otaki seems to be coping.
    Beni otake 193.JPG

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  15. Acerholic

3rd May 2021 and here we go now for Spring. The soft reds with a hint of yellow in the early sunshine, gives Beni Otaki a lovely soft glow IMO.
    Beni otake 211.JPG

Nik likes this.
  16. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

Forgot to post these the other day. I did a fairly heavy root prune early spring. It seem to be responding well so far.

Attached Files:

Nik, wind-borne and Acerholic like this.
  17. Acerholic

A good root prune will always do the trick D. And your photos is the evidence.

18. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

@LoverOfMaples, nice proportions on the tree. My trunk still playing catchup to the tree as a whole, been years now and I wonder if it ever will.

DSCN5801.jpeg DSCN5805.jpeg

Xi-feng, D97x7, Nik and 1 other person like this.
  19. Acerholic

19th May 2021 and my Beni Otake has been a bit slow to leaf out this year. But I hope it progresses well now.
    Beni Otaki 231.JPG

Xi-feng likes this.
  20. Acerholic

22nd May 2021 and there is nothing quite like maples with raindrops on their leaves. So here is my Beni Otake from a few minutes ago.
    Beni otaki 234.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.
  21. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Here are my two - the little one arrived snapped in half, so the seller kindly sent me the taller one as a replacement. Turns out both survived and are flourishing!
    20210522 Beni Otake.jpg 20210530 Beni Otake.jpg

D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  22. Acerholic

Two for the price of one, now that's got to be a good thing. Both look very healthy Xi.

Xi-feng likes this.
  23. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

Thank you, yes indeed - if anything the 'snapped one' is the nicer tree in terms of leaves and colour, so I'm interested to see how it looks once it's a bit bigger in terms of structure, given that I'm trying to turn the only surviving side-branch into a main leader. Fun to experiment with them!

24. Acerholic

Oh yes indeed and they are so forgiving.

Xi-feng likes this.
  25. Acerholic

2nd June 2021 and now the deep colours are here on my Beni Otake. Thus is a wonderful time of year for this cultivar.
    Beni otaki 249.JPG

Xi-feng and D97x7 like this.