Maple cultivar by another name OR (Synonym).#27 #458 #665 #786

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Jaybee63 Here is my Aoyagi from Sumner 2020.
    Aoyagi 100.JPG

2. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

It’s one I need to add back in, or find where it is/was lol.
    I need a map, planting plan and it’s something I’ve been thinking of doing.
    I always loose a couple per year, just accept it, dieback where I don’t notice it quick enough.
    It’s nearly always over winter, and at the worst I Stump them cutting to just above the graft and if lucky they recover.
    I decided to stop winter pruning apart from disease or structural as on occasion there can be a choice between which branch you remove, but it dieback occurs, I nee up wishing the pruned branch had been left in place.

3. Acerholic

I'm the same J, no Winter pruning other than the three D's.

Jaybee63 likes this.
  4. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Good call forgot about these two , here's both of mine from last fall

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  5. Acerholic

Thanks M, good confirmation.

6. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

one easy example -blue jeans is commercial name of the name Blu di Genova =cotton colored with Iris tinctoria --the navy commerce (now e commerce) have change Blu di Genova (italian city ) in blu jeans -

7. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Ah, the sory of "Blue Jeans"... ^_^

Scusi Alex, but if the term "jeans" is from "Genova", the "blue" is not from Genova, it's from Nimes (hence the word "denim").

Denim - Wikipedia

This fabric was dyed in blue in south-west France :

Isatis tinctoria - Wikipedia

Ecco... ;0)

8. alex66

of corse mine is italian version :-) ,or better is the version of Architetto Paolo Pejrone in your book "In Giardino Non si è Mai soli -Paolo Pejrone is IDS member and Landscape Designer

9. AlainK

Then
    is wrong.

The term "jeans" probably comes from the fact that Genovese sailors would wear bell-bottom tousers, easier to roll up when thay had to clean the deck of a ship, it refers to the shape of the trousers;

"Jeans", hard-fabric trousers with copper rivets at the pockets, were created by Levi Strauss

The Italian an English versions of this page are not as complete as the French version.

10. alex66

you are rigth!! :-)

11. Acerholic

Just had a message about Seiryu and it being sold as Acer palmatum Green Dragon.
    Yet another Japanese translation being used to sell the same tree under a different name.
    It will be added to posting 27 (#27).

12. Jaybee63

Hmm, can’t help thinking what bad practice this is, shame on the perpetrators.

13. Acerholic

Agreed J, but that's the problem with online sellers. I hope in a few days after my chats this morning, to have more to add to the list on #27. This will be Synonyms though and not just being known or sold as.
    Although I am getting a trickle of the latter coming to me on PM's, so I will keep updating, as and when.

14. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

I have one that I thought was worth mentioning. Firstly because it is a tree that I hold in high regard, and secondly the conundrum I had regarding identifying my mislabelled Hime Shojo appears to be this/one of these two trees.

Aka Shigitatsu Sawa
    Beni Shigitatsu Sawa

I have 2 that are labelled Aka Shigitatsu Sawa, one that is labelled Beni Shigitatsu Sawa, and one that came named as Hime Shojo. The Hime Shojo was immediately apparent to me that it was a Reticulated cultivar but as it was late in the season it was very hard to define.

Having just been outside and looking at all 4 of them, they all look exactly the same. Obviously I’ll monitor through the seasons, but I think at this point it’s safe today they are all the same. A redder version of Shigitatsu Sawa. Should, because of that, it should be called Beni rather than Aka?

Food for thought ;-)

15. Acerholic

Thanks Luke, can I ask for you to come back to the thread at various times throught the next few months and post photos of what you have there, so that everyone can see the differences, if indeed there are differences. And if not, then we should add them to the list as similar or the same as.
    Good posting Luke.

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  16. AlainK

I started an xl file with synonyms, but that's going too far : I give up...

17. Jaybee63

I’d been told in the past that Aka and Beni Shigitatsu were the same and that’s my belief.

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  18. Luke’s Maples

Yes of course, that is my intention. Just haven’t done it today due to the wind and rain. It really it horrible here in Oxford right now

19. Acerholic

Same here Luke, awful wind...

20. Acerholic

I agree also J. As far as I'm concerned there are two, Shigitatsu Sawa and Aka or Beni Shigitatsu sawa being the other.
    I am more than happy to put this on the #27 list and see if there are any objections or other thoughts.
    Ok with you too Luke, @Luke’s Maples.

21. Acerholic

I've just received a PM about Samurai Shigitatsu Sawa being the same as aka shigitatsu sawa. So I will add it to #27 list.

22. Luke’s Maples

Absolutely fine :-)

23. Acerholic

Thanks Luke, do keep them coming by this thread or PM's as a lot are doing.

24. Luke’s Maples

Here are pics of mine (whatever they are) lol

to the left of the photo (just out of shot is another Aka. It only just started to leaf out and I have to say it looks greener. I’m gona get it in the sun for a bit, if there is any on it’s way lol, and see what happens.

Left to right - Aka Shigitatsu Sawa, Beni Shigitatsu Sawa and the infamous ‘Hime Shojo’ that I decided last year, in all my wisdom (lol) to call Gold Reticulated.

They all look exactly the same,

Worth noting: Hippo do have them both for sale. You can order an Aka or a Beni. If anyone has a decent relationship with those guys it might be worth a phone call. Unless you dare me to question ‘the mostly highly regarded nursery in the UK’ lol?

After everything I’ve Ben through over the last however months, I think it a challenge I’d be not only willing, but excited about taking on.

What are your thoughts?

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  25. Acerholic

Nice photos Luke, but I think a few more weeks needed to tell the differences. I do find that the reticulates look so similar to each other early in the Spring, but then get their distinctive colours and markings around June time. Not saying your not correct at all, but a little more time needed on this one.