What's the weather like ?...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Jul 28, 2020.

1. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Everybody take cover again tonight , yet all my little guys came out today and have gone back in again tonight , they have even less room now did all my hanging baskets troughs etc etc today and they are all in there as well now. So cold again this evening it's unreal. The rain last evening was a god send , all the ground guys got a good drink :)

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Same here M, but due to some rain I won't be spraying before bed.
    They say 2°C here and my fingers and toes are tightly crossed. Good luck to you up there tonight.

3. Acerholic

M @ROEBUK was right, here it comes again. -1°C here for me tonight. So under cover all my pots go again and late night and early morning spraying. Really thought this had ended. Urghhh!!!!!!!

4. ROEBUK

Couldn't be bothered to take anything out this morning to be honest , just had a look in the workshop then went shopping to Morrisons . Their Acers have finally arrived and what a disappointment these are , if you like Atropurpureums your in luck, around 30 all in 8ltr pots at around 3ft in height. That's it !!! very poor they usually have a good selection now whether they cut back on ordering after last years covid shut down when they were practically giving them away i don't know ?? Will keep an eye open every week see what comes into the store.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  5. Acerholic

You have a dry northern humour M. Gave me a smile as I sit here shaking and freezing cold from my second jab today.
    My wife had to spray my trees for me just now, bless her.

Good luck tonight.

6. ROEBUK

You have to have humour with this weather , all the trees are just sitting there drooping leaves just begging for some warm weather to bring life into them !! Mind you have just seen the weather forecast for next week , seriously start of May rubbish.By the time we get any sun and warmth the leaves will be ready for dropping again at this rate!! This is my 23rd year with maples and this is by far the worst spring ever.

7. Acerholic

I think it's the same the world over after listening to Charlie on YouTube earlier. But I do agree this is without doubt the worst Spring for maples in the 43 years I've been growing them.
    It can only get better, we hope !!?

8. Acerholic

If anyone is going to post a photo of themselves with their maples for @emery, then please have a look at this thread. @AlainK started the ball rolling with the first photo.
    Appreciation: - Members and their maples
    I've created it so as not lose them on the big threads. I do hope everyone joins in. It is great to actually see and picture each other from all over the world when chatting on the forum.

9. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I don't want to make you jealous D, but we had a few mm rain yesterday, and it was 7°C in my garden this morning. Probably around 15 this afternoon, sunny patches and occasional showers of rain.

And I had my first jab as you call it half an hour ago. So far, no thrombosis... ;-)

10. Acerholic

First of all I'm so jealous, another frost here tonight. Urghhh!!!
    So glad you have had your jab, as it's your first and we are both vintage 1955, can I suggest some paracetamol throughout the day Alain. I didn't with my first and it hit me hard later in the day that I had it. Our friends did take paracetamol and they were fine.

Luke’s Maples likes this.
  11. AlainK

I had some one hour before getting the vaccine, and I'll take another one at 5, before going for a drink (just a wee one, must be back at 7, and I drive) at a friend's place...

Shin-Deshojo and Luke’s Maples like this.
  12. Acerholic

Well I don't know about anyone else in the UK, but I got hit hard last night with the frosts. The roof and cars were a total white out this morning. Definatly the worst I could have imagined for the 1st of May.
    Even with spraying 3 times overnight I don't think I've been too successful this time. 'What a Spring'.
    Our forecast has just said more of the same tonight and on Monday heavy rain and 42mph winds. What fun !!!

13. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Well, that is just plain discouraging; hard to believe. Your positive attitude is commendable but I hope you won't be tested like this much longer.

14. Acerholic

Thanks Margot, but I think I will tbh. Definatly the hardest Spring my maples have ever had to endure.
    I'm very interested to here what the scientists say about this weather. I know last year that some were saying that the lack of pollution due to lockdowns made a massive difference in allowing more ultra violet rays to penetrate during the Summer. So does pollution give us protection against these frosts ?? I wonder !!

15. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Derek, I reckon when your Betula get to a certain size, they will provide a lot of protection to your trees and it will make a big difference.

16. AlainK

Statistics : here, March was the hottest month ever, April the coldest in 20 years....

17. Acerholic

I really hope so J. How was it for you this morning?

18. Acerholic

I've just had a weather alert for Bank Holiday Monday. No more frosts. Lol.
    IMG_20210501_100041201.jpg

Shin-Deshojo and AlainK like this.
  19. Acerholic

Just what we wanted for our maples. All leafing out in March and then Wham !!!

AlainK likes this.
  20. ROEBUK

Well just watched the long range forecast last night, that was depressing!!!
    So April recorded the coldest night time temps for the whole month since 1921 100 year record broken!! then the frostiest month for 60 years record again broken!! Well that was a fun month that was.

So my checklist for this evening reads as follows : Maples and spring bedding plants back into workshop check , Central heating on check , Gas fire on check , Electric blankets on check . Can't wait for Monday torrential rain and gale force winds , Happy days :(:(

21. Acerholic

But on the bright side M, it's definatly not going to be drying winds, lol.

22. Acerholic

23. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Haven't checked in here in a bit, sounds as if we're all still suffering along. We've had none of the rain Alain got, and several freezes including this morning, but minor, still enough to damage young shoots. It is dust dry. Some rain forecast for tomorrow night & Tues morning, but of course with high winds. The last wind episode left a lot of young leaves and shoots on the ground, this will be the same I expect.

The garden looks pretty from a distance, anyway! :) -E

24. ROEBUK

Just been outside checking all the trees , came back in after 20 minutes couldn't feel my fingers it's bitter cold in the north of England at present plus we have a sneaky wind starting to arrive for tomorrow , it's to be hoped we start getting some warmer weather soon because the trees are looking very sorry for themselves at the moment. Didn't bother taking the trees out again today , cant see the point to be honest (strong winds tomorrow) think they will be staying there until next week !!

25. Acerholic

15th of May I think M.