Camellia Sasanqua Chansonnette

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by JennyLC, Apr 7, 2021.

Tags:
  1. JennyLC

JennyLC New Member

Hello, does anyone know where I can buy Camellia Sasanqua Chansonnette, or any type of cascading/creeping camellia as ground cover? I live in Vancouver, can also do online ordering. There are many US nurseries selling this type of camellia, unfortunately they don’t deliver to Canada. Art’s Nursery in Surrey listed it on their website, but they said they haven’t had it for years. Thank you for your help!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Call or visit local outlets to see if they have any kinds in stock with the desired habit. Do this soon because down here the camellia supply at retailers has already sold down markedly until next time around, due to these being in flower in fall and spring. And sales of nursery goods in general being brisk during the pandemic - presumably the same situation is in effect up there.

3. JennyLC

JennyLC New Member

Thank you Ron! I will try to visit more nurseries. If you have any outlet to recommend, please let me know. Really appreciate your help-:)

4. Ron B

Monrovia website shows multiple different Vancouver area retailers buying from them when searched. And it shows your camellia as currently available - they have a system where (in addition to them selling to retailers) you pay retail to them (Monrovia) directly and then your purchase gets dropped off at a Monrovia customer of your choice.

Chansonette Camellia (monrovia.com)

5. JennyLC

JennyLC New Member

Thank you Ron B for the great information! Really appreciate your help!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2021
  6. JennyLC

JennyLC New Member

Hi Ron, I’m so sorry I’m back to ask you one more question: did you see the item is available for Canadians to buy? I couldn’t order through Monrovia online: when I use a California zip code, the “buy online” link shows up immediately, however if I put a Vancouver post code or let the website search my location automatically, there’s no link at all. I called a couple of local retailers listed on their website, they don’t have it. The inventory of most nurseries is impacted by the pandemic situation unfortunately.

Thank you again for all the information you provided. Really appreciate your help, Ron!

7. Ron B

When I chose Vancouver on their site I got a map showing multiple different Monrovia customers. However that (who buys from them) is as far as Monrovia goes with this information system - they do not report to site users which of their customers have ordered specific items. And certainly do not indicate which of their customers still have these items in stock at any given time.

I suggest looking at which Monrovia supplied camellias are described on their site as having features you want and then calling retailers known to buy from them to see if any of those varieties are still around this year. Because as I mentioned above as early in the spring as it seems the camellia season - as it exists at garden centers - is already pretty much over. With current stocks at locations I frequent having sold down markedly in recent weeks.

In addition you are looking for a fall blooming variety - unless you decide on another.

8. JennyLC

JennyLC New Member

Good point! Thank you Ron for your quick reply, very informative always. Thank you again!

9. Keke

Keke Active Member 10 Years

Gardenworks off Holdom in Burnaby had Chansonette earlier this year. Not sure if they still do.

10. JennyLC

JennyLC New Member

Hi Keke,

Thank you for this great information. I’ll call them tomorrow-:)

Really appreciate your help!

11. JennyLC

JennyLC New Member

Just a quick update that I found a Camellia Chansonnette in a Richmond nursery called Garden in Gardens. They also have Marge Miller, another type of ground cover Camellia. Very impressive! I wanted to say thank you to everyone who provided important information to me, especially Ron and Keke! Thank you and keep safe-:)

Keke likes this.