Identification: What kind of plant is this?

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by lidlekitty, Apr 24, 2006.

1. lidlekitty

lidlekitty Member

Hello I have a house plant that I'd like to know more about. Starting with the name, where it comes from, and any growing tips. The plant seems to be really crowded in the pot but I am reluctant to repot until i know more. It sends out all these long roots that climb over the edge of the pot and it also uses the roots to climb the wall. It has been in the same pot for more that a few years.

Attached Files:

2. Dee

Dee Member

It's Monstera deliciosa

3. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

its a split leaf philodendron .. you can repot it with no problems .. those are ariel roots that are hanging out you can just let them go .. ive heard you can cut em or stick em back in the dirt ..ive just let them go .. you can make a couple of plants out that one if you want ... just cut it at the rootball and make sure there is roots on it .. they are prtty hardy plants and they love teh morning sun .

Marn

4. wild-rose-43

wild-rose-43 Active Member

Although it is popularly called a Split Leaf Philodendron the true name for it is Monstera Deliciosa. Repotting isn't a problem. Be aware that this plant can reach heights of 10-15 feet with a spread of 6-8 feet and live for many years. The aerial roots can be trained on a moss covered pole to help in the plant grow upright instead of sprawling everywhere.

5. lidlekitty

lidlekitty Member