electric roto tiller ??

Discussion in 'Soils, Fertilizers and Composting' started by Ricardo007, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Ricardo007

Ricardo007 Member

I have two circular beds that are overgrown with Lily of the Valley.
    Two years ago I manually dug and removed root material to thin the plants.
    Not a pleasant task. Because of occassional back aches, I am wondering if a small electric roto tiller would make the break up task easier to thin out the outer margin.
    Also, I have a 20 by 20 salad garden I would like to use the tiller on for shallow tilling.
    Any comments out there?
    Thank you,
    Ricardo.

2. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi Ricardo,

Sorry to hear about your back. Been there and still am! I'm not sure what you are asking here. Are you saying you want to till in a bed where there are lily of the valley? If so, then you will have ALOT more lily of the valley if you chop up the plants and roots with a tiller.

Tilling can change the tilth (texture) of the soil, but if you can't hand dig, use the tiller. Be sure to add compost and till that in for happier and healthier veggies.

Newt

3. fourd

fourd Active Member 10 Years

As newt said, you could end up with more -- I will say you definantly will end up with more if you do not remove all the roots. Tilling can make it easier to remove the roots but I doubt you'll be able to get them all and still may end up doing some hand digging later.