L. squamigera or A. belladonna

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by fourd, Apr 22, 2006.

1. fourd

fourd Active Member 10 Years

I pick up some Ameryllis belladonna bulbs from someone in Calif. But now I'm questioning if they are not really Lycoris squamigera. What is the identifying differences between Lycoris squamigera and Ameryllis belladonna?

Was thinking that L squamigera has seasonal growth differances (the bulbs I received are in a dormant state). Was thinking that A. belladonna should be finishing up growth while the L. squamigera should be in growth ... but I really don't know if that can be any indicator??? Know one is hardy and one is not (could test in that if it dies it is not Ameryllis but that may be drastic). Understand L. squamigera produce infertal seeds so may be able to use that ... but just have bulbs so been pulling my hair out over this. Surely there are some clear identifying differences in bulbs ... growth, flower ... but when I look at pictures, they look the same to me. I'm baffled -- can some one tell me what the clues are? Ron?

2. Ginger Blue

Ginger Blue Active Member

What do you have right now? Is your bulb still bare or does it have leaves coming up?

Lycoris leaves are a dark grayish green exactly like daffodils. Any Amaryllis that I've grown has always been more of a fresh grass green.

What makes you think it's Lycoris and not Amaryllis as your source said it is?

3. Weedbender

Weedbender Active Member 10 Years

This is a pic of my L. Squamigera that was taken yesterday.
    You'll see daffodil leaves in the upper right hand corner.

Attached Files:

4. fourd

They are dorment so I have no growth yet to examine. And is part of my concern because I may want to keep them dry untill follage apears??? Anyway, by grey, I believe you are talking of the substance on the leaves that can be rubed off? Know there is some technical name for it --somebody? But anyway, guessing A. belladonna leaves lack this and so are glossy looking resembling the Hippeastrum leaves?

5. fourd

Why? Well first, and best I can describe, is my Amaryllidaceae taxonomy ignorance. I just haven’t paid close attention to defining details … so I guess the first reason is I just want to be a little less ignorant.

Second, I have seen Lycoris squamigera advertised as Belladonna lily, Hardy Amaryllis Belladonna, and Amaryllis Belladonna. So naturally I asked seller for clarification, and after discussion and research, they became uncertain weather it was Lycoris squamigera or Amaryllis belladonna. So it wasn’t definitive ID.

Finally I have found I’m not the only one confused. Part, to blame is Amaryllis being used generically for all Amaryllidaceae family. A. belladonna is the only Amaryllis species (although understand another may have been recently added now). And Amaryllis we find at Christmas are actually Hippeastrum … and Hardy Amaryllis as Lycoris … so I’m certain that adds to the confusion. I know a distinguish feature of Amaryllis from a Hippeastrum is it’s sold vice hollow scape … and that leads me to what distinguishes a Licoris from Amaryllis. Now from pictures I can’t pick out any difference – swear sometimes it is even the same picture! I’m wonder that too! But again these pictures are of flower only so don’t know if there is foliage/bulb differences? And pictures can just be misleading (or worse, don’t know how folks did ID with just drawings???) And so at this point the only way I know to tell them apart is hardiness and seed differences (lycoris being a sterile triploid) … and maybe scent. So I’m asking the question here because if anyone knows it is the folks here!

NOTE: this is perhaps a better post for taxonomy so I’ll repost as a slightly different question there, although I not looking for pure technical but rather lay differences … I would like to know the name of new Amaryllis species as well …

6. Ginger Blue

Okay, confession time. I forgot that the usual amaryllis was actually Hippeastrum. I knew, but I forgot. So ignore what I said about the leaves of A. belladonna. I've not grown it. But the Lycoris leaves are very distinctly blue-gray, just like a daffodil (though not resembling in size or shape). I do know that. (Lotta help I am...sorry!)

FWIW, I do see distinct differences in the L. squamigera and the A. belladonna flowers. Probably because I'm so familiar with the Lycoris and this makes the differences more obvious to me. Yes, they're similar, but I think if you get one to bloom, you'll know the ID by comparing the flower. Lycoris flowers have more separation at the petal base (less overlap), creating a more "spidery" or "sloppy" flower. Also, the Lycoris stamens extend beyond the corolla.

7. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

My Amaryllis belladonna have been in leaf here in USDA 8 for some months, will dry up as spring advances, with the next development being the emergence of the 'naked' flowering stems in late summer. Lycoris squamigera, while broader of petal than most other familiar cultivated species in the genus, and colored pink, remains distinctly different in flowering appearance than the Amaryllis.

Another plant that has been on the general market is xAmarygia (xCrinodonna). So far I haven't been successful with it, but have had it long enough (and seen enough of it elsewhere) to get the impression it inherits the Crinum parent's tendency to be in leaf during summer, instead of winter.

8. fourd

OK tell me if I pass the test! I took a look and examined many pictures (and am I now feel foolish I didn't notice). A. belladonna does seem to have more overlap as in three well formed inner and three well formed outer petals … symmetrical … and stamens look within corolla. And then looking at L. sequamigera it is not symmetrical at all, and not so well formed, sometimes seven petals (never noticed that before) with much more separation as to not see inner/outer petals ... and stamens clearly beyond the corolla! Thanks a bunch!!!!! Now to see I pass the test, I came across this picture of Lycoris http://www.dutchbulbs.com/fall/z33359.20423.html?VB041118 but I’m IDing them as being belladonnas … am I right???

And Ron thanks ... that thought has crossed my mind

9. Ron B

Yes: I would say their photo shows Amaryllis.

10. fourd

Thanks you Ron -- I figure maybe in another 150 years I might be almost as good as ID as you are! If there was an award for UBCB Forums Most Helpfull -- you'd be the sure thing! And much thanks again to ginger blue!

11. Ginger Blue

fourd, have you noticed in that link they're a bit confused about more than the picture? They say to protect if temps fall into the 20's. And then they say it's hardy to zone 5. Sounds like they're combining info on two bulbs!

12. fourd

What they don't tell you is Lycoris is hardy to zone 6-7 if planted 6" deep and Zone 5 if aditional mulch protection is provided. I have no idea where the 20's comes but don't think they are combining as that is too cold for A. belladonna! But there is inconsistancies of these two everywhere out there! Was looking at plant of the week for Aug 2004 which is Amaryllis belladonna http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week272.shtml ... but picture is a Lycoris? And it says zone 7? don't think so! Yea, all this disinformation just adds confusion ... added to mine ... I feel bad anyone trying to sort all this out as at least I can come here to get it right!

13. Ron B

The Amaryllis, while not as hardy as the other will come through 20F. In fact, mine here were in leaf during a recent late winter cold spell that had local gardeners reporting temps in the teens.

14. fourd

Well I probably have to that that back ... but I do think they are challanged with those temps! I have seen plants hardy to 5-10 survive -25 so some amount of deviation certainly exists. I also may have made another error in a statement made earlier -- I'll double check that and correct if needed.