Unidentified seedlings

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Apr 4, 2021.

1. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

That would be pretty cool if it was collected with or from the same area as the Korean maple. But im not that lucky.

2. LoverOfMaples

These are 2nd year seedlings. Maybe some are matsumurae like but most looked pretty dissected to be so. One thing for sure they can't all resemble the dissectum side of the family. Ill keep you updated how the progress.

Here is a better pic of one
    16192147885299082664854094755580.jpg

Another thats just leafing out
    16192148513787516320356847110927.jpg

One more
    16192150958701913449306332484009.jpg

Attached Files:

dicky5ash, AlainK and Acerholic like this.
  3. Nik

Nik Contributor

They are tiny for 2nd year seedlings. Yes, some of these look dissectum. Still, keep the tray for one more year. Just a suggestion..

4. LoverOfMaples

These most likely will be potted up this fall. Whatever haven't germinated will go in the compost or spread over the flower beds. I've been germinating seeds for a while now, I'm no pro, but my luck is really good with most. I have way more than enough seedlings to tend to (that tray is just one of 6 with dissectum seeds it).

5. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

Pulled a few seeds from my 'Seiryu' last fall and almost every one came forth.
    About half of these are showing dissectum traits with first leaves.
    DSCN5128.jpeg DSCN5121.jpeg
    Being completely inexperienced and doubtful I put all the seeds in a small 2.5" wide pot.
    Drifting off topic, when and how to separate?

6. LoverOfMaples

Hey @wind-borne. Me personally wouldn't describe (separate) them until late fall or late winter/early spring (2022) depending on how much growth they put on by then. The growing season is pretty short here in the NE. It take seedlings about 2 to 3 years to get going for me. I hear things grow very well over on the west coast.

wind-borne likes this.
  7. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I'd say early spring 2022, just before budbreak, and kept in a frost-free area of course.

wind-borne likes this.
  8. wind-borne

wind-borne Contributor

Thanks for recommendations.
    I foresee a problem if a slug happens upon the tender growth, all lost in one swoop.
    Spring and rain bring on a slug festival.
    In the future will spread among a few pots.

9. kgeezy20

kgeezy20 Active Member Maple Society

One of these is pseudosieboldianum and the other is japonicum. Would appreciate thoughts on which is which.

kyle

16FCC759-B490-43A0-BCB7-83D91B90F7CB.jpeg CF299D7B-502D-4351-BDA8-628917E581CB.jpeg

Nik likes this.
  10. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning Kyle, I see you put this on last night and have had no answers yet, so here is my opinion. Photo 1 is the pseudosieboldianum. My reasons are that it has 9 lobes already and this is a feature of this Korean maple.
    I have nothing more to go on but that at this stage of it's development.
    Emery might give you a more definitive answer, but that's my thought, for what it's worth.
    As a footnote, I do hope you post this one as it develops over time, I'm very interested to see how it goes.
    D

kgeezy20 likes this.
  11. dicky5ash

dicky5ash Generous Contributor

Tricky to tell at this stage.. I would expect shorter lobes..here’s a photo of pseudosieboldianum I took in October. The tips seem similar in photo 2 to me..

Attached Files:

12. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I think they're both hybrids.

A. pseudosieboldianum is really hard to ID, when compared to sieboldianum, even by experts. There is certainly a lot of variation concerning how deeply lobed they are, too.

13. dicky5ash

Actually I think my photo is sieboldianum..my mistake

14. kgeezy20

kgeezy20 Active Member Maple Society

They both came from the MS seed exchange 2019. I’m excited to watch them grow, regardless.

emery and Acerholic like this.
  15. Acerholic

EXACTLY! Kyle, I couldn't agree more.

16. dicky5ash

Here are some of my babies that I have found in pots.. 1 year olds and 2 year olds I really hope the first one grows out..it had lovely autumn colour..

I have several last season match sticks that do t look like they made it through Winter..the buds don’t look viable, although the stems have colour..I will carry on watering and see if a miracle emerges!

Attached Files:

Nik and Acerholic like this.
  17. dicky5ash

@AlainK I wonder, did you have any luck at all germinating any of those seeds I sent you ?

18. Acerholic

Seedling no5 looks a bit special R.

19. dicky5ash

Thanks D..yes I like the leaf shape and deep colour on that one..that one is 2years old about 7” tall and has 6 or seven leaves on it..

20. AlainK

No sign of waking up yet. I put some of them directly outside, I'll have a look later...

dicky5ash likes this.
  21. AlainK

I "warm stratified" them for about 45 days (indoors, 20° or so 24/7), then put them outside, with plastic mesh on the trays so the blackbirds don't ruin the whole thing. I just spotted two Vitifolium beginning to show (red arrows), the red X is a weed. Nothing in the other trays :

sem2021-vitifolium_210427a.jpg

PS : the mix in which I put the seeds is much finer, I just added a coarser mix on top so that the soil wouldn't escape when it rains or when I have to water them.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
    LoverOfMaples, dicky5ash and emery like this.
  22. AlainK

I cold stratified most of my seeds at the beginning of January. When the weather got warm, in late March, I put them outside, in their bags, and didn't bring them inside when we had some frost. I've just checked, and some of them are beginning to sprout : davidii, pectinatum, caudatifolium (can't remember the new accepted name), rubrum and a couple ogf others among which some sent by @dicky5ash and labelled #10 :

sem2021-DickySash10_210427a.jpg

I put some of those that had developped cotyledons in individual pots or bags, and put the rest in rectangular pots :

sem2021_210427a.jpg sem2021_210427b.jpg

PS : I'm always looking for small pots when the seeds come out, this year I bought these biodegradable bags, 500 for 9.99 € at "Shopix". Apparently they're out of stock now, but 500 should be enough for this year... ;°).

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  23. AlainK

The plants in my previous message were clearly identified, but you never know what you get when you reproduce maples from seeds - I've just read @Nik's message and seen his very nice Acer truncatum x platanoides.

This palmatum (amoenum?) is a "true unidentified" one. I never seem to be able to catch its true colours on photo, but here's one I took this afternoon, with 'Emerald Lace' in the background :

acerp-div-004_210427a.jpg

Other photos I've just taken, with other maples to compare. The true colour is slightly more orange :

acerp-div-004_210427b.jpg acerp-div-004_210427c.jpg

LoverOfMaples, Nik, dicky5ash and 3 others like this.
  24. Acerholic

You did brilliantly this time Alain, you captured the colour perfectly. And it doesn't matter if it has no ID, it's a 100% keeper. I love it.

25. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Very pretty little A. amoenum Alain! I seem to get a lot fewer of those than palmatum-type, even off of amoenum parents.

I have some nice seed up, of course always unidentified until it gets bigger. There are some onsesies and twosies around also, like a few forrestii coming up from 2 years ago,

These A. diabolicum are from 2 years ago, so gone through a stratification in the fridge, a summer, then a winter outside. They're certainly Sec. Lithocarpa, and so I think they're likely to be true.
    IMG_20210427_192459_v1.jpg

These are seed from last fall, from A. sinense 'Rogow' here, and A. pentaphyllum near Madrid. The sinense may be largely hybrids, we'll see. I'm not entirely convinced 'Rogow' is not already a hybrid. Glad to have more pentaphyllum to expand the grove!

IMG_20210427_192531_v1.jpg IMG_20210427_192539_v1.jpg

These are meant to be A. metcalfii, we'll see. Can't remember the source without looking at the label...

IMG_20210427_192551_v1.jpg

I didn't take a picture of the granatense batch, they are looking a bit sad right now, maybe not enjoying the cold mornings much.

-E

P.S. The 'Emerald Lace' looks great, I have two new ones here to eventually make a massed planting, but the buds are still tightly closed! From different sources, but on the same schedule.

LoverOfMaples, Acerholic, Nik and 3 others like this.