Diffenbachia | Doing Amazing yet not so great

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Oliver - HappyGrün, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Oliver - HappyGrün

Oliver - HappyGrün Member

Hello Everyone,
    So I decided to become more active in this forum since we are a Vancouver business, and it is always great to meet and engage with fellow plant people. Who knows, maybe I will even make some friends in the process.

My challenge today is about a 30+ year-old . We repotted the plant 6 months ago, in our hybrid platers. The plant is doing well and seems happier than ever before. It started to flower for the first time, and there are lots of new shoots at the bottom. However, today I noticed quite a few leaves, which turned yellow and drooping. Interestingly enough, it seems to be only one of the flowering stalks.

I cut the flowers to give the plant more energy, added more water to the water reservoir, and misted the plant.

Any other suggestions of what I can do?

Thanks
    Oliver

PS: We are looking to rent 2000 sq/ft greenhouse space in Vancouver, Richmond, or Burnaby.

Attached Files:

2. Tom Hulse

Tom Hulse Active Member 10 Years

Hello Oliver, I'm glad you will become more active in the forum. :)
    From what you say, it seems like this may be it's first hot summer in semi-hydro with Hydroton balls. Is that correct? Was it grown in soil in previous years? I have noticed a pattern where Hydroton can seem to support large plants just fine, for awhile, but when really tested by the hottest days of summer they can slowly start to lag behind, and refuse to support as many leaves, as they are just not able to maintain as good of a root system as they can in soil.
    Also, a plant that size requires a considerable amount of nutrients, and would have to get them all, including balanced micronutrients, from your fertilizer regime. Can I ask what you are using and how much/ how often?

3. Oliver - HappyGrün

Oliver - HappyGrün Member

Hi Tom,
    I was so determined to be more active in this forum since I really like it.... Anyhow, the Dieffenbachia is doing great, I think the transition from soil to hydroponic was rough at first, but she is doing now better than ever. I will take some pics next time I am at their office. :)

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Welcome back, @Oliver - HappyGrün. It's nice to know we weren't forgotten, and we'll look forward to seeing your pics.