Appreciation: Some colour at VanDusen Botanical Garden

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by wcutler, Feb 21, 2021.

1. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I didn't find good examples of buds I was looking for at VanDusen yesterday, but I found some colour instead.
    People have been posting Hamamelis for a while. Here is Hamamelis mollis.
    Hamamelis-mollis_VanDusen_Cutler_20210219_135356.jpg Hamamelis-mollis_VanDusen_Cutler_20210219_135520.jpg Hamamelis-mollis_VanDusen_Cutler_20210219_135550.jpg

This is Hamamelis japonica 'Sulphurea'. Paler flowers, and smaller, I think.
    Hamamelis-japonicaSulphurea_VanDusen_Cutler_20210219_142319.jpg Hamamelis-japonicaSulphurea_VanDusen_Cutler_20210219_142207.jpg
    Hamamelis-japonicaSulphurea_VanDusen_Cutler_20210219_142330.jpg Hamamelis-japonicaSulphurea_VanDusen_Cutler_20210219_142345.jpg Hamamelis-japonicaSulphurea_VanDusen_Cutler_20210219_142406.jpg

This one had no tag. I asked a master gardener (I was given an email address, am not certain that she's a VanDusen volunteer, but I think so), who thinks it's Hamamelis mollis 'Wisley Supreme', which is listed on the database as being in the nursery but accessioned in 2014. She said she knows it's in the garden, so maybe this is it. The Hamamelis mollis 'Wisley Supreme' - Plant Finder (missouribotanicalgarden.org) page says larger flowers than the species, and sweetly scented, not something I noticed (but I do still have a sense of smell).
    Hamamelis-VanDusen_Cutler_20210219_144626.jpg Hamamelis-VanDusen_Cutler_20210219_144718.jpg Hamamelis-VanDusen_Cutler_20210219_144731.jpg Hamamelis-VanDusen_Cutler_20210219_144816.jpg

I didn't promise all flowers. Here's more yellow - Cornus sericea 'Flaviramea', golden-twig dogwood, also called Cornus stolonifera 'Flaviramea'.
    Cornus-sericeaFlaviramea _VanDusen_Cutler_20210219_144156.jpg Cornus-sericeaFlaviramea _VanDusen_Cutler_20210219_144445.jpg

And here is such a beautiful Pieris japonica, noted on the label as unknown cultivar.
    PIeris-japonica-UnknownCultivar_VanDusen_Cutler_20210219_141458.jpg PIeris-japonica-UnknownCultivar_VanDusen_Cutler_20210219_141508.jpg PIeris-japonica-UnknownCultivar_VanDusen_Cutler_20210219_141520.jpg PIeris-japonica-UnknownCultivar_VanDusen_Cutler_20210219_141542.jpg

Acerholic and Margot like this.
  2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

What a display, Wendy! I can't believe that Pieris japonica is starting to bloom already.

It's been so long now since I last visited VanDusen Gardens - or UBC for that matter and, much as I enjoy living on Vancouver Island for many reasons, I really miss the opportunity to see what you do on the Mainland and to have access to all the wonderful garden centres and other garden-related venues there. Just feeling a bit nostalgic I guess.

wcutler likes this.
  3. wcutler

4. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Wendy - I wonder if that Pieris japonica is “valentine”

It was very popular in the later 1990s —-
    I will have to look it up

PS the yellow twig cornus are a design dream aren’t they

my arctic fire cornus is very red twig right now - the label says it’s a smallish shrub but mine nr Vanc Coast are 7feet height.

5. Georgia Strait

6. wcutler

The one at VanDusen looks more upright or taller than the photos on the page you linked to, but 'Valley Valentine' certainly looks like a good choice for a Pieris with that coloured flowers.
    I saw new plantings of something like that yesterday, just a few bare twigs that looked very attractive.

7. Georgia Strait

wcutler

Hello Wendy (and note new pic of home grown “oriental type lily” summer 2020)

Van Dusen is amazing - I enjoyed that garden show slogging around in the muddy lawns (no doubt head gardener cringe!)

And of course the Christmas lights

In any event - the trivia I like is —
    1. Isn’t Van Dusen built upon a huge concrete water reservoir ?
    2. And of course it was a golf course (or a good walk thru a potential fabulous garden as golf may be — no offense, I like golf)

8. wcutler

9. Georgia Strait

10. Georgia Strait

wcutler likes this.
  11. StevenS

StevenS Active Member

Colours of spring at VanDusen (April 17, 2021). I don't know the name of the small purple and blue flowers. D @Acerholic directed me here.
    Tulips-3669_r.jpg

12. StevenS

StevenS Active Member

Water lily at VanDusen (June 2020).
    Lily-4345_wc.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  13. StevenS

StevenS Active Member

Flower and Anna's hummingbird at VanDusen (July 2020).
    Flower&Bird-5573_wc.jpg

Acerholic likes this.
  14. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning Steven, all your photos are stunning, but the Water lily just speaks 'calm and relaxation' to us. 'Wonderful' !!

15. StevenS

StevenS Active Member

Good morning D, thank you for your comment. I will have to stay away from VanDusen for the next a few weeks due to BC's new travel restrictions starting Friday.

16. Acerholic

That's a shame Steven, but I'm sure you will find other delights in the botanic world to Wow us all.

StevenS likes this.
  17. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Lovely photos StevenS. The red flower with the hummingbird is monarda. But I am wondering what the little blue and purple flowers are with the Tulips?

18. Acerholic

Good evening Eric, could they be an early Aubretia ? Can't see too well, so it's a bit of a guess.

19. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Forget me nots

20. StevenS

StevenS Active Member

I think you got it. Here's a screen capture of a part of the original image.
    Capture.PNG

21. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

That's what I thought, but the purple ones are redder than I am used to seeing. I was thinking it early for them, but I guess not.