inexplicable rose leaf drop

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by rpaterso, Apr 19, 2021.

Tags:
  1. rpaterso

rpaterso Member

I have a rose aimee vibert growing in pot. For some reason the new leaves are dropping at the slightest touch or light breeze. The leaves are green with no black spot or mildew. And no sign of insect infestation. The soil is most but not saturated. Any suggestions as to why? I did a quick 'google' of the the issue and found overwatering as a potential issue but I've not done that.

2. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Are you able to photo and post some photos here?

Are you in a frosty windy area of the city?

Did you use roof cleaner or other products recently near your plants?

It did get very chilly maybe 10 days ago at nights — after otherwise warm days so I wonder if the leaves got a bit chilled

3. rpaterso

rpaterso Member

See attached. Did not consider the weather; usually when things like this happen I figure it's something I've done :-) ... It can get windy but the patio is somewhat sheltered. No chemicals used nearby as far as I know; also the other roses on the patio are fine. IMG_1947, v1-edit.jpg IMG_1951, v1-edit.jpg
    The leaf in the pot came off with a minimal amt of resistance when I pulled.

4. Georgia Strait

Thank you for pix

So last year this plant in a container was fine?

How long has it been in container pot?

Have you moved the container recently

I am absolutely amazed how dry my coast garden is ... and here it was pouring rain solidly - and cold! - just 10 days ago not to mention the last 5 months!

5. Georgia Strait

PS to prev post - have you fed it anything ?

Food can help or hinder

6. Georgia Strait

I looked up via Google this rose - wow 1828

The nursery I randomly chose fr search results - in southern Oregon Rogue River - says container pots are ok

I have mixed positive outcomes from my attachment to growing in container pots

Then again - I have some roses I dug out at the coast and meant to relocate (and haven’t after 2 yrs) and they do just fine with shady roots and sunny faces

Attached Files:

7. rpaterso

rpaterso Member

We purchased at a plant sale (Horticultural Centre of the Pacific) in 2020 ... so it is not a nursery-quality specimen but I have bought other plants previously from the HCP without incident. The rose was in a pot and I moved it to a larger one; I also pruned it back as per my usual routine when I pot a new rose. It did not grow a lot last year but I didn't give it a whole lot of attention after buying it as we were moving house for much of the spring and early summer ... I gave it a spoonful of rose food around the time when the forsythia comes into flower ... the thing that surprised me is that the rose leafed out quite early ... have had that happen with other roses where that early growth dies back followed by a second flush leaves ... but those leaves didn't drop like this rose.

8. rpaterso

rpaterso Member

... my wife is not keen on roses in pots but in our new house we have no choice as we have no garden only patios. Given what you found it should not be a problem. Perhaps I've over-reacted, best perhaps to wait and see if things improve (or get worse :-( )

9. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

I have just been commenting on the Maples forum 'Whats the weather like', about how dry it is here and the fact we are coming up to two months with no rain and then I saw your post here Georgia. It's not isolated to Europe this dry soil is it !!???