Take a walk on the wild side.....

Discussion in 'How's It Growing?' started by pmurphy, May 29, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

When you go out to walk in the wild area of Hampshire England, at times you come across plants that shouldn't be where they are, 'Volunteers'. So when we saw this Chaenomeles japonica that was covered in bees on this sunny Good Friday morning in our local woodland then I thought it should be added to this thread, as it is not looked after by anything other than nature.
    IMG_20210402_112525136_HDR.jpg IMG_20210402_112540844_HDR.jpg

Nik, Margot and pmurphy like this.
  2. Acerholic

Happy Easter everyone, it was so lovely out walking this morning and when I saw this I thought about what Wendy said that she liked to see where we all are. These wild Prunus cerasifera Cherry plum were over hanging where we climb over a stye going towards our local woods. ( please excuse my hand in the shot).
    IMG_20210404_104145452.jpg IMG_20210404_104200354.jpg

Nik, Georgia Strait and pmurphy like this.
  3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    @Acerholic - Now that I have hijacked cherry scout thread (tho this fawn lily is very close to some of Willard recent pix in Gibsons BC) - if you wish to move this to elsewhere pls do so thank you

And here is photo showing small swath of lilies the other day down north side of a large glacial granite mossy outcrop above the ocean

Attached Files:

Keith Elliott, Nik and Acerholic like this.
  4. Acerholic

Perfect for this thread Georgia.

5. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Thx @Acerholic for sorting me out

Further to above post (distant shot of fawn lilies) - here is a close up of the fawn lily that I posted on Willard’s cherry scout thread for Sunshine Coast of BC

Sunshine Coast/Gulf Islands

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

Your welcome Georgia and I still can't get over the delicate features of this wonderful fawn lily.

7. Acerholic

Good morning, I found this a few minutes ago in the early morning Spring sunshine, Anemone nemorosa. Amongst all the green in the wild woodland nearby, there was just one beautiful white flower. But one was more than enough to put a smile on our faces.
    Anemone nemorosa Woodland anemone 187.JPG

Keith Elliott, Nik and Georgia Strait like this.
  8. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Is Anemone nemorosa a native plant there?

9. Acerholic

Yes it is Margot, although this is the first we have seen today, our woodland in a week or two will be covered in them. I will get a photo especially for you when they are. It's now in my to do list.

10. Acerholic

This year the Prunus spinosa Blackthorn or Sloe is the best for flowers I've seen in years and years. What is that telling us I wonder!!!? But whatever it may mean, I will enjoy the spectacle and the wonderful scent it is giving off atm.
    Blackthorn or Sloe 189.JPG Blackthorn or Sloe 190.JPG

Attached Files:

Nik likes this.
  11. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

Noticed this one at the dog park today, most likely Pacific dogwood (cornus nuttallii). I remember as a child seeing them everywhere in "the woods", now you hardly see them at all...

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

Good afternoon, well, it was a very slow walk through our local woods early this morning, as we wanted to take in the sights and perfume of all the Hyacinthoides non-scripta or Common bluebells.
    They are carpeting the whole woodland it seems.
    So hope you enjoy the photos.
    Also for @StevenS as he wanted to know where to post some of his lovely photos.

And a rare white bluebell, which was my wife's favourite today.
    A swathe of Bluebells in Otterbourne woods 198.JPG Otterbourene woods 198.JPG Bluebells in Otterbourne woods 200.JPG Bluebells in Otterbourne woods 199.JPG Bluebells Anemone and Narcisus in Otterbourne woods 198.JPG Bluebells in Otterbourne woods 198.JPG Rare white Bluebell 198.JPG

Edit 1. Please see Ron's posting #340 for possible ID of the white bluebell.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  13. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Notice that the white one isn't non-scripta - compare its structure with the others shown.

14. Acerholic

What are your thoughts on it's name Ron? It was amongst all the non-scripta.

15. Ron B

It's going to be one of the others - either Spanish or hybrid (x massartiana). The hybrid is prevalent on sites where people have been involved, to the extent that I don't know how many "Spanish" bluebells seen outside of its native area really are that species. (In addition to all the "English" bluebells provided by commercial sources that are obviously incorrect).

In these photos a black pot of non-scripta is shown next to a garden plant (probably Hyacinthoides hispanica). Note the drooping curved stems of non-scripta against the stout upright stem, the thin leaves compared with the broad leaves, the shape of the flowers and the way they hang, and the relative sizes of the plants.

Pacific Bulb Society | Hyacinthoides

wcutler and Georgia Strait like this.
  16. Acerholic

I have just edited my posting for members to see your post about this, as they will find it interesting.

17. StevenS

StevenS Active Member

Creeping Oregon-grape and Anna's hummingbird at VanDusen (April 04, 2021).
    IMG1526_r.jpg.jpg IMG1534_r.jpg.jpg

Georgia Strait, Nik, Margot and 2 others like this.
  18. StevenS

StevenS Active Member

Redflower currant and Anna's hummingbird at Burnaby Lake (April 16, 2021).
    IMG3326_r.jpg

Georgia Strait, Nik, pmurphy and 3 others like this.
  19. Acerholic

Good morning Steven, you are going to be a very welcome contributor to this thread. 'Beautiful' photos. You have also captured the Creeping Oregon-grape doing what it should do in nature.

D

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  20. Acerholic

Our Ribes sanguineum is just coming out here, but sadly doesn't have the wonderful visitors yours does. 'Lovely'.

21. StevenS

StevenS Active Member

Hi D, I feel I have found a good home for my plant photos. Thank you for your guidance.
    Steven

22. StevenS

StevenS Active Member

There is a rufous hummingbird in that area. That's tempting.

23. Acerholic

Look forward to seeing it Steven, if you can capture a photo for the thread. Together with a plant of course !!!

24. Acerholic

A lovely very early walk this morning in our woods, the best IMO before the world wakes up... Sooo very quiet, just you and nature.
    Anyway here are some photos I took of new colour, Lesser celandine Ficaria verna carpeting other parts where the Bluebells haven't taken over.
    Lesser celandine Ficaria verna 199.JPG Lesser celandine Ficaria verna in Otterbourne woods 198.JPG Lesser celandine Ficaria verna 198.JPG

And nature gradually returning once lovely tall trees back to the earth.
    Going back to the ground in Otterbourne woods 197.JPG Rotting tree Otterbourne woods 198.JPG Nature taking back in Otterbourne woods 198.JPG

This can be quite sobering when you stop to actually take it in.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  25. Ron B

Common name creeping Oregon grape is often used for Mahonia repens. So it should be pointed out that your picture shows M. nervosa.