Spring colo(u)rs

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Mar 24, 2021.

1. clorgan

clorgan Member

Thanks D, I'm hoping so... It's a really nice shape. Got it last summer, came in a bonsai pot but it definitely needs some girth!

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Well after seeing C @clorgan lovely trees this morning, I thought it time I had a look at a few of mine to see if there was any damage overnight. But all seems well, so here are six that looked colourful in the bright sunshine a few minutes ago.
    Momoiro koyasan 191.JPG Ueno yama 191.JPG Sunset 191.JPG Mr Sun 191.JPG Kotohime 191.JPG Reticulatum como 191.JPG
    They are, Momoiro Koyasan, Ueno yama, Sunset, Mr Sun, Kotohime and Reticulatum Como.

LorenzoDec, Nik, ROEBUK and 6 others like this.
  3. Acerholic

Another very bright morning today here in Southern England, not a cloud in sight and so some of my maples for this thread to get the weekend going. They are Mon Papa, Osakasuki, Mikawa Yatsabusa, Wilson's pink dwarf and Ornatum.
    Have a lovely weekend everybody..
    Mon Papa 193.JPG Osakasuki 194.JPG Mikawa Yatsubusa 193.JPG Wilsons pink dwarf 193.JPG Ornatum 194.JPG

LorenzoDec, Nik, ROEBUK and 5 others like this.
  4. Shin-Deshojo

Shin-Deshojo Well-Known Member

Ornatum is one of the most beautiful dissectum ever imo.
    Have a good weekend D.

5. Acerholic

I think we all love Ornatum I. The Portland Japanese garden specimen on YouTube in the Autumn is the ultimate in beauty. Hope you've seen this video!!? If not then make sure you do. Music is good that accompanies it, isn't too shabby either. Very relaxing !!
    Have a lovely weekend yourself I.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  6. Shin-Deshojo

No i haven't seen D, but i think i know which tree you are talking about.
    I didn't knew it was an Ornatum.
    I will check the video.

7. Acerholic

You will love it I. When those leaves fall in slow motion at the end it's just 'maple poetry in motion' IMO. If you like the music, it's by Giovani Maradi 'Shadows'.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  8. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

Good afternoon. Spring is finally here and my trees are starting to leaf out. Pictures of Aconitifolium, Jerre Schwartz, Pixie, Azuma murasaki, Ojishi, Orange dream, Mikawa yatsabutsa, Shishigashira, Ruysen and Kamagata.

Attached Files:

LorenzoDec, Nik, ROEBUK and 7 others like this.
  9. Acerholic

Good afternoon to you M, it has indeed arrived there in the Netherlands. A lovely leafing out time for you. That Ojishi is going to have a lot of interest here, I like it a lot. Fantastic shape and colours.

Fijn weekend M.you Hope I got that right !!?

10. Acerholic

My wife and I are out walking atm, so as these seedlings are springing up everywhere and never really get a look in on the forum, I'm thinking, let's post a photo. It is Acer pseudoplatanus Sycamore.
    OK, i'ts not up there with the most colourful, but it is an Acer.
    IMG_20210417_110425277.jpg

Nik, emery and Shin-Deshojo like this.
  11. MapleMO

MapleMO Contributor 10 Years

Spoken like a true Dutchman D! Yes the Oijishi is getting better each year and is showing its orange spring color unlike its female counterpart. Unfortunately Pixie has some dead branches and I had to cut it back. I hope its nothing serious, I would hate to lose it. Have a great weekend.

LorenzoDec likes this.
  12. Acerholic

I have found that Pixie is prone to this M. One of those that needs a bit of tidying every year. Hopefully yours will be fine, I'm sure it will be.

MapleMO likes this.
  13. Acerholic

Good morning everyone, I was in my garden having a cup of coffee and yes even though it was 0°C, I was going to do this and say to heck with this weather.
    So anyway, I thought I would post these two photos I took of my Dr Brown, as it caught my eye, saying to me, " Am I not the best dissectum you have", lol. I did have to agree btw !!!
    Dr Brown 196.JPG Dr Brown 197.JPG

LorenzoDec, Nik, ROEBUK and 3 others like this.
  14. Acerholic

It's now what we call in the UK as, 'Elevenses', so for me that is coffee and shortbread time. And at this time of the year that means sat in a part of my garden that gets a lot of morning sun. So whilst I'm here, enjoying my sunshine with my trees , here are 4 that are also taking in the rays.
    They are Skeeters Broom, Jordan, Orange Dream and a slow to leaf out Reticulatum.
    Skeeters Broom 195.JPG Jordan 195.JPG Orange Dream 195.JPG Reticulatum 195.JPG

LorenzoDec, Nik, ROEBUK and 4 others like this.
  15. Shin-Deshojo

Best moment of the day is sitting under the sun in the garden with coffee and all maples around you D, enjoy it.

clorgan and Acerholic like this.
  16. Acerholic

Thankyou I, hope your enjoying a lovely sunny Sunday as well.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  17. Shin-Deshojo

Yes i do, I am about to go in the garden and see if i can plant some maples in the ground or at least sort them out and find futur spots.

18. Acerholic

The weather looks good now for that, hopefully the soil will start to get warmer for those roots to flourish. Happy gardening I.

Shin-Deshojo and clorgan like this.
  19. clorgan

clorgan Member

20. clorgan

clorgan Member

I've just spent the most lovely hour in the garden just observing the changes in plants/trees. Really enjoying watching the leaves slowly emerge on the atropurpureum (I think that's what it is). And seems to have escaped frost damage completely.

I do quite like the base on this one too, apart from that one small root crossing the large one on the right!

Attached Files:

LorenzoDec, Nik, ROEBUK and 4 others like this.
  21. Acerholic

Same here C, it is so important to do just that. Glad you've escaped the frosts. Re Atropurpureum, this is an oldie but a goodie. Give it some sun and it will reward you all season long.
    Have a lovely Sunday.

clorgan likes this.
  22. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Things are heating up here...

Ruslyn, Moonfire, Mikawa, Oridino Nishiki, Kagiri Nishiki, Sango, Grandma Ghost, Peaches, Baldsmith, Mikazuki, Butterfly, Shin Deshojo

Attached Files:

LorenzoDec, Nik, ROEBUK and 7 others like this.
  23. Acerholic

Good morning J, an explosion of colours and they are looking so healthy, going to be a good season!!

24. Acerholic

Well everybody, it is looking promising that the frosts are over. So as the sun is shining right now I thought some greens were the order of the day. We find this colour so relaxing in our garden, something that has been even more important over the last year.
    Ukon 197.JPG Green dissectum 199.JPG Emerald lace 197.JPG Fairy lights197.JPG Green dissectum 198.JPG

LorenzoDec, Nik, ROEBUK and 3 others like this.
  25. Shin-Deshojo

Agree about the greens D,
    My koto no ito is leafing out and that particular pale green is lovely.
    Also looking forward for the green dissectums to show up as they are always beautiful in spring (if not burnt by the frost lol).