Camellias still moist

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Gardenlove, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Gardenlove

Gardenlove New Member

Hello wish to ask i have both my camellias still moist after watering them nearly 15 days ago!! They are situated in internal yard no sun or drafts/wind....you think i can water them or no becauce one of them is opening flowers!! Any help pls??

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

If definitely quite moist all the way through the root mass then wait on the watering. And if the planting site is retaining water - as in the shrubs are found to be sitting in or near puddling of water - then changes will have to be made.

3. Gardenlove

Gardenlove New Member

They are potted not in land!! Also both of them were flowering about 3 or 4 flowers than stopped imediately! And began getting brownish! Maybe still settling in becauce only 2 months are in these place..

4. Gardenlove

Gardenlove New Member

hello im posting here my 2 camellias that had few flowers but stopped now with half open blooms..they were bought 2 months ago and repotted as soon as brought them home..also they were potted in their proper soil from garden nursery..im concerned also that the soil is still moist watered 15 days ago..will i water or not..??

also any help for flowers not opening..they are getting new leaves as well!! also note i didnt fertilize and didnt mix any soil...here photos posted.

also note the plants both healthy..no insects etc..maybe need time to settle and maybe still young??
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

also note the plants both healthy..no insects etc..maybe need time to settle and maybe still young??

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2021
  5. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

OK @Gardenlove, what I am seeing are pots that appear to have no drainage. So water will stay and cause rotting of the roots. You said in your first post that the compost is staying wet, so this will be the cause.
    You need to give your Camelias a good free draining compost/soil and then ensure it can drain out of the bottom quite freely. This is often not done as people do not want water draining all over their floors. But it has to be done to save your plants. Even a saucer under the pot can cause water to collect and so the compost stays very wet.
    Do not water unless the soil feels dry, too many plants are killed by over watering rather than under watering.

6. Gardenlove

Gardenlove New Member

No they have holes underneath and no saucers are used..

7. Gardenlove

Gardenlove New Member

Also note the compost is acidec properly for them bought from garden centre..and yes they have holes underneath and no saucers underneath just used upside down..thanks

8. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Perhaps the problem is low light levels. The need for moisture is reduced when the plant is not photosynthesizing.

9. Acerholic

The only other thing to suggest is what Jungle keeper has mentioned, no light !!
    But even over here where I live, the Camelias that are in the ground are starting to lose their flowers now in the middle of April. These go brown at the edges and then drop. So you maybe experiencing the natural cycle. But you must not over water,and only do so when the soil feels quite dry.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  10. Gardenlove

Gardenlove New Member

Thanks againn..so maybe expect better blooms and flowers next year

11. Acerholic

I would think so, and they would have settled in by then also.