Summer grafting technique that works

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Jlo, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Jlo

Jlo Active Member

Hey guys,
    Just wanted to share my success with a different way to graft that I had not seen described very often for maples but works very well. It is a T-bud technique I stumbled across from one of our local nurseries in Australia, video below:

I grafted a bunch of maples late summer (late Feb/early March for us down here) with a combination of this method and the traditional side veneer. 100% of the T-bud grafts took while only 50% of the veneer ones worked for me. Now that might be because I'm new to grafting and my cambion matching is probably sub-par compared to experienced grafters, however I found the T-bud method extremely forgiving.

The one caveat is that you need slightly older root stock in order to lift the bark. If the root stock is too young or too thin, it's impossible to lift the bark properly, so 2-3 year old rootstock seems the best.

Jon

2. Shin-Deshojo

Shin-Deshojo Well-Known Member

Nice, thank you for sharing.

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Some great techniques being shared on the forum from all over the world atm. This is fantastic stuff everyone. Brilliant Jon..