Identification: Help Identifying a Maple

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Portland144, Apr 9, 2021.

1. Portland144

Portland144 New Member

Hello everyone!

My fiancé and I recently purchased a home about a year ago. This Maple was in the backyard but I’m not exactly sure what variation it would be. Would anyone be able to assist in trying to determine which it is?

The other issue is, we are looking to build a small studio guest house in the backyard for my mother in law to live with us and will need to remove it. It is a beautiful tree but there isn’t anywhere else on the property we could relocated it to. It is massive as we measured it to be about 30ft tall and 31ft wide. Is there even a market for these types of trees to sell? The only reason I ask is the funds could be used toward the building of the guest home. I imagine the cost of even transplanting a tree of this size would be very costly in itself and if there is no market we may list it as free to anyone who wants to professionally remove it.

It was honestly making me a bit sad to remove it and was even thinking of just doing an addition onto the side of the house for my mother in law so we didn’t have to remove it. But my fiancé’s prefers the idea of a separate guest house. :(

Thank you for any help anyone may be able to provide!

Attached Files:

Acerholic and AlainK like this.
  2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good evening and welcome to the maples forum. That is a beautiful tree and it is a shame it has to be moved. As far as someone to take this off your hands, then I feel that this maybe not the place to find a person to do this. But if you take a look at Japanese maples on YouTube, you will find someone very quickly indeed.
    Now as far as ID is concerned, this is often difficult, but do take a look at this link as I feel it is very close.

Acer palmatum 'Sumi nagashi'

Good luck with whatever decision you come to.

D

Portland144 and AlainK like this.
  3. Portland144

Portland144 New Member

Thank you for your reply! I appreciate it! That definitely looks pretty close the the one we have. :)

DBS and Acerholic like this.
  4. 0soyoung

0soyoung Rising Contributor

I think it is an A.p. "Tsukushi Gata".

Acerholic likes this.
  5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Unless raised from a cutting forking from the base suggests it is not a grafted clone of a named selection but rather an unnamed purple seedling.

AlainK and emery like this.
  6. Acerholic

You have a very good eye for these things J.

0soyoung likes this.
  7. 0soyoung

0soyoung Rising Contributor

I am intimate with the one in my backyard! [lol]

AFAIK there is only one other A.p. cultivar that has dark, chocolaty-red leaves with green veins, but "Umegae" has a distinctively different leaf shape.

@Ron B, makes a good point. My "Tsukushi Gata" has a similar multi-trunk form, but was grafted very low. It seems possible that @Portland144's is as well, but difficult to see because of the accumulation of leaf litter and etc. over the years.

8. Acerholic

Yes agreed it is impossible to see.
    Nothing wrong with being intimate with our trees btw, they do enjoy a hug, lol.

0soyoung likes this.
  9. DBS

DBS New Member

This is Acer palmatum baumel.

10. Acerholic

Good evening @DBS and welcome to the forum. What a choice to come straight in with as a first posting. You obviously have previous knowledge of this cultivar.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  11. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Personally I have a hard time IDing cultivars from photos, especially when there aren't any particularly strong characteristics. So I'd go with Ron's idea as easily as any.

Why 'Baumel' @DBS? I've never seen it in person, but photos (including on this forum) look a lot like standard f. atropurpureum seedlings (or 'Bloodgood'' if you prefer.)

12. Acerholic

I'm hoping to see a reply from DBS also and with photos, as this is not a cultivar seen over here.

13. DBS

DBS New Member

Yes,
    It was cultivated by myself and Nancy Fiers of Mt. Maples after I made contact in 1996.
    It was briefly sold thru her site in 2004 since she had a few and went to the trouble of propagating.
    It had made its way to a few individuals around the states and Holland. I’ve yet to make a formal introduction, so to speak.
    I’ve yet to see any good visual representations, it’s far, far prettier in person. And most text has been so so in descriptions.
    It’s being studied at the university of Maine, ornamental trials garden.

14. Acerholic

Good evening @DBS, you come with great qualifications having cultivated maples with the late Nancy Friers. As you have a close personal knowledge of Acer 'Baumel', and you are very sure the photo of the tree in @Portland144 posting is indeed that cultivar, you are more than likely to be correct. It would be great to see a photo of your original cultivation if you have one at hand, especially if this tree has been lost in history now.
    A very interesting posting, thankyou.

15. DBS

DBS New Member

16. Acerholic

@DBS
    Re your message to @Portland144,
    I’m new to these threads,
    I am not able to identify that tree.
    So sorry.
    Dbs

Not a problem DBS, but it was good to have another option for @Portland144.

17. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I share the frustration of selections that are difficult to photograph. Some compensate (naming no names!) by excess color saturation, so the gardener at home will always be disappointed compared to the photo.

I saw earlier that Cor has or had this at Esveld, not sure if he currently stocks it. His policy is to graft little known plants infrequently, just to keep them in circulation. His photo of 'Baumel' is perhaps not reflective of the real tree. Happily Cor doesn't enhance his photos beyond possible reality!

-E

18. Acerholic

Happening all too often these days E, especially on Ebay. Thankfully there are no photos on the Maples forum, including photos section that have been enhanced. 'To date.

19. DBS

DBS New Member

FYI @Portland144
    Gibbs garden is north of you,
    They are building a new garden, they are online,
    Their interest I believe was azaleas, Japanese maple and
    Conifers. If they know the variety it may be of particular interest.
    N.Y.botanical garden has a you tube video moving a tree. It’s possible.
    If not maybe, maybe you could get it pruned enough to reduce its size to fit your plan?
    If it’s an option,
    Atlanta has great arborists, call your county extension, and or
    Look for the National arborist association and hire an arborist to potentially
    Prune it back and can manage it’s care or tell you what to do.
    My favorite place to sit & be is under my trees.
    Hope you can save it!
    DBS

emery likes this.
  20. DBS

DBS New Member

Yes, before the pandemic we wanted to visit esveld with pics in hand.
    Here’s a upload_2021-4-14_17-51-5.jpeg

Acerholic likes this.
  21. Acerholic

Is this the Acer palmatum 'Baumel'. ? I think you hit send before finishing your sentence, ie Here's a ........

22. DBS

DBS New Member

Yes this is the Acer palmatum baumel.
    Spring photo, yesterday.

23. Acerholic

Good afternoon D, it is a wonderful maple, there is no doubt about that. Love the story that goes along with it also.