two latin name of maple off in one year

Discussion in 'Maples' started by alex66, Apr 11, 2021.

1. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

recentely two latin name Acer robustum and Acer caudatifolium are change by denrologisty for Acer Acer anhweiense and Acer kawamii -latin name are intenational for Flora and Fauna and well descrived the form of leaves for maple. The rule is easy ."for name use the firt name more old" for Acer caudatifolium the first name is "insulare" but is in use for another taxa-the second name is "caudatifolium"because this name is one month more old of the name about kawamii. kawamii is illegal name .i hope this error was correct in the next time-for the moment i have found news only for Acer caudatofolium .i search again for Acer robustum .

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

alex66 likes this.
  3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I don't know the precise chronology that caused the species taxonomy experts to choose A. kawakamii in place of A. caudatifolium, I only know that that is what happened. The explanations can sometimes be very involved.

A. anhweiense was somewhat more complicated, involving the one-time synonym A. ceriferum. I'll quote you the footnote (text from D. Crowley) from my edit of PG's profile to which D pointed you:

Flora of China gives precedence to Acer ceriferum Rehder (1911), with Acer robustum listed as
    a synonym due to its earlier use describing A. pseudoplatanus. However, Chang and Woo (2011)
    found so-called A. robustum and A. ceriferum to be different taxa, with the latter synonymous with
    A. duplicatoserratum. Given this scenario so-called 'robustum' then requires the earliest available
    name, which is A. anhweiense W. P. Fang & M. Y. Fang.

If you have no way of contacting the Species Group to ask for a specific explanation, or to complain about what you don't like, I can perhaps arrange an email contact. PM me if you would like a detailed explanation from someone in the group. I'm sure if you can offer irrefutable evidence of your claim, the name will be changed correctly.

-E

4. alex66

5. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Alex, no one on this forum can do anything about this. We are not the people who decide this stuff. If you really want to try and do something about it, you can contact Koen or Dan. Dan is the chairman of the species group, it was he that told me about caudatifolium now becoming kawakamii. If you don't have his contact info, PM me and I will give it to you. He can either explain it to you in a way that will satisfy you, or maybe you will convince him and the name will be changed back.

6. alex66

in this topic are easy :use first name -is the rule for International Code of Nomenclature -some years ago Acer mono was off for Acer pictum -i write in this forum beacuse every maples men know the different betwen -latin name (Acer caudatifolium ) and latinized name (Acer kawamii) and because is the Maple Forum Of The Maple Society and i 'm life member (number five) of this Society-
    Emery if you send me one pm i write to Dan e Koen-