Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Doogie

Doogie New Member

Here are a couple of my small guys.

Attached Files:

2. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Good morning N, you certainly have the shade you need from your neighbours trees for your maples.
    That Mikawa in the foreground is looking very healthy, it obviously likes it's location.

3. Acerholic

Good morning everyone, I wanted to show how a couple of mine are doing before the forecasted -5°C tonight. Might not be so cheerful tomorrow. Lol.
    Wills Devine 186.JPG Going Green 186.JPG Peve Ollie 187.JPG
    Wills Devine, Going green and Peve Ollie.

LoverOfMaples and LorenzoDec like this.
  4. Acirón

Acirón Active Member

Hi everyone!

The week has started!

Kind regards!

Attached Files:

• tsuma.jpg
      tsuma.jpg
      File size:
      95.3 KB
      Views:
    • gg.jpg
      gg.jpg
      File size:
      213.2 KB
      Views:
  5. Acerholic

Buenas tardes P, esos son los consejos más brillantes para un tsuma gaki que he visto en mucho tiempo. Harás que todos tengan mucha envidia.

D

Shin-Deshojo and Acirón like this.
  6. Acerholic

I've been thinking about some of the postings and how much flower there seems to be this Spring compared to many previous Springs and so whilst out for our early walk this morning, I thought what better example than this Acer platanoides Norway maple on the village green.
    Acer platanoides 187.JPG Acer platanoides 188.JPG

7. Acerholic

I wanted to show a few on here, as yesterday I was rather worried due to the impending hard frost of -5° C overnight. But the very very late night (0200hrs) spraying did the trick yet again. My neighbours were asleep like all sane people, so didn't witness this, lol.
    Bloodgood 188.JPG Orangeola 188.JPG Shaina 188.JPG English town 188.JPG
    They look fresh, but I'm shattered.....
    They are Bloodgood, Orangeola, Shaina and English Town.

8. GreenLarry

GreenLarry Active Member 10 Years

Norway Maple and flowers from today
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Three seedlings, the big one germinated three years ago I think, the other two are from last year. I don't know the parents. The bigger one is slightly weeping, one of the smaller ones has lime-green leaves with reddish tips, the last one looks a bit like 'Orange Dream' :

acerp-div-00123_210413a.jpg acerp-div-001_210413a.jpg acerp-div-001_210413b.jpg acerp-div-002_210413a.jpg acerp-div-002_210413b.jpg acerp-div-003_210413a.jpg

10. Acerholic

Good afternoon Larry, we both have seen these wonderful colours and posted today from different ends of the country, great minds think alike, I would hope !!! lol.

GreenLarry likes this.
  11. Acerholic

Those babies look nice and protected Alain. Wish all our trees could be so protected atm.

AlainK likes this.
  12. Del

Del Well-Known Member Maple Society

B70AB2DA-0A06-44F8-8FCC-6F9E82600E59.jpeg CF25ED3D-4E45-4F83-8DD3-D07671164219.jpeg 0ED0DDFD-F6D8-418A-A941-D4FB39759831.jpeg CC69B1AE-4CF7-42C1-8632-0DE8814B535C.jpeg
    Extravaganza, Butterscotch, Reticulatum Como and Alpenweiss

13. Acerholic

14. Del

Del Well-Known Member Maple Society

Yes they are in the polytunnel at the moment but I am starting to get some out into the garden, I’ve planted 20 odd in the last couple of days, they are fairly near the house so hopefully won’t get frosted.
    I’ve only had Butterscotch a month or so, it’s a little early to pass judgement, it was an ebay purchase but it’s a healthy, good size tree.

15. Acerholic

Oh for a polytunnel atm with these frosts. All looking good though Del. Very impressive indeed.
    Regarding Butterscotch, yes I've seen it advertised on ebay also, I think a lot of members will be very interested to hear your opinion on it over the coming months. Do consider creating a thread just for this on the maple cultivar photos section. Then it can be referred to directly and not get lost on these big threads.

16. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Another one from unknown parents :

acerp-div-004_210413a.jpg

'Atropurpureum dissectum' (in the background, an Acer monspessulanum that is just budding out. It has never flowered and I haven't pruned it for 2 years, so maybe I'll finally get some seeds after some 20 years!), 'Hama-matoi' (the variegation appears later), and shirasawanum 'Autumn Moon', all three with flowers. The red ones have suffered a bit from the frost :

acerp_atro-dis02_210413a.jpg acerp-hanamatoi_210413a.jpg acershir-a.moon_210413a.jpg

Shirasawanum 'Aureum' unfolding, and one of his cousins, Acer pseudosieboldianum ssp. takesimense (from seed) :

acershir-aureum2_210413a.jpg acer-pseudosieb-tak-sem_210413a.jpg

17. GPA

GPA Well-Known Member

Purple Ghost

Attached Files:

18. Acerholic

Hay otros nuevos fantasmas oscuros o cultivares similares a los fantasmas, pero nada se compara con el fantasma púrpura. hermosa foto G.

Shin-Deshojo and GPA like this.
  19. GreenLarry

GreenLarry Active Member 10 Years

Ah you are in Hampshire?
    I spotted it while out on a walk with the dog

20. Acerholic

Good morning Larry, yes Hampshire born and bred so to speak. It is great when we have postings of the same tree, that on this occasion is 276 miles apart. I also love it when we get the same trees that we post and then see a reply from a member from somewhere in the world.

GreenLarry likes this.
  21. Acerholic

Good afternoon everyone, well I've been lucky so far with my trees, apart from the ones that get hit every Spring, ie Red Feather and Mikazuki. But they are making new buds, so in a few weeks all will be well.
    So here are six that enjoyed the spraying this morning after -2°C last night. Starfish, Reticulatum Purple, Emerald lace, Musashino, Peaches and cream and Karasugawa.
    Starfish 189.JPG Reticulatum purple 190.JPG Emerald lace 189.JPG Musashino  189.JPG Peaches and cream 189.JPG Karasugawa 189.JPG

22. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Lovely D. It’s now on my list. Thanks lol

I picked two more up today as I think they had been mislabelled. Well one mislabelled and priced ridiculously low.

Shishigashira in a 50ltr size. Beautiful shape, but just need to find a permanent home for it.

Another Moonrise but even better shape than my last purchase.

I got change from £100 for both I literally feel like I won the lottery;-)

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

Good afternoon Luke, you really are getting some amazing maple bargains atm. That Shishigashira in a 50ltr pot would usually go for well over a hundred on it's own.
    Well done you!!

24. Acirón

Acirón Active Member

Good night!

two photos, one of them is an intruder...

Kind regards!

Attached Files:

LoverOfMaples and Acerholic like this.
  25. Acerholic

A veces, un intruso puede ser bienvenido, ¡¡¡bueno en el mundo vegetal !!! ¿Esa es la princesita? muy bonito lo que sea P.
    Thought I would give you a reply in Spanish. Hope it's OK P.

Shin-Deshojo and Acirón like this.