Non-Variegated monstera with white stripe

Discussion in 'Araceae' started by Ev Jones, Apr 9, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Ev Jones

Ev Jones New Member

Recently I saw on my non variegated monstera that Iv had for maybe half a year a inch long white stripe on one of the stem parts. It doesn’t look like the normal white parts it gets when new leaves come in. Is my monstera secretly variegated ??
    6B5ECBF5-F130-4A38-B4EE-750D58F9B461.jpeg 221D43F0-AE09-4E08-A9D2-D9EF2661D264.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2021
  2. bihai

bihai Well-Known Member 10 Years

It does look like true variegation. Variegation arises in the meristem tissue, goes up the petiole and is translated into the different color in the leaf. What is telling about yours is that the petiole after the white patch is actually mildly striped. The left side is lighter than the right. This looks to be a very weak case of variegation, it may or may not lead to something in the future. I have had single leaves on plants like one of my Caryota palms, my Anthurium waterburyanum and my Philodendron squamiferum have a spontaneous patch of variegation, and then it never recurs again

3. Ev Jones

Ev Jones New Member

Wow, that’s very strange. I have Always wanted a variegated monstera but I guess this counts. Thank you for responding I appreciate it very much!

oh also anyway I can make it more variegated? Like try and propagate that leaf part? Or any other ways?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2021
  4. bihai

Your plant looks too young to try and propagate that. You should let it ride...you have not shown the actual leaves...is there any variegation on them at all no matter how small? This may be transient and may go away. Or, it can stick. However, don't get your expectations too high...you only have the variegation on one petiole. Like I said, this type of chimeral variegation frequently expressed then goes away. If it does persist and you get actual sectional variegation on subsequent leaves, then yes when it is larger I would try to propagate that trait. I have a Philodendron White Wizard that does this. Most of her offsets are variegated....however, she threw a green stem. I didn;t want to toss it so I planted it in an out of the way place in my greenhouse to let it climb. It stayed green tie it put out one leaf with almost nonexistent speckling, followed by a more highly variegated leaf. I do now know if this trend will continue, I will just have to wait and see. First photo Mother plant leaf, 2nd all green cutting, third return or variegation

Attached Files:

5. Ev Jones

Ev Jones New Member

T
    Thank you for the advice! I’ll let it keep growing. I have no secondary variegation on the leaves but I’ll let you know if a new leaf pops up from it. Beautiful greenhouse btw!

6. bihai

Thanks!