In honour of Pr Philip 1971 visit cherry blossoms

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Georgia Strait, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    I realize this crosses a number of topic headings -

I like that it shows Prince Philip - and details some cherry blossoms on April 21,1971 in Victoria BC

this is from the CBC archives on website and records the visit for BC Centennial in April 1971 to mark 100 yr of BC being in Cdn Confederation

The photo of Queen (that daisy hat is a magnificent millinery artifact ) and fine naval officer Pr Philip and their daughter Anne shows a view looking west fr Stanley Park out under Lions Gate Bridge aka First Narrows - and the yacht club flotilla sending them off

On their own royal ferry to the Island. The Britannia ... I remember going to look. I bet the Rolls was the only vehicle on the car deck :)

Then they visit the BC Parliament Buildings in Victoria BC w our determined long-serving Premier WAC Bennett fr Kelowna

And CHERRY BLOSSOMS are noted by the reporter in the write-up and in the film footage - in the Inner Harbour of Victoria nr the Empress Hotel — it says “April 21/71”

Diff times in old BC — and cherry blossoms and other spring flowers both tended & in nature emerge reliably almost 50 yrs to the day. April 21, 1971 in Victoria BC.

Screen clips and link attached below

https://www.cbc.ca/archives/royal-visit-1971-british-columbia-centennial-1.5540123

Attached Files:

Margot, Acerholic and togata57 like this.
  2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Thank you for posting these, Georgia.

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

@Georgia Strait what a wonderful tribute from the forum Georgia. 'Excellent'.

4. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Further to initial post in this thread - i looked around and both the Tourism Victoria blossom map - and - Victoria Nikkei Cultural Society suggest that the cherry in 1971 photo during royal visit April 21/71 MIGHT be Kanzan

If we assume the photo / film was taken around the Legislature Buildings (Menzies St side)

PLEASE CORRECT ME - I am a learner here

See attached screen images below (the vintage image is CBC.ca)

I also added a color version of family on Royal Yacht Britannia departing Vancouver Harbour thru First Narrows so we can enjoy the full impact of that Cdn red outfit ... and I now realize the floral motif on the Queen’s chapeau is either a CHERRY-blossom ... or more likely a stylized wild DOGWOOD - our official BC floral emblem since 1956

(I called it a daisy, first post - mistake I think)

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  5. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

That looks the more likely answer Georgia.