British Columbia: Spring Swap - Greater Vancouver Area

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Plant Swaps and Meetups' started by heather2, Mar 9, 2006.

1. KarinL

KarinL Well-Known Member 10 Years

Darn, Vincent, I just wrestled the Aristolochia/Dutchman's Pipe out of the ground! Oh well, it will get to you, thanks to Katherine, or if you ever plan to come to town you are welcome to drop by for it. Good news is, that will give your Hydrangea aspera cuttings more time to root.

Last minute items:

anyone into ferns? I have some of Onoclea sensibilis I could bring, also Polystichum aculeatum, which is a tough evergreen similar to tassel fern, and Dryopteris remota. You'd have to ask for them in advance though as I have enough else to carry so far.

Hosta Summer Fragrance also available.

In return I'm happy to have annuals, tomato seedlings, or ...

2. KarinL

Also, Rene, I was going to ask if I could have a couple more items: Penstemon californicus and Salvia roemeriana if you have enough. If not, no sweat. I will see if I can find you some tiny plants in return.

3. Magua

Magua Member

Interestingly enough, KarinL, I just packed up a duo of Salvia roemerianas and a penstemon californicus for extras. :) They now have your name on them. Hmm. Onoclea sensibilis and a hosta summer fragrance would be nice, if you can spare some. :)

I'm also bringing for extras (or if someone wants some), a two-pack of Loasa nana and a single seedling of caulanthus inflatus (a really weird-looking annual), as well as a selection of my extra dieramas, of which I have quite a number. :)

4. Magua

Magua Member

KarinL, if you do have some small plants, that would be great too. :) If not, that's okay too. Thanks.

5. barvinok

barvinok Active Member

Rene could I have Loasa nana, please :-)

6. Magua

Magua Member

Barvinok, it's yours.

7. westcoastgarden

westcoastgarden Active Member

Lat year I rec'd a division of heuchera "amber waves" at our swap and alas I have come to the conclusion it definately did not survive the winter. I'd like to try again if anyone has a division available.

Thanks,

Katherine (WCG)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2006
  8. westcoastgarden

Going through all the posts to take down trades I discovered a few overlooked "wants"

If they are still available I am interested in the following from the following people,

BCgift - Sedum rupestri Angelina, Cortusa matthioli

JJ - Campanula glomerata

Karin - Loropetalum chinense

Also, for last minute trading I have a double english primrose (yellow) I can divide in the morning. I took a picture but it is a little blurry.

Helen, I will bring you 4 seeds for "jade" sunflowers from my package of 12.

I would like some help identifying a plant I rec'd in trade last year as a little seedling. I think it was from Magus. I have a picture below (I am always worried I am coddling a weed that took over a pot)

Nobody has asked me for much. Please check my postings again! I will bring extras of course but it is nice to know that I have something for everyone.

Belinda - a few items came from the Lindenburg order for you. Pkg'd Dahlia etc. I'll bring them. Most of the order still isn't here.

Attached Files:

9. Magua

Magua Member

WCG, do you mean the one on the left? Hmm. I can't remember what I gave you last year. I didn't keep the list, unfortunately, and I don't quite recognize the leaves from what I've grown, but it does look rather familiar, and I don't think it's a weed. The first things that came to mind were tellima grandiflora or mitella ovalis, but tellima's leaves aren't as rumply, and mitella's leaves are much smaller and are oval. I'll see what I grew last year and let you know if I figure it out, okay?

I wouldn't mind one of those English primsore divisions, though. I was thinking that my front door "garden" needs something short, yellow, and semi-shade tolerant. All I have ready to flower right now that's yellow is mimulus tilingii, and it seems to be upset about something (most of it didn't come back, except for a tiny rosette of leaves at the edge of the pot).

10. Magua

Magua Member

11. forestlover

forestlover Member

Hi Westcoastgarden:

I'll bring the Campanula glomerata for you. I'll also bring you the Jasminum 'Maid of Orleans' and Polypodium glycyrrhiza (Licorice Fern) that I promised you from last spring.

J J

12. westcoastgarden

Rene - I will bring you a division of the primula. I am looking at last years list of what I rec'd from you. Could it be primula saxatilis or primula sieboldii?

I will bring some extra peppers and tomatoes. Is anyone bringing basil?

JJ, Karen, Lily, Cecilia - I don't have anything written down to bring you? Is there anything I missed or that you can think of?

13. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

WCG: you're not alone with the Amber Waves - mine is down to a 2" stump but still barely hanging on. All of my peachy coloured ones are in steady decline. The additions are okay. Would like to try your red currant tomatoe please. Re Lindenberg - just when I'd decided I'm not growing Dahlias anymore because they're ho ma farn. Oh well, one more but remind me next year not to get any.

14. Magua

Magua Member

15. Magua

Magua Member

I just want to repeat this to let everyone know for sure, that I will be there quite late, probably around 4:00ish. I'll try to get there as soon as I can (hopefully before 4:00), but I get off at 3:00 from work, so I can't promise much. I can arrange something later for those who can't stay that late whom I owe plants for.

16. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

What are you all doing here - aren't you supposed to be on your way yet ?

17. KarinL

BCG: what is ho ma farn?

Well that was a delightful day; Heather thank you for having us, and thanks again to everyone who gave me goodies (and I mean plants, not just the goodies that I ate so copiously!).

Now to the "oopses"
    Helen, you left your snowdrops behind. If you still need some, I can drop them off sometime.
    Karen, I was reminded to divide the nectaroscordum later, and kept one for you, and can drop that off sometime too as I get to Port Moody quite regularly. Or if you want to pick it up, let me know.

And, if anything I gave anyone dies, there is always a replacement available, so don't hesitate to ask!

18. Gardenfever

Gardenfever Active Member

ho ma farn is chinese for too much work - loosely translated. :oD

Heather THANK YOU for hosting the swap. As usual it was great fun getting that sem-annual dose of garden-talk.

Oh Nectaroscordum! whichever works for me! Let's email and figure something out.

Ok, so show of hands of those going to the Van dusen sale!!! HAND!!!

Karen.

19. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Yes that's a loose translation - more like 'pain in the neck' !

Thank you all for a splendid trade, the gabbing, the food, and specially Heather2 for hosting. I'm already looking forward to the Fall, and thanks Cecelia for volunteering to host.

We all spent some at the nurseries as well Karen, but I'm game for Van Dusen as well.

20. westcoastgarden

I didn't get to spend any time at the nurseries (feel sorry for me) but I did manage a quick (and expensive) stop at Lee Valley on the way home. Among other things I bought the red tomato craters - I will let you know if they work.

Thanks Heather. You were a great host(ess) and I really enjoyed seeing your garden and indoor greenhouse (I want one of those!).

I am getting confused - when is the VanDusen sale? I think it is the Alpine sale I want to go to.

I posted pictures from the swap on the VanGuard site.

This was a good place to arrange the swap. Thanks Belinda for introducing some of us to the UBC forums. I like them a lot - though I probably should spend less time reading and writing about gardening and more time outside soon (but it is so chilly!!)

It was fun - I am looking forward to the fall.

Katherine

21. dahliadaze

dahliadaze Member

Thanks again for hosting a wonderful exchange, Heather. Either I've caught up to your level of cult mindedness, or we've all calmed down a bit!

If no one else has volunteered for the fall plant exchange, I can offer my place up next. I live in Burnaby, near Metrotown. I love how we have the spring exchange a week before the Van Dusen sale, so I don't binge. Is there a good day for fall?

Cecelia (the ex-newbie)

22. westcoastgarden

Thanks for offering Cecelia. Burnaby is nice and central.

Early to mid october seems to work well.

Katherine

23. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

Van Dusen sale is on a Sunday so I won't be there, but the Alpine Club sale is on
    Saturday May 6 1:00 to 4:00. However, Van Dusen has a list that they sell for $2.00
    so if I get energetic enough to go down there, someone may have to shop for me.

24. forestlover

forestlover Member

Hi all:

That swap was great! I really enjoyed myself, and I think everyone else did too, judging by all the smiles and laughter.

Thanks so much for hosting the swap Heather. It was a lovely way to spend the day.

Thanks to everyone who brought the snacks. That was a nice surprise. I'll bring some to the next swap.

Cheers, J J

25. tiger_lily

tiger_lily Active Member 10 Years

Thanks Heather and to all the group for a wonderful afternoon!

I always feel that I carry away WAAAAY more than I brought, and I appreciate all of you so generously sharing your plants with me.

I have tried to look into the issue about whether the seeds from my monstrous yellow rudbeckia are sterile, and in doing so, I have realized that it is not Rudbeckia "Autumn Sun", as I labelled the seeds. "Autumn Sun" has green "eyes", whereas mine has dark eyes, as far as I can recall. It is not Rudbeckia maxima (also a monster), since the leaves are more a reddish colour than the bluish as described. So I really don't know what to call this plant! I'd love to hear whether any seeds germinate, if anyone gives it a try.

Cecilia - Thanks for offering your place for the Fall, I look forward to it.

To anyone else reading this thread, I hope you will come out and join us in the Fall, we have such a good time, and now most of us already have the purple osteospermum and chocolate mint and other plants which thrive in our gardens - we need more people to share with!!