Cheering ourselves up with Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Acerholic, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

Oh yes!!!

2. Shin-Deshojo

Shin-Deshojo Well-Known Member

Took some pictures this afternoon,

A big dissectum i planted 2 days ago under a lovely pine my parents planted many years ago:

20210403_185440.jpg
    20210403_185503.jpg
    20210403_185446.jpg
    20210403_185428.jpg

Then some new additions from last year and this one , that i think they may become part of my favorites maples when they get older.

Momoiro koyasan:

20210403_185542.jpg

Taimin nishiki:

20210403_185737.jpg
    20210403_185740.jpg
    20210403_185746.jpg

Sawa chidori:

20210403_185752.jpg
    20210403_185817.jpg
    20210403_185822.jpg

And the last is "cripsii" (i love that cultivar but i hate to think that it may have been misslabeled as it seems we only see it in Europe and i still wonder which real cultivar it is), it's only leafing out now and will look better in a month or two:

20210403_185616.jpg
    20210403_185551.jpg

clorgan, vbx, Nik and 5 others like this.
  3. Acerholic

That is going to look amazing I, that position was made for that dissectum. Lots of protection as well. Which one is it ? Or are you going to surprise us all when it leafs out !!

4. Acerholic

Good morning everyone and a 'Happy Easter' to you all. Well I've been outside for two hours already, scurrying around my trees due to this frost. It's only 0720hrs now. What I thought I could do to stop the frost hitting my trees. Perhaps trying to be King Canute and driving it back, lol.
    Anyway the sun is now so bright and it appears I've got away with it, 'for now only' and so took these few to share.
    Muraski kiyohime 177.JPG Wilsons pink dwarf 177.JPG Mikawa yatsubusa 177.JPG Kasgi yama 177.JPG Atropurpureum 177.JPG Pixie 177.JPG Momoiro koyasan 177.JPG
    They are :- Murasaki Kiyohime, Wilson's pink dwarf, Mikawa Yatsabusa, Kasagiyama, Atropurpureum, Pixie and Momoiro Koyasan.
    Have a great day and not too much chocolate now.

LoverOfMaples, clorgan, vbx and 4 others like this.
  5. Shin-Deshojo

Good morning D,
    Yes I think I found the good spot for this one,
    although he handle full sun without problem.

Unfortunately I do not know the cultivar as I collected it in a private garden.
    It has a red that I find more vivid than any other red dissectums that I have seen personaly.
    My bet is crimson queen but I hope maybe one of us on this forum will help me find out when i'll post more pictures.

Acerholic likes this.
  6. Acerholic

A rescue maple, I think that is so great and should be done more. What a fantastic find I.
    We will all have a try at identifying when it leafs out, but if it is Crimson Queen as you say, then you will be overjoyed at the amazing colours this year. Well done you.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  7. LorenzoDec

LorenzoDec Active Member

Happy Easter to everyone! This is the perfect day to be outside and take some photos

Attached Files:

8. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Colours starting to come through nicely now , keep this in the utility room, another 3/4 weeks the leaf will be quite advanced with better colour, but it's coming on slowly.

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      175.6 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      124.2 KB
      Views:
  9. Acerholic

Totally agree Lorenzo, a good to be alive day!! Happy Easter to you also.
    Those maples are looking wonderful, oh for Rome weather.

LorenzoDec likes this.
  10. Acerholic

What a comparison to Lorenzo's weather eh M, but you do so very well there in Yorkshire. I know I wouldn't cope.

11. Luke’s Maples

Luke’s Maples Generous Contributor

Remember to prune out any reverting branches straight away. Super important with this variety.

12. Acerholic

Did I miss what variety it is Luke ? Would like to know if it will help a maple I have.

13. Luke’s Maples

Taimin Nishiki

14. Acerholic

Thanks Luke
    Ahhh I haven't got that one. Does look very nice, perhaps I can persuade my daughter for her garden, lol.

15. Luke’s Maples

Mark bought the one I got from Maillot which was highly variegated. I got another from Esveld and after they sent it they said their mother tree had completely reverted so don’t expect much. Great. Thanks for telling me this after sending it lol

Shin-Deshojo and Acerholic like this.
  16. Acerholic

All good info though for anybody thinking about buying this cultivar.

17. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

There are a few maples in the park, some in full leaves like these two. The green one with lots of flowers must be the plain species of Acer palmatum, the other one could be 'Deshojo' :

re-IMG_7192.jpg re-IMG_7194.jpg re-IMG_7197.jpg re-IMG_7198.jpg re-IMG_7201.jpg

Others are just leafing out. None of them is labelled, the second one could be a shirasawanum of some sort :

re-IMG_7196.jpg re-IMG_7199.jpg re-IMG_7200.jpg

[edit] "in the park", not "in the ark". Funny typo ;-) [/edit]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  18. Acerholic

There are very few that can beat the deep pink coloured red of Deshojo in Spring IMO.
    Looks like you also had a very nice Easter Sunday Alain.

19. vbx

vbx Active Member

The reds are beautiful!

20. Shin-Deshojo

Beautiful pictures of your taimin nishiki ! @ROEBUK

21. Acerholic

Good morning, I was talking about being paranoid about my maples with Kyle @kgeezy20 last night and as I was checking my trees at 0530hrs this morning, I thought to myself, 'D you may have a problem', lol. But hey ho, no point getting older if you can't get a little more eccentric!!!
    Anyway here area few photos of my babies who enjoyed 'NO' frost last night. But tomorrow is a whole different story.
    Red sentinal 181.JPG Yasemin 181.JPG Westonbirt spreading star180.JPG Deshojo 180.JPG Zaaling 181.JPG Shaina 180.JPG
    They are, Red Sentinal (or Twombleys red sentinel),Yasemin, Westonbirt Spreading Star, Deshojo, Zaaling and Shaina.

22. Shin-Deshojo

I had the same worries last night to discover thus morning it did not freeze at all, as you say we can expect it these 2 next days so good luck to everyone.

23. Acerholic

Do you know I, there is not a lot of sleep going on here because of the forecasts. Are we all the same on this forum? I'm beginning to think we are, Lol.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.
  24. Shin-Deshojo

I personally am ,D.
    Lol.

Acerholic likes this.
  25. Acerholic

Bleary eyed this week then I, Lol.

Shin-Deshojo likes this.