British Columbia: Laurel and not so Hardy

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Roy Sinn, Mar 31, 2021.

1. Roy Sinn

Roy Sinn Member

Family in Squamish has a row of young Portuguese Laurels that have developed brown spots (see photos). Looks like winter burn. Thought it might be a fungus but I gather that's not as likely and the newer leaves seem to be undamaged. Plants about 4' high, in large (3'x3'x16') planters, under cedars with a 24'(?) canopy.

Thoughts? Thanks folks!

Attached Files:

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Closer views needed

Roy Sinn likes this.
  3. Sulev

Sulev Contributor

It looks winter damage indeed. Plants may have trouble with getting water from cold ground, while wind together with sun are drying leaves that are cut of from supply. Damaged leaves will turn brown. AFAIK, there is no remedy, if damage is already done. You can protect your laurels by shading from winds and direct sun when coldest season is about to arrive.

Roy Sinn likes this.
  4. Roy Sinn

Roy Sinn Member

Hello Ron - Thanks for your prompt reply. I tried to upload the photos again but the Forum compresses them. So I've attached 3 images that zoom in on key areas to show affected areas that also show some new leaves and buds that don't appear to be damaged. If you're looking to see something else/more, lemme know. My recommendation so far is see how it leafs out (maybe in one or two weeks?) and check the buds and new leaves. If brown/black/dead, probably not (just) winter burn and maybe some treatment is needed. (Trying to stay away from "chemo" treatment unless absolutely necessary). In the meantime, clear the dead leaves on the ground, snip off the damaged areas and put down some mulch. Your advice would be muchly appreciated.

Attached Files:

5. Roy Sinn

Roy Sinn Member

Thanks Sulev. Muchly appreciate your perspective. Site is not definitely not exposed to sun but definitely winds - and they had a couple of very chilly blasts the winter. Looking again at the healthy buds and the new leaves and think more that it was burned during the winter.

6. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Are these shrubs planted in buckets (nursery containers)?

I am looking at original Post photos

I am familiar w Howe Sound weather and some of the cold outflows truly arrive in an hour — suddenly

When did the Coast have that deep chill and snow ——- somewhere in Feb 2021?

I seen some tips of daffodils that are brown cuz they emerged early then got frosted

7. Georgia Strait

To add to prev post - someone was asking in 2020 in this general forum about a hedge in Squamish and I think asking what to plant —- I can’t find the post / thread at this time

It might have info helpful to this thread

8. Georgia Strait

And yes your thread title is good garden humour - I like it!

Roy Sinn and Margot like this.
  9. Douglas Justice

Douglas Justice Well-Known Member UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society 10 Years

Laurel and Not-so-Hardy? Har har har.

Roy Sinn and Georgia Strait like this.
  10. Roy Sinn

Roy Sinn Member

Hi Georgia. Thanks for responding. I thought one of the plants was in a black pot, too. But it's a weeper hose. Can't remember when those really cold days were - I think there were a couple this past winter.

11. Georgia Strait

Oh - the other thread about Squamish was you — maybe the same garden ?

British Columbia: - What's eating these plants?

I have grown in past decade a successful Portuguese Laurel on the west side of Howe Sound and susceptible to the sudden cold outflows in winter — but that one in Feb 2021 I think was bitter cold within such a short time after some lazy early spring lulling all of us.

12. Roy Sinn

Roy Sinn Member

Yup - same garden and that was also my post (and thanks again for responding to that one). I think there's consensus that this is not a biotic problem, just scars from bitter cold.